MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3rd Year Life Sci Kids.... what are you taking? tylerearl Academics 10 08-11-2011 10:35 AM
Interesting article about OSAP in The Spec Kathy2 Financial Aid 62 03-15-2010 02:22 AM
Volunteer with Kids nuttynatz Clubs & Groups 1 10-11-2009 08:45 PM
Love Working with Kids & Looking to Volunteer? Lois Clubs & Groups 0 01-04-2009 08:36 PM
TRICK OR TREAT for SICK KIDS Chad General Discussion 1 10-21-2008 07:59 PM

Interesting article: Foster care for obese kids?

Old 08-16-2011 at 10:40 PM   #1
hamnahx02

Liked: 16 Times

Interesting article: Foster care for obese kids?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/...n-custody.html

came across this article in another forum, found it really interesting... thought i'd share! enjoy the read, feel free to post your opinions, it would be cool to see what ppl our age would have to say about this issue.
Old 08-16-2011 at 10:43 PM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamnahx02 View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/...n-custody.html

came across this article in another forum, found it really interesting... thought i'd share! enjoy the read, feel free to post your opinions, it would be cool to see what ppl our age would have to say about this issue.
YESS PARENTS OF OBESE CHILDREN SHOULD LOSE CUSTODY, this is coming from a person who was a fat child !

EDIT: now I think about it sometimes the kid would be fat for reasons other than overeating and lack of activity, I personally was not fat because of lack of exercise and increased consumption of food. It is a hormonal issue. So yeah ..... well parents of children who are obese due to lack of control of food and exercise should lose custody other than that I guess not.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Last edited by L'Étoile : 08-16-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2011 at 10:48 PM   #3
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times

no not at all. ppl shouldn't lose their kids just because they are overweight. as long as the kids are given affection and not neglected/abused there should be no need for the kids to be taken away.
Old 08-16-2011 at 10:57 PM   #4
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Why is it that outsiders feel the need to interfere in personal matters. Weight is a complex issue, there is rarely a single determinant for it. I used to be fat, sure my mom would make food that was unhealthy however I made the conscious decision to continue eating until I realized on my own that continuing was going to negatively effect my health and subsequently result in an early death. Let children make their own decisions. Also the same argument could be made about alcoholics or those who smoke around their children.

dsalvatore likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 11:01 PM   #5
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

In an ideal world, maybe, but definitely not in our current reality. My parents bought me fast food all the time and I was a bit chubby in my early teens (I understand "a bit chubby" and 400 pounds overweight are two very different things) but I had a friend who lived in foster care and it was absolutely ****. I'd much rather be in a caring environment where overeating is a problem, than be shoved into a house with half a dozen other kids with parents that don't care about you as long as they get their monthly check.

On top of that, our Foster care system is already wildly overburdened, adding more stress to it would be a major problem. I'd ideally prefer something like this be dealt with without direct government intervention.

L'Étoile says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 08-16-2011 at 11:02 PM   #6
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Interesting article, but where do you draw the line? Is a 200 pound, 5'5 15 year old to be removed? What about children with medical conditions that make them naturally obese (drug side effects?)?

When are kids old enough to be responsible for their own weight (this is a very different situation from being neglected to the point of being underweight)? Where does overweight/obese/whatever become "life-threatening/cause for removal" as opposed to "unhealthy/a bad idea but not generally a cause to take your kids from you, like smoking in the house?"

Is removing these kids really good at all (ignoring all the issues associated with being removed form your family, etc)? Is it just like any other diet, where the kid goes back to their old weight when they return home (if they do)? How well do they keep up the habits as they get older, can make their own choices?

I get the impression that the "taking obese kids from parents" simplifies the issues into a dietary and parental problem, even if that's not the intention. Worse, it at least substitutes one problem (obese) for others (being in foster care, separated from family, etc)

/tl;dr ambiguous rambling whatevs

Last edited by britb : 08-16-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2011 at 11:04 PM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

no, what there needs to be is a ****ing IQ test before you're allowed to procreate.

and maybe some parenting classes.

"Obese children are victims of advertising, marketing, peer pressure and bullying — things a parent can't control, he said."
I'm actually laughing SO hard right now. So let's take them away from the only entities who'll ever love it unconditionally and hand them off to people that love fosters solely because they're a source of revenue. Total sense guis!

I knew we'd forget quickly drop that gay bullying campaign crap and move right on to the next hot issue.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 08-16-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Eternal Fire, Rika88 like this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 11:09 PM   #8
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

I Commie8507 would like to formally welcome you Lawleypop back to Macinsiders.

L'Étoile, lawleypop like this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 11:14 PM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
I Commie8507 would like to formally welcome you Lawleypop back to Macinsiders.
You missed it by like 17 days. D:<

Old 08-16-2011 at 11:26 PM   #10
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

lawleypop we alll love u, personally my heart skips a beat everytime i see the purple coloring of ur nickname while scrolling down

lawleypop likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 11:27 PM   #11
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
In an ideal world, maybe, but definitely not in our current reality. My parents bought me fast food all the time and I was a bit chubby in my early teens (I understand "a bit chubby" and 400 pounds overweight are two very different things) but I had a friend who lived in foster care and it was absolutely ****. I'd much rather be in a caring environment where overeating is a problem, than be shoved into a house with half a dozen other kids with parents that don't care about you as long as they get their monthly check.

On top of that, our Foster care system is already wildly overburdened, adding more stress to it would be a major problem. I'd ideally prefer something like this be dealt with without direct government intervention.
Great points

Old 08-16-2011 at 11:31 PM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
lawleypop we alll love u, personally my heart skips a beat everytime i see the purple coloring of ur nickname while scrolling down
I should change the color of my name.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 08-17-2011 at 01:31 PM   #13
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
I should change the color of my name.
I JUST found the reward centre now that you reminded me I needed to... lololololol

I had like 60,000 points stilling in there.

Last edited by britb : 08-17-2011 at 01:35 PM.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 08-17-2011 at 02:25 PM   #14
Smithd37

Liked: 4 Times

I would not surprise me in the least to see that there is a very strong positive correlation between low SES and obesity. Walk in to a Walmart or any other store for that matter and what do you see? We see the majority of food that is on sale is processed and unhealthy. I'd be hard pressed to tell you a time I saw a large array of fruits or vegetables on sale. Walk down the aisle at Walmart and you'll find Gatorade, Tostitos, Gummy Worms and anything else you can imagine packed with sugar or heavily processed on sale. How are families that are barely making ends meet suppose to purchase healthy food that costs more and rarely goes on sale? If these families are eating poorly of course the odds are against them to have healthy bodies. These companies are more to blame for perpetuating this obesity problem than are the parents.

L'Étoile likes this.