MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
really important Juve General Discussion 30 10-21-2010 07:50 AM
Used Book Requests/Advertisements: Important Message from MacInsiders goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-15-2009 07:46 AM
Which Presentations Are Most Important? dimoxyel First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-04-2008 09:38 AM
Important Dates Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-02-2007 04:00 PM

Important Changes Regarding MacInsiders

Old 12-10-2011 at 01:24 PM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
They've actually been under federal investigations and looked at by the FTC (recent news as of Sept and November of this year), especially after releasing the new 'timeline' feature (all your private wall posts right from the start when you used facebook were published to your timeline automatically).
Wait, even if you haven't signed up for it yet?
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 12-10-2011 at 02:50 PM   #31
anonanon987
Power Abuser
Program: Business Informatics
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 461 Times
Nice set of updates, hopefully there are less bot threads now.
Old 12-10-2011 at 02:53 PM   #32
Kathy2
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
You know that Facebook isn't well known for protecting privacy right? Facebook uses your info to sell targeted advertising and information to marketers that partner with them, thats how they make their money and why they can keep it free. They've broken privacy rules and changed their privacy policies and privacy controls so many times. They've actually been under federal investigations and looked at by the FTC (recent news as of Sept and November of this year), especially after releasing the new 'timeline' feature (all your private wall posts right from the start when you used facebook were published to your timeline automatically). Just search google and you'll see all the Facebook issues with privacy.
Yes, I know all this, which is why I put next to nothing on Facebook. I don't have a "wall" so people can't post anything to me. I generally just message people via their Facebook inbox or whatever it's called.
Old 12-10-2011 at 02:57 PM   #33
anonanon987
Power Abuser
Program: Business Informatics

Liked: 461 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Yes, I know all this, which is why I put next to nothing on Facebook. I don't have a "wall" so people can't post anything to me. I generally just message people via their Facebook inbox or whatever it's called.
Wow, that's a first for me.
Old 12-10-2011 at 09:21 PM   #34
kirsten..!
Program: Geography & Earth Sciences
Residence: Off-Campus

Liked: 26 Times
i dont know if its jsut my computer, but when i go onto macinsiders it usually says in the bottom right corner something like there are __ students online, __ which are members.. or something... but it never says a number anymore its just blank. ive gone on IE and chrome and neither shows a number.. i always just found it interesting to see how many people were online, especially during times when mugsi/solar are just opening hahahhaha... so if this is a glitch it should be fixed
Old 12-10-2011 at 09:48 PM   #35
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsten..! View Post
i dont know if its jsut my computer, but when i go onto macinsiders it usually says in the bottom right corner something like there are __ students online, __ which are members.. or something... but it never says a number anymore its just blank. ive gone on IE and chrome and neither shows a number.. i always just found it interesting to see how many people were online, especially during times when mugsi/solar are just opening hahahhaha... so if this is a glitch it should be fixed
Are you referring to the homepage? I still see that box of members online...
Old 12-10-2011 at 09:52 PM   #36
kirsten..!
Program: Geography & Earth Sciences
Residence: Off-Campus

Liked: 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Are you referring to the homepage? I still see that box of members online...

yeah! for me the box comes up but never actually says a # of people .. ive tried on chrome and ie and it always just says "There are currently students on MacInsiders, of them are members."

MacPack likes this.
Old 12-10-2011 at 09:57 PM   #37
jim1
Elite Member
Faculty: Engineering
Year: Other

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:
yeah! for me the box comes up but never actually says a # of people .. ive tried on chrome and ie and it always just says "There are currently students on MacInsiders, of them are members."
Yep, same thing happens with me...the same box appears the minute I get on MI, and then disappears after like 3 seconds, weird...
Old 12-10-2011 at 11:16 PM   #38
nerual
Account Disabled by User
Program: Chemical Biology
Residence: Les Prince 08-09

Liked: 345 Times
Quote:
This happens to me too, it's been like this for months, although it used to show real numbers...I use Firefox if that makes a difference.
Old 12-11-2011 at 07:20 AM   #39
Biochem47
Elite Member
Program: Science

Liked: 73 Times
Quote:
I can't see it either! I use chrome.

EDIT: Yes I can!! haaha wayyy at the bottom...didn't even know it was there!
Old 12-12-2011 at 12:14 AM   #40
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,731 Times
Quote:
Thanks for pointing this out. I have fixed it so it now correctly shows the number of users online.

These are message alert boxes that pop up when you visit macinsiders.com and are logged into your account, the first one will tell you how many users are online at this moment in time, and the second tells you how many new messages (if any) are in your MacInsiders inbox.
Old 12-12-2011 at 12:53 PM   #41
Chevalier
Elite Member
Program: not entirely sure
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 203 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
I dont know if its only me, but the rewards page has been very finky..havent gotten pionts for twitter posts
iu was actually wondering about this. i remember having this rewards ribbon pop up when i came on MI and tell me how many points i have and such, but i havent seen that in a while now. also i somehow managed to find a rewards page which said to click on the ribbon to the right to see the points i have but there was no ribbon. if the rewards thing still going on?
Old 12-12-2011 at 01:01 PM   #42
Snowman
Elite Member
Program: Engineering & Management
Year: Fifth

Liked: 180 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
iu was actually wondering about this. i remember having this rewards ribbon pop up when i came on MI and tell me how many points i have and such, but i havent seen that in a while now. also i somehow managed to find a rewards page which said to click on the ribbon to the right to see the points i have but there was no ribbon. if the rewards thing still going on?
if you go to "my profile" then go to donate points, that links you to the reward stuff then just go from there. thats what ive always done
Old 12-12-2011 at 01:18 PM   #43
Chevalier
Elite Member
Program: not entirely sure
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 203 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan H. View Post
if you go to "my profile" then go to donate points, that links you to the reward stuff then just go from there. thats what ive always done
umm i think thats a different type of reward points; there are reward points which you can use to change username, color, signature, etc. so used for stuff on forums. and then there are reward points used to get gift cards to amazon and stuff i believe???? those are the ones which i am referring to
Old 12-13-2011 at 02:35 AM   #44
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,731 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
umm i think thats a different type of reward points; there are reward points which you can use to change username, color, signature, etc. so used for stuff on forums. and then there are reward points used to get gift cards to amazon and stuff i believe???? those are the ones which i am referring to
See announcement:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...3#p ost294373

Chevalier says thanks to Chad for this post.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search