MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When do first years do course selection? doppelganger Academics 5 06-14-2011 10:57 AM
Happy New Years Chad MacInsiders Announcements 13 01-01-2011 08:15 PM
New Years resolutions? Rakim General Discussion 41 12-30-2010 10:15 PM
Incoming first years! zeChinaman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 09-01-2010 10:06 AM
4th years lorend Academics 0 11-10-2007 09:58 AM

Infractions- are we 8 years old?

Old 07-27-2011 at 02:19 PM   #16
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

Nah not the same guy, I'm usually not someone who would get upset at stuff in the internet, this one just took me by surprise.

Nope not the same person

Last edited by jhan523 : 07-27-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2011 at 02:30 PM   #17
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I was wondering if he was the DC++ Chandler at first too... but I'm pretty sure he isn't :p. This post would have had a lot more rage and cursing if he were.
His ragequits are the best.
Old 07-27-2011 at 02:59 PM   #18
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

It's pretty wonderful getting enough infractions to get banned for simply stating McMaster is a bad school.

modsbemad

Old 07-27-2011 at 03:00 PM   #19
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Chandler graduated.

Oh yeah, that being said, I also have 2 infractions for shit I would said in real life anyway.
One of them was for swearing, which is quite ridiculous since we're all adults and shouldn't be getting our feelings hurt for words on the internet.

Last edited by jhan523 : 07-27-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2011 at 03:07 PM   #20
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

It's called a public forum, key word being public. You can't please everyone, but the people that get upset with things like swearing are a far more outspoken group when their feelings are hurt. Therefore, you have to maintain control.

It's the way life is. For 98% of us, we have to frustratingly put up with the remaining 2% that can't take a joke, or take a swear word.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 07-27-2011 at 03:32 PM   #21
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
In a way (aside from that guy that kept posting different marks to see if they were good enough to get in), you kind of just have to live with it and not be mean to them.

For a lot of these people, it's literally their first time posting and they have no idea what has been posted before and think whatever they're asking is unique. Telling them "Look at this thread for your answer" is good enough. Pretty much nobody uses the search button on their first visit to a forum.

Also, if you're raging at repetitive posting, it's kind of a sign you're spending too much time on a site :p. I pretty much had "File > Preferences > Connection Settings > Set firewall to passive" commited to muscle memory for whenever anyone asked "Why is DC++ not working for me?" back when I used to troll the DC.
THIS.

Why are you here during your birthday? you should be doing fun things, like being with friends.
Old 07-27-2011 at 03:38 PM   #22
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Hi Jeff

Speaking generally, and not specifically to your certain infraction or situation:

The infraction system was implemented to help cut down on the amount of trolling and spam in the forums, and it has worked very very well. If the system was not implemented, you would see hundreds if not thousands of posts that have been made which are completely useless, spammy, or attacking. The MI community is made up of fantastic members who take their time to help each other and provide valuable answers to questions. Then, there are users who post silly remarks, attacks, useless content, spam, or trolling/flame bait posts.

The Code Of Conduct addresses this and sets the bar for the quality of content we expect in this forum. I believe the rules are pretty straight forward and fair for everyone, by signing up and using the forum all members agree to abide by them. This isn't a 'free for all' forum where you can post garbage and expect to not get the posts removed. We have a very hard working moderator team that keeps the forums clean and discussions constructive, helpful, and on-topic. Sure, the system isn't perfect, but from what it was like prior to moderation and the Infraction System, the forums have been much better since.

As another user mentioned, if you have problems with the Code of Conduct then you have no obligation to remain on the site. But respect staff, moderators, and their decisions.

With regards to your particular post, the thread was about Commuting from Toronto to MAC. The OP posted a question asking what is the cheapest way to do so, and dozens of users responded with very insightful helpful solutions. You proceeded to post "gl hf gg dd /12char". Your post was then subsequently reported by a user as spam/not useful content. Moderators were all notified, and I took the time to read through the thread that was reported and agreed with the user that your post didn't appear to be useful at all. It was removed and an infraction given.

To give the argument to me asking if I've even bothered to read my own forum and seen that there are dozens of other 'useless' threads does not make your post acceptable. If there's other threads that break the rules then they either haven't been caught by a moderator or haven't been reported by other users. But just cause other's are doing it doesn't make it right.

If you have any further questions you can PM me anytime and I'll be happy to answer them.

Thanks.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Chad for this post.

adaptation, icecubz like this.