MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-23-2010 03:47 PM
Arts and Science vs. Health Science? ktc11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-18-2010 08:40 AM
Urgent: Science And Social Science Macpasses Sold Out! casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 29 09-06-2009 09:04 AM
Switching from Social Science to Enviromental Science shirvan Academics 5 10-23-2008 09:58 PM

Integrated Science

Old 05-11-2011 at 05:11 PM   #1
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Integrated Science
Is anyone in it? What is the program like? Just asking out of curiosity, I never knew about it until I was just browsing McMaster website today. lol
Old 05-11-2011 at 06:33 PM   #2
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

It's project-based learning. You have specific topics, four each year, which I think are constant from year to year (ex. cancer, mission to Mars) and you use info from math, physics, bio, chem, and earth science to approach possible solutions to the problem. Something like that. You learn how to apply all of the sciences together, rather than just learning each one only theoretically and separately. That's the impression I got from the May @ Mac presentation, anyway. I got into it, but decided on physics a few days ago instead. Even though it's only a couple years old, it seems like a great program, but it just didn't really seem to fit what I was looking for, personally. I think it's a fantastic idea, though. I also heard it's more weighted towards the bio portion, which isn't really my thing either.
Old 05-11-2011 at 06:42 PM   #3
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

/12characters

It takes a while to get into it (about two minutes), but it's about Integrated Science.
Old 05-11-2011 at 08:31 PM   #4
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

From what I heard from my first year room mate (who was in isci)....its difficult in the sense that there is a lot of work (7 or so exams a term)....but there are many pros to the program: small faculty so you get bond with your profs, you can specialize in anything you want, and if you do well in the isci course (the 24 unit one) you gpa will be really high
Old 05-12-2011 at 11:26 PM   #5
HanSungJun

Liked: 0 Times

Hey,

The program is mainly designed to enable students to approach problem in creative ways. It involves significant amount of group work, and problem solving. It also emphasize on research, as it is a research oriented program. Starting from year one, you start to get exposed to research environment.

Cheers
Old 05-12-2011 at 11:37 PM   #6
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Hardest and most time consuming program in the science faculty, no doubt.

Mohit likes this.
Old 05-13-2011 at 12:27 AM   #7
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

As an engineering, after taking to iScis ( I'm always in thode, their second home too), they are the noly program I have great respect for. While their physics and math may not be as tough as ours, they have lots of hours and a tough schedule. The hardest part about it is the difficulty to switch out at certain times.