MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP Variance in income letter TimPenCarr Financial Aid 1 08-01-2013 01:04 PM
osap: verification of enrollment jake0405 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-01-2012 02:22 PM
OSAP and bursary income Chopinetude Financial Aid 0 06-12-2012 02:17 PM
Is bursary consider an income for OSAP? bubblefish Financial Aid 2 06-08-2011 09:04 PM
OSAP - income as a psych TA Duarch Financial Aid 3 06-10-2010 06:23 PM

'Income verification' OSAP - am I doing this right?

Old 08-21-2014 at 09:41 AM   #1
MikeyO

Liked: 0 Times

'Income verification' OSAP - am I doing this right?
I logged on to OSAP to check the status of my loan and I noticed something off on the income verification page.

So for my student income it says 'to be determined' as if its still pending.. I don't know why that would be. I was sick all year and never got a chance to work, never received any T4s so never got a chance to file for a tax return.

The OSAP lady told me that my tax return doesn't matter unless it's significant amount of income (which its not)

Whats even weirder is the part that says 'Father's Income'. I've never met my father and when I was filling out the form I noted that I had one parent and that one parent was my mother.

Is this some kind of typo and they just mean to say 'parent income'? Or are they actually checking my father's income and gauging my OSAP funds on that?
Old 08-21-2014 at 11:51 AM   #2
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 165 Times

They can't check your father's income if you didn't give them his SIN #, so the "father's income" could still be pending as well because the information is missing. I'd call OSAP and get this sorted out just in case
Old 08-21-2014 at 05:16 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Even if you didn't work and have no T4s, you should still file a tax return. You get money from the government that way, and it simplifies things like OSAP income verification. It sounds like the person you talked to meant that the information on that tax return doesn't matter unless you have significant income. I'm not sure how they verify your claims otherwise. It says on their website that to be considered for OSOG you need to file a tax return...I'm not sure about getting the loans though.

The part where it asks for father's income might be an error on the part of OSAP or in how you filled out the form, but you should get it sorted out ASAP so you get your loans.

You can either call OSAP or the SFAS at McMaster - google them for contact info.