MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am Screwed Commander First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 09-15-2010 08:32 AM
I screwed myself over. JAYJAY Academics 13 08-09-2010 12:11 PM
Am I screwed? killza General Discussion 8 01-09-2010 01:51 PM
Wow, completely screwed for my Comm 2QA3 midterm lawleypop General Discussion 35 10-12-2009 03:51 PM
Your student I.D. card must be surrendered when you completely withdraw from......... Arnold General Discussion 18 06-10-2009 01:50 PM

McMaster Completely Screwed Me Over

Old 11-10-2009 at 03:52 PM   #1
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

McMaster Completely Screwed Me Over
So, in the beginning of the year, OSAP was giving me trouble and I wasn't able to get it in time for the deadline (for when we have to pay tuition). I decided to get a deferment of fees, so that while waiting for OSAP to come in, I could go to class and go about everything normally.

In order for this to happen, I had to write a check for the amount of tuition I was deferring; which was over 3500 dollars. They said they wouldn't cash it, and once I got my OSAP, I'd get it back.

UNFORTUNATELY they STILL cashed it on October 31st, basically leaving my account empty - making my rent check bounce, and now I only have enough money for a couple runs to the grocery store. It's like what the hell. I got OSAP way back in the third week of September, and you want to tell me that McMaster didn't know this?

So basically, McMaster now has over 7000 dollars from me for this term, which is waaay more than my tuition for the entire year. Now I have to wait several days to get my money back, while my apartment hangs in the balance.

Sigh... so for anyone who reads this, make sure you don't get screwed over like I did.
Old 11-10-2009 at 06:19 PM   #2
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Oh, I definitely got screwed over by Mac. It is also an OSAP related story...I feel your pain! I can't even pay for rent right now or buy food because of what happened so I have to borrow money from the bank.
Old 11-10-2009 at 07:27 PM   #3
maverick1990

Liked: 13 Times

Who needs a girlfriend, mac screws me everyday.

BlakeM, JEFF_CHAN, shockalot like this.
Old 11-10-2009 at 07:48 PM   #4
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

It is a good lesson to learn; Dont let Mac have access to anything.

One of my friends who went here before me thought letting Mac take money directly out of his bank account would be a great idea. This was until they drained all of it and overdrafted it to the limit. He still owed Mac money and now had the bank on his back. His was an unusual situation, but he was still on the receiving end of the school's donkey show.

My suggestion: Open up a separate account to pay mac with. Most banks have free student accounts. Transfer money from your account to the Mac-paying account then pay mac. I dont trust the school at all so I am super cautious because I kinda like being able to eat and live indoors.

If you are starving or anything no doubt someone here would make you dinner.

sinthusized says thanks to Rossclot for this post.
Old 11-10-2009 at 07:51 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

If you are in need of food and don't have money Mac Breadbin has solutions for students!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-10-2009 at 07:59 PM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Oh, shit. Sorry girl. -hugs-

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-10-2009 at 08:02 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Thanks... it could be worse. I'm not evicted [yet] and I'm not starving [yet]. >.> But it'll be okay, Mac can't legally take my money from me like that. At least I hope not.
Old 11-10-2009 at 09:43 PM   #8
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

shouldn't you have written a date later than oct31st on the check or something?!

sue them!!!
Old 11-10-2009 at 11:55 PM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Don't get me started. ):

Financially, Mac's been a nightmare...and I don't mean because of being poor or anything like that, but essentially I overpaid my tuition in the amount of 1000 (non-taxable) each year (or at least that's what it is as far as I'm concerned).

I was awarded a bursary every year, and never saw any of it because Mac declared it as a scholarship (in addition to saying I won an 'entrance scholarship' every year somehow!) ultimately resulting in a very sharp decrease in my OSAP entitlement.

Ugh...ticks me off when I hear stories like this. Like what, do they have monkeys working the finances?
Old 11-10-2009 at 11:57 PM   #10
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

The sooner people realize that McMaster University is run like a "Buisness" despite being a public university the clearer things will become!

The Financial office works in the best interest of the university and not neccesarily the student; they have added incentive to do that with the rising enrollment rates! They simply can't afford to "support" the average student and offer them tip top customer service beyond a certain level.

However it is very sad to hear your story; I'm not sure though if the agreement between yourselves and the Office was verbal or a written contract of some sort which listed a tentative date after which they are free to cash your cheque :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

myInteger likes this.
Old 11-11-2009 at 12:10 AM   #11
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
The Financial office works in the best interest of the university and not neccesarily the student; they have added incentive to do that with the rising enrollment rates!
Right, because Feona decided to cram all the students in like sardines? :p The enrollment rates are Mac's own creation...they're doing it to bring in more money...and that's without charging double tuition to students like Feona here.

I don't think you can defend what's actually going down here Huzaifa: Mac cashed a cheque, despite Feona's contractual agreement (hence giving the cheque in the first place) that she would pay by the end of October. She did, and then Mac took double payment for her tuition.

So if I gave Mac a post-dated cheque, then a week later, came back and said "Nah, I'm gonna pay in full," (and did), Mac still has the right to cash that cheque?
Old 11-11-2009 at 12:14 AM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
The sooner people realize that McMaster University is run like a "Buisness" despite being a public university the clearer things will become!

The Financial office works in the best interest of the university and not neccesarily the student; they have added incentive to do that with the rising enrollment rates! They simply can't afford to "support" the average student and offer them tip top customer service beyond a certain level.

However it is very sad to hear your story; I'm not sure though if the agreement between yourselves and the Office was verbal or a written contract of some sort which listed a tentative date after which they are free to cash your cheque :S
I've always said that universities are a business. It's probable that most of their income comes from completed research. The more that their professors discover, the more money they make. So pretty much they take our money to invest into research which gets them more research money. That's my opinion anyways. They are mostly about research and recognition than students.
Old 11-11-2009 at 12:15 AM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Right, because Feona decided to cram all the students in like sardines? :p The enrollment rates are Mac's own creation...they're doing it to bring in more money...and that's without charging double tuition to students like Feona here.

I don't think you can defend what's actually going down here Huzaifa: Mac cashed a cheque, despite Feona's contractual agreement (hence giving the cheque in the first place) that she would pay by the end of October. She did, and then Mac took double payment for her tuition.

So if I gave Mac a post-dated cheque, then a week later, came back and said "Nah, I'm gonna pay in full," (and did), Mac still has the right to cash that cheque?
You could void the cheque in that case, although Feona's case is different.
Old 11-11-2009 at 12:33 AM   #14
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post

Umm lol where did I say that I am even remotely defending the university?

The point I was trying to make was that because of the way the whole thing is being run and the number of people they are just piling in Feona has now become no more then a statistic unfortunately. Stuff like this wouldn't happen if we were a much smaller student centered universities like a "public" university ought to be!

But then again it could just be carelessness/negligence by a random financial aid staff.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 11-11-2009 at 12:34 AM   #15
Mowicz
Elite Member

But it's not that different...her OSAP papers are supposed to void anything outstanding like cheques, etc. so long as her remit (to McMaster) amount exceeds whatever it should've been ($3500 seems like). Mac's supposed to contractually return (I believe) her cheque.