osap info????? neff General Discussion 2 09-11-2008 03:10 PM

info

Old 10-26-2009 at 10:13 AM   #1
devitha

Liked: 0 Times

info
Hello Mitch,
The info you give is very help full for every on thank you,
My daughter is in grade 8 and I like her to be came a doctor, can you please give her some info what she has to follow and what not,
And also, give her some guidance from grade 8 to McMaster
Thank you
Old 10-26-2009 at 11:10 AM   #2
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Oh noes :S I would suggest as a sociologist: not forcing your daughter to become a doctor from this early an age. I know it is part of the South Asian culture to become a doctor, MBA, Computer Engineer or CA as an acceptable means of livelihood. I was expected to do something like that as well, it is only my exceptional academic excellence in Social Science subjects that convinced my parents to let me do what I want and the notion that I know what I'm doing.

But I have serious concerns with trying to "mold" your daughter to become a doctor from THAT early an age. Let her explore what she wants to do with her life!

On topic though, Science courses(Chem, Bio, Physics) coupled with critical thinking & comprehension subjects like English will be a good idea. Other then that she should start Volunteering from an early age if she wants to stand out in her inevitable application to faculty of Health Sciences or in the far future Med School.

*shakes head*

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

daisy, danallan like this.
Old 10-26-2009 at 11:59 AM   #3
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I would suggest as a sociologist
You're a sociologist now, eh?
Old 10-26-2009 at 12:07 PM   #4
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
You're a sociologist now, eh?
Well lol sort of; I thinkkkk I probably am qualified enough for this little commentary...I've done Sociology of Education and Differential achievement and general background regarding this whole Asian: Lets force kids to become what we want them to phenomenon

But I alternate between Economic Rationality and Sociological left wingism all the time!

Old 10-26-2009 at 12:14 PM   #5
danallan

Liked: 27 Times

i don't have any kids, but i would like my eventual son to be a pro baseball player.
any advice on the type of mate i should find or the training i should put him through?
thanks!!

Flag, sinthusized like this.
Old 10-26-2009 at 12:38 PM   #6
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

...umm who's Mitch?
Old 10-26-2009 at 12:40 PM   #7
Shanel

Liked: 150 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallan View Post
i don't have any kids, but i would like my eventual son to be a pro baseball player.
any advice on the type of mate i should find or the training i should put him through?
thanks!!
I suggest a heavy steroid regiment.
Old 10-26-2009 at 01:12 PM   #8
Quester

Liked: 6 Times

Wtf. Is this a joke?
Old 10-26-2009 at 01:24 PM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Oh noes :S I would suggest as a sociologist: not forcing your daughter to become a doctor from this early an age. I know it is part of the South Asian culture to become a doctor, MBA, Computer Engineer or CA as an acceptable means of livelihood. I was expected to do something like that as well, it is only my exceptional academic excellence in Social Science subjects that convinced my parents to let me do what I want and the notion that I know what I'm doing.

But I have serious concerns with trying to "mold" your daughter to become a doctor from THAT early an age. Let her explore what she wants to do with her life!

On topic though, Science courses(Chem, Bio, Physics) coupled with critical thinking & comprehension subjects like English will be a good idea. Other then that she should start Volunteering from an early age if she wants to stand out in her inevitable application to faculty of Health Sciences or in the far future Med School.

*shakes head*
Why is this guy automatically azn?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

danallan likes this.
Old 10-26-2009 at 01:41 PM   #10
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Why is this guy automatically azn?
South Asian (brown), and it seems so from the user name.
Old 10-26-2009 at 02:00 PM   #11
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quester View Post
Wtf. Is this a joke?
Not really! I'm not the least bit surprised/shocked by such a question coming from a similar cultural background! On the other hand this is a bit extreme-ish; its like the father of the Williams Sisters. He wanted to make money of his kids he thought to himself: what sport guarantees money for female players? He randomly came across/decided on Tennis and taught himself the game from scratch and then started to train the sisters when they were like 5-6 :S The Williams sisters didn't start playing for fun and then became good at it; they were indirectly forced to play that game. Oh and yeah he moved them from suburbia in Michigan to a Los Angles Ghetto because he thought "they should live through a rough early life so that they become mentally tough" or something like that :S

Old 10-26-2009 at 03:24 PM   #12
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

;__;

Your child is in grade 8. She still has 4 more years of high school and 4 (or more!) years of university left.

Just because you want your child to become a doctor, it doesn't mean that they want to be a doctor. It's that kind of pressure that puts them off from the medical field in the first place. Let kids be kids. :\

daisy, Taunton like this.
Old 10-26-2009 at 03:57 PM   #13
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteskie View Post
...umm who's Mitch?

If it is the same Mitch, then he was a kin student here (and used to comment on MI) who graduated last year and got accepted to med school