MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MAC student ID card sangyeub First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-31-2010 01:03 PM
McMaster Student Card = GO Transit Student ID (2009) goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 10 09-01-2009 01:55 PM
No ID Student Card? Stacieee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 09-01-2009 12:22 AM
Student Card smiles General Discussion 7 08-17-2009 06:37 PM

Your student I.D. card must be surrendered when you completely withdraw from.........

Old 10-20-2008 at 09:30 PM   #1
Arnold

Liked: 0 Times

Your student I.D. card must be surrendered when you completely withdraw from.........
Your student I.D. card must be surrendered when you completely withdraw from a session.

What is a session?
Old 10-20-2008 at 09:35 PM   #2
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

I think it meets when you leave mac it must be given back. So if you withdraw from the university, you have to give the student card back.
Old 06-09-2009 at 09:59 PM   #3
Hallandale

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I think it meets when you leave mac it must be given back. So if you withdraw from the university, you have to give the student card back.

Are there gravedigging rules at MacInsiders? Oh well. Old thread. I'm giving an answer.

If you fully drop out of McMaster, you do have to give your student card back. If you have no plans to ever return to Mac, this is the case.

However, if you take a year off, you get to keep your student card. Or at least I did.

I started in first year Engineering in September of 2008, I had to "drop out" for the year, and I'm coming back in September of 2009. I've carried my student card in my wallet the whole year.
Old 06-09-2009 at 10:05 PM   #4
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

I guess it's worth asking; Would they really try to hunt you down if you refused to give it to them?
Old 06-09-2009 at 10:09 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I can't possibly see them caring about the card... What is the most you can do? take the HSR for free? Do you even get your supplementary fees back when you drop out?
Old 06-09-2009 at 10:22 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You can't take the HSR for free though. The drivers know which stickers are valid and which are not...so if you're using a sticker from the previous year they will yell at you and force you off the bus.

I've seen it happen.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-09-2009 at 10:35 PM   #7
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

My mom did a degree part time at Mac about 10 years ago, and she still has her student card...
Old 06-09-2009 at 10:44 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
You can't take the HSR for free though. The drivers know which stickers are valid and which are not...so if you're using a sticker from the previous year they will yell at you and force you off the bus.

I've seen it happen.
But I mean the year you drop out... like if you drop out of school in the middle of a term.
Old 06-09-2009 at 11:08 PM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

If you drop out in the middle of a term (ie. 'completely withdraw from a session'), you've paid for your bus pass and should be entitled to use it (if McMaster or the HSR claims otherwise, then they're being crooks). On the other hand, Mac may insist on reclaiming your student card so you do not charge purchases to your bookstore account. Mac has no way of 'getting you back' for purchases if they have no leverage!

Here is the scenario: I just started Engineering I...I'm overwhelmed, so I decide to quit, change professions and become, I dunno, an auto-mechanic. I will never return to Mac again...so what do I do? I go and charge $1500 worth of McMaster merchandise to my student account, and split. Mac can't threaten to expel you, or withhold your grades / diploma. (They can most likely take legal action however...but that's costly to them)

I know someone who was unable to continue at Mac after their first year...they were allowed to keep their card.

I also know of people who successfully completed their degrees and kept their cards.

If you leave mid-semester then this is a problem, for the reason mentioned above. If you want to keep your card, you can always claim you lost it, pay a $30 fine to 'replace' it, and have it deactivated so Mac can rest easy knowing you cannot make bookstore purchases.

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-09-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2009 at 11:13 PM   #10
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post

I've seen it happen.
Oh man, there was this really mean old hag, excuse my language, of a bus driver on the 51 a few months ago. Man, she kicked people off the bus, held up the bus if anything seemed suspicious and it was annoying because it was always a ton of people waiting - and it was winter. Ugh.
Old 06-09-2009 at 11:23 PM   #11
Mowicz
Elite Member

I know that lady! I dunno if she was specifically always on the 51...perhaps it was the time of day you went to Mac. I think I saw her on the King 1A.

She made you move the student card right to her face, because she didn't want to turn her head to look for herself.
Old 06-10-2009 at 02:59 AM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I go and charge $1500 worth of McMaster merchandise to my student account, and split. Mac can't threaten to expel you, or withhold your grades / diploma. (They can most likely take legal action however...but that's costly to them)
Never thought about that... I'm sure they can do something to get back the money... repo?
Old 06-10-2009 at 03:51 AM   #13
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
I know that lady! I dunno if she was specifically always on the 51...perhaps it was the time of day you went to Mac. I think I saw her on the King 1A.

She made you move the student card right to her face, because she didn't want to turn her head to look for herself.
lol this is rather wierd, most of the bus drivers let us kids of easily. Like I've always sorted of traveled on expired transfer tickets. I just sort of hold them half hidden in my palm when going up to the driver and he hardly even glances it. Only once did a driver take a close look at it and thankfully I was on the last 15 minutes!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-10-2009 at 06:17 AM   #14
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Never thought about that... I'm sure they can do something to get back the money... repo?
There probably is...but it's certainly more hassling than demanding you return your card. It's more meant as a precaution.
Old 06-10-2009 at 07:30 AM   #15
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:

LOL! Oh gosh. I'm so glad I haven't seen her in several months now.

And Huzaifa, yeah, most drivers really don't care, that's why that one was a pain in the ass. Just beware... haha.

Hmm, I don't see why you can't keep your card though, I mean, the sticker for the facilities including HSR change every year, and I'm guessing they make your barcode invalid too if you're not a student anymore. Who knows, maybe that's too difficult or something.