MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volunteering Opportunities With Agencies in Hamilton cva1 Clubs & Groups 0 10-13-2010 11:22 AM
Interested in Volunteering in Africa?! mlangille Volunteering Opportunities 5 10-11-2010 10:50 PM
Interested in Summer Volunteering SSCLeadership Clubs & Groups 0 06-26-2009 01:37 PM

Interested in volunteering for the Hamilton Community? Volunteer with CVA!!

Old 09-09-2013 at 03:50 PM   #1
wasim azher

Liked: 4 Times

Interested in volunteering for the Hamilton Community? Volunteer with CVA!!
Interested in volunteering?
How about getting to know the Hamilton community?
Explore Hamilton and discover a new you through
Community Volunteer Action (CVA)!

CVA is a network of weekly groups where you volunteer with other McMaster students at placements across Hamilton. Opportunities to help at-risk children, immigrant populations, those who are homeless, adults living with disabilities and seniors await you!

Your group facilitator helps you find your way to the placement and facilitates a discussion for 15-20 minutes after each volunteer session to help you reflect on your experiences and how these relate to larger societal issues.

This year we have 24 weekly volunteer groups that are in need of volunteers, so come sign up, help out, and receive all the rewards volunteering has to offer.

CVA’s Volunteer Fairs
Thursday September 12 & Wednesday September 18
5:30pm – 7:00pm
MUSC 311
Please bring with you:
Your schedule

Your completed registration form (available at www.OpenCircle.mcmast er.ca/volunteer)

Your completed contract (available at www.OpenCircle.mcmast er.ca/volunteer)

You can browse all the weekly volunteer group openings at available at www.OpenCircle.mcmast er.ca/volunteer.
Please don’t forget to let your friends know about this opportunity!

Hello everybody, my name is Wasim, and I will be the group facilitator for the Friday's Eva-Rothwell Afterschool program. This is an excellent opportunity to work with kids, meet new people, and gain valuable experience. The volunteer positions get filled quickly, so If you are interested, come on down to the volunteer fair for more information on how you can contribute to the hamilton community (the timings and the location are mentioned above). Thanks!!!

Community Volunteer Action (CVA) is sponsored by MSU Open Circle, OPIRG, and SPICES Graduate Initiative. We are a network of volunteering groups where you volunteer weekly with other McMaster students at placements across Hamilton. Your group facilitator helps you find your way to the placement and facilitates discussion for 15 min. after each volunteer session to help you reflect on your experiences and how these relate to larger societal issues. For more info: www.OpenCircle.mcmast er.ca/volunteer or www.OPIRG.ca.

alyssarr, KayS, kirsten..! like this.
Old 09-09-2013 at 04:21 PM   #2
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

I'm interested in obtaining reference letter for my service in order to pad my resume. How many hours do I need to complete in order to get one?
Old 09-09-2013 at 10:02 PM   #3
wasim azher

Liked: 4 Times

Hi. You can certainly get a reference letter. However, you will have to stay committed to volunteering every week at least until the end of the term. CVA connects us with schools and organizations that are looking for volunteers for the whole year, or at least for the term. It is very important that we, as volunteers, respect their guidelines since they heavily rely on us.

Hopefully you understand. So if you are still interested, please come to our volunteer fair. Thanks, and I hope this answers your question.

KayS says thanks to wasim azher for this post.