MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Completely Screwed Me Over feonateresa Financial Aid 22 11-14-2009 05:47 PM
Stop forwarding mcmaster email to gmail khaotic General Discussion 1 10-22-2009 10:20 PM
How to Integrate Your Mac Email into Gmail/Live/Yahoo Afzal Technology 11 09-21-2009 07:25 PM
Your student I.D. card must be surrendered when you completely withdraw from......... Arnold General Discussion 18 06-10-2009 01:50 PM

Completely integrate your Mac Email into Gmail/Live/Yahoo

Old 08-28-2009 at 09:55 PM   #1
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Completely integrate your Mac Email into Gmail/Live/Yahoo
First, we setup the mail-forwarding, as it is easier:
  • Open your Mac Inbox
  • Goto Rules
  • Check Redirect All Mail to: and enter the email address you wish to use in the box below.
  • Check Keep a copy and Preserve To/Cc Fields, if you want to
  • Click update.

Now all e-mail arriving at your Mac email address with be forwarded to your desired inbox, except the Facebook Network verification email...for some reason, it doesn't arrive
For Gmail:
  • Open your Gmail Inbox
  • Go to Settings > Accounts and Import
  • Click the Send email as button
  • Type your McMaster email
  • Gmail will detect the SMTP server settings automatically, enter your Mac password in the form.
  • Check your Mac email Inbox for the verification link/code, or check this same inbox for the forwarded mail (which should arrive due to the forward rule)
  • Enter the code or follow the link
  • To send email with your Mac email ID, click the dropdown menu in the From: field when composing an email/reply

For Windows Live Mail:
  • Open up your WLM Inbox
  • Click Options > More Options in the top right corner
  • Manage your account > Send and receive email from other e-mail accounts
  • Add an e-mail account
  • Type your Mac email address and password
  • Click advanced options, input > Incoming mail Server: muss.cis.mcmaster.ca
  • Check your Mac email Inbox for the verification link/code, or check this same inbox for the forwarded mail (which should arrive due to the forward rule)
  • To send email with your Mac email ID, click the dropdown menu in the From: field when composing an email/reply

For Yahoo:
  • Open your Yahoo! inbox
  • Goto Options > Mail Options in the top right corner
  • For the New Yahoo! version, click Accounts in the left pane. For the dod one, click Mail Addresses in the right pane (you have to be in the Mail section)
  • Click Add > Enter Account name > Enter Name and your Mac Email ID
  • Enter the following details:
    Mail Server: muss.cis.mcmaster.ca
    username: <Your Mac ID>
    password: <Your Mac Password>
    Click Setup Mail server
  • Send Verification
  • Enter the Code or follow the link

Now you can ditch that MUSS Server, but be sure to check it atleast once a month for any mail that is not forwarded.
You can also make a different rule for the forwarding so that the mail is marked as read when it is forwarded.

For this, add a rule, edit it, from the drop-down menu, select Mirror To:
Enter your email address in the text box in the front. Click Update
Back in the Rules page, empty the text box below Redirect All mails to: otherwise you will receive 2 forwarded mails for every email.
Select Mark in the newly appeared drop-down and type read as parameter.

Last edited by Afzal : 08-29-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Anaam, EasternHeat, hamnahx02, Joseph, Juicebox, kenvin100, mike_302, TTHX all say thanks to Afzal for this post.
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:58 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Nice! You should submit it as an article:

http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67
Old 08-28-2009 at 11:55 PM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

hey, just one quick note though: One Windows Live Mail, you will get an error. Follow the instructions that you provide, but when you put your info in to Live, and hit submit or whatever it is, it will tell oyu that somethign about the Server is incorrect, adn it will bring more options out for you to fill in. One of them will say pop3.muss.cis.mcmaste r.ca or something very similar to that... you need to remove the pop3. part of that line and then follow through with the rest of the steps. I just did this myself. It worked great! Thanks for the article though, since I was just about to post this as a question.

Afzal, TTHX all say thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 08-29-2009 at 12:45 AM   #4
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

Thanks Afzal.

Old 08-29-2009 at 02:48 AM   #5
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Thanks, this will be very useful. Less of a hassle, just get everything in one inbox.

Old 08-29-2009 at 04:09 AM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Sounds great! I would definitely listen to jhan and submit it as an article, it would be really useful and convenient to a lot of people!
Old 08-29-2009 at 10:45 AM   #7
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times

I keep getting this problem when I try to:Check your Mac email Inbox for the verification link/code, or check this same inbox for the forwarded mail (which should arrive due to the forward rule)

There's a problem connecting to the POP mail server. Make sure that the server name and port you entered are correct. The best way to do this is to check with your other e-mail provider. You're looking for the "incoming mail server", which is probably listed under something like "POP access settings".

Can anyone help me out?
Old 08-29-2009 at 10:47 AM   #8
mike_302
Elite Member

check my last post.. I'm assuming you are using Live
Old 08-29-2009 at 10:50 AM   #9
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times

Thanks a lot Mike, works now
Old 08-29-2009 at 10:51 AM   #10
mike_302
Elite Member

lol, no problem.
Old 08-29-2009 at 11:43 AM   #11
Afzal
Android Dev

hmm, I didn't check my Mac email through Live Mail..i just merged Yahoo! to find out the exact number of steps.
I'll make the change here then update the post...and also submit the article

edit: updated Windows Live Mail instructions

Last edited by Afzal : 08-29-2009 at 11:50 AM.

mike_302 likes this.
Old 08-29-2009 at 01:28 PM   #12
hamnahx02

Liked: 16 Times

great post... thanks =)
Old 08-29-2009 at 02:36 PM   #13
dilollbm

Liked: 2 Times

I keep on getting "Couldn't reach server. Please double-check the server and port number." error coming up on gmail when Gmail detects the SMTP server settings automatically, and were you enter your Mac password in the form.
Does anyone know how to fix it?
Old 08-29-2009 at 11:05 PM   #14
Afzal
Android Dev

I don't know why you're getting this message, I didn't.

After you enter your username and password, Gmail asks your whether you want to use the Gmail server or muss.cis.mcmaster.ca

click, Send through muss.cis.mcmaster.ca SMTP servers and you will see the options below

Server: muss.cis.mcmaster.ca (Port: 465 or 587) both work fine
Username: Your Mac ID
Password: Your Mac Password
Old 08-30-2009 at 11:40 AM   #15
dilollbm

Liked: 2 Times

its fixed! the problem was i had "smtp." in front of "muss.cis.mcmaster.ca " in the server box.
Thanks alot!

Afzal likes this.