MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Microsoft upgrades Xbox Live with 40 entertainment services, live TV, and Kinect voic Chad Gaming 0 12-05-2011 03:33 AM
Stop forwarding mcmaster email to gmail khaotic General Discussion 1 10-22-2009 10:20 PM
Yahoo Fantasy Hockey Sky. General Discussion 5 09-30-2009 09:32 AM
Completely integrate your Mac Email into Gmail/Live/Yahoo Afzal General Discussion 14 08-30-2009 11:40 AM

How to Integrate Your Mac Email into Gmail/Live/Yahoo

How to Integrate Your Mac Email into Gmail/Live/Yahoo

BY AFZAL NAJAM

A lot of students hate using their McMaster email account, and frequently neglect to check it. MacInsiders user Afzal has written up some straight-forward instructions on how to integrate your Mac email into another email account.

First, we setup the mail-forwarding in your Mac account, as it is easier:
  • Open your Mac Inbox
  • Goto Rules
  • Check Redirect All Mail to: and enter the email address you wish to use in the box below.
  • Check Keep a copy and Preserve To/Cc Fields, if you want to
  • Click update.
Now all e-mail arriving at your Mac email address with be forwarded to your desired inbox, except the Facebook Network verification email...for some reason, it doesn't arrive.

For Gmail:
  • Open your Gmail Inbox
  • Go to Settings > Accounts and Import
  • Click the Send email as button
  • Type your McMaster email
  • Gmail will detect the SMTP server settings automatically, enter your Mac password in the form.
  • Check your Mac email Inbox for the verification link/code, or check this same inbox for the forwarded mail (which should arrive due to the forward rule)
  • Enter the code or follow the link
  • To send email with your Mac email ID, click the dropdown menu in the From: field when composing an email/reply
For Windows Live Mail:
  • Open up your WLM Inbox
  • Click Options > More Options in the top right corner
  • Manage your account > Send and receive email from other e-mail accounts
  • Add an e-mail account
  • Type your Mac email address and password
  • Click advanced options, input > Incoming mail Server: muss.cis.mcmaster.ca
  • Check your Mac email Inbox for the verification link/code, or check this same inbox for the forwarded mail (which should arrive due to the forward rule)
  • To send email with your Mac email ID, click the dropdown menu in the From: field when composing an email/reply
For Yahoo:
  • Open your Yahoo! inbox
  • Goto Options > Mail Options in the top right corner
  • For the New Yahoo! version, click Accounts in the left pane. For the dod one, click Mail Addresses in the right pane (you have to be in the Mail section)
  • Click Add > Enter Account name > Enter Name and your Mac Email ID
  • Enter the following details:
    Mail Server: muss.cis.mcmaster.ca
    username:
    password:
    Click Setup Mail server
  • Send Verification
  • Enter the Code or follow the link
Now you can ditch that MUSS Server, but be sure to check it atleast once a month for any mail that is not forwarded.

You can also make a different rule for the forwarding so that the mail is marked as read when it is forwarded.

For this:
  • Add a rule, edit it
  • From the drop-down menu, select Mirror To:
  • Enter your email address in the text box in the front. Click Update
  • Select Mark in the newly appeared drop-down and type read as parameter.
  • Back in the Rules page, empty the text box below Redirect All mails to: (otherwise you will receive 2 forwarded mails for every email.)

adrian, brendanp, jachill, katie_batt, manu, rrtt, scott000, shes-a-diva*, sinsintome all say thanks to Afzal for this post.

rache088 likes this.
Published by
Android Dev

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 09-21-2009 at 08:42 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Thanks so much Afzal! Awesome tips!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-21-2009 at 09:34 AM   #3
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
If you have access to Microsoft Outlook, you can have access to all of your email acounts right on your computer desktop, and so learning how to use it could be beneficial, especially if you've paid for an Office package.

Old 09-21-2009 at 11:21 AM   #4
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
Hmm but what If your email forwarding thing was already in place automatically? Like for some reason all of my Mac Emails have always been forwarded to the hotmail I used during OUAC Applications!

Do we need to change anything or is it all good?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-21-2009 at 12:03 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Hmm but what If your email forwarding thing was already in place automatically? Like for some reason all of my Mac Emails have always been forwarded to the hotmail I used during OUAC Applications!

You should check if the rules in your McMaster e-mail account. The OUAC application e-mails were probably just because of that time since you technically didn't have a McMaster e-mail. (I don't see how you could have a McMaster e-mail without activating and enabling your MacID services).

Old 09-21-2009 at 02:09 PM   #6
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post

are you sure? do mails sent in by teachers to your mcmaster email also reach your hotmail inbox?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
If you have access to Microsoft Outlook, you can have access to all of your email acounts right on your computer desktop, and so learning how to use it could be beneficial, especially if you've paid for an Office package.
i have never used outlook in my life...mainly due to the reason that i can access my emails faster on web

Last edited by Afzal : 09-21-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Old 09-21-2009 at 02:45 PM   #7
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
i have never used outlook in my life...mainly due to the reason that i can access my emails faster on web
If you set up Outlook, then it would obviously be faster than opening a browser and pointing to a new page... the fact that you're comparing using Outlook to using a web browser and saying "I've never used outlook" doesn't really make much sense.

I'm just making the point that a lot of people have Outlook because they have Office, and they don't use it... it can be intimidating for new users at first, but you can get help on the web or from more experienced users like myself. Outlook is an extremely useful program if you learn how to use it.

Last edited by Taunton : 09-21-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Old 09-21-2009 at 03:54 PM   #8
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times
very helpful, thank you

Old 09-21-2009 at 04:41 PM   #9
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:
are you sure? do mails sent in by teachers to your mcmaster email also reach your hotmail inbox?
Yeah! Everything ever sent to my MacId email goes to my hotmail! Even though the sent section shows my MacId as the recepient!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-21-2009 at 06:16 PM   #10
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
If you set up Outlook, then it would obviously be faster than opening a browser and pointing to a new page... the fact that you're comparing using Outlook to using a web browser and saying "I've never used outlook" doesn't really make much sense.

I'm just making the point that a lot of people have Outlook because they have Office, and they don't use it... it can be intimidating for new users at first, but you can get help on the web or from more experienced users like myself. Outlook is an extremely useful program if you learn how to use it.
but it downloads every email....which is slow! I know how it works

Old 09-21-2009 at 06:19 PM   #11
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times
This is great! Although I was getting all my McMaster emails forwarded to my hotmail account, I couldn’t figure out how to send a McMaster email from my hotmail account. This was really helpful

I just have a question - what is the Preserve To/Cc Field for?

Old 09-21-2009 at 07:25 PM   #12
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
but it downloads every email....which is slow! I know how it works
Lol whatever you say... I've been using it for years, and the only thing faster is my Blackberry.

Article Tools