MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health Sci 3K03 SciMania Academics 0 08-25-2010 06:35 AM
Health Sci 3K03? Mr.Prodigy Academics 0 05-31-2010 05:36 PM
Bio 3F03 or 3K03 SciMania Academics 1 02-01-2010 06:29 PM
Bio 3K03 mitch 3rd Year Course Reviews 1 07-13-2009 09:46 AM
Questions about a couple of courses: Econ, History, Indig St aani Academics 3 06-18-2009 08:31 PM

Indig St 3k03

Old 08-05-2009 at 09:09 PM   #1
Slania

Liked: 1 Time

Indig St 3k03
I'm in second year, got permission to take the course from the prof, but he suggested I leave it to third year as it's particularly difficult.
Has anyone taken this course before? And if so, any feedback about it?
Old 08-05-2009 at 09:37 PM   #2
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Never taken the course, but here's the course description:

"INDIGENOUS HUMAN RIGHTS:

A study of government policies and their impact on Indigenous Peoples, specifically Indian Affairs in Canada and the United States. Topics will include individual and collective rights of Indigenous Peoples and the conceptual problems which arise in a Westernized justice system.

Three hours (lectures and seminars); one term

Prerequisite(s): Six units of Level II Indigenous Studies or permission of the instructor "
Old 08-06-2009 at 11:04 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I'm registered in this class for the upcoming year as well.

If you've never taken an ISP class, it may give you some challenges, depending on what other academic areas you've studied. If you have knowledge of Poli Sci, Anthro, Cultural Studies or Sociology you may not struggle too much. Of course you'll need some knowlege of Indigenous issues as well. Hopefully you took one of the first year courses last year?

Hayden can be a more difficult marker than some profs. I had him for two second year classes last year, and I found marks didn't come too easily.

This course will also be something that is a) really important to him as an Indigenous person and b) something close to his research interests as his MA is in Poli Sci...so again there is the potential for him to be marking a bit harder.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement