MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Becoming International Student Infinity General Discussion 2 11-19-2009 11:12 PM
courses selection for international student who gets high school education in China lbqjenny Academics 17 07-04-2009 10:40 AM
MacInsiders Needs Volunteers! lorend ARCHIVES 34 06-18-2009 02:59 PM
Co-op for international student? mikefung Academics 1 06-06-2008 10:51 PM

International Student Volunteers

Old 11-05-2009 at 03:29 PM   #16
AkeAke

Liked: 0 Times

Hi guys,

Like Nevis, I also went to New Zealand on May 14th- June 13th, and I also extended my trip (with International Student Volunteers, a.k.a. ISV) for another week in Fiji. ISV is an amazing program that helps students from all over North Ameria, Europe, the Oceanic continent to travel to places they have dreamt of traveling to and having the most unbelievable, life changing experience. 2 weeks of your trip is volunteering and making a difference in your host country, whether is be from tree planting, house/school construction, social community involvement, dolphin/sea turtle/other wild life conservation. In New Zealand, where Nevis and I volunteered, we worked on restoring the natural habitat for the wildlife there (mostly birds), but tree planting, releasing weeds and unwanted poisonous plants, track building in forest, and as well cockel surveying (cockels are like snails).

After you have completed your 2 weeks of volunteer work, its time to pack up your things, and backpack through your host country. Along the road you will do amazing things, like glacier climbing, white water rafting, scuba diving, sky diving, bungy jumping, swiming with elephants, and so much more (all depending on the host country of course). This trip not only allows you to cross off more things from your bucket list in 1 month than in your whole life, but also teaches you so much about your country and the difference you are making as an internation volunteer. I highly reccommend anyone on this trip, and I would go again (and possibly am) in a heartbeat. I know it is expensive, but like Nevis said... it is WAY cheaper than if you were to do it all on your own. Everything is preorganized by ISV and is at a higher safety level than other programs or own your own. There are alternative trips than the 4 week program, like the 2 week volunteer program alone, and there are many ways of fundraising money for your trip.

For more information visit the website at: www.isvonline.org. Also feel free to join the facebook group (ISV:McMaster) to ask any questions you have.

-AkeAke
Old 11-05-2009 at 03:54 PM   #17
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevis View Post
You may have seen myself or my friend at the front of the class with those 2 guys doing the presentations. If you have any questions or comments or want to find out more, do not hesitate to let me know!
*facepalm*
http://www.fallen-legion.eu/news/dat...leFacePalm.jpg

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 11-05-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2009 at 07:49 PM   #18
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Hi everyone...

So I actually went on a trip with ISV for 4 weeks from May 14th 2009 to June 13th 2009. And basically i am about to tell you first hand that they are an amazing organization. They are not-for-profit, the trip is not cheap but I can tell you it is definitely cheaper than if you were to go on your own AND its worth every single penny.

Someone mentioned its something where ppl just go to get drunk like on vacation in Florida or Mexico... you will be sent home from New Zealand (or where ever your host country is) if you are caught drinking while on the volunteer project. You can drink, just not while working on the volunteer project.

Also, they supply copious amounts of support throughout the application, preparation and throughout the trip. At no point are you left to figure something out on your own or left without help. You have multiple guides and project leaders with you and you make amazing friends. I have friends from NY, Florida, Texas, New Brunswick, Alaska, Manitoba, Wisconsin, Michigan, all over Ontario. And we have had 3 reunion get togethers so far because we cannot stand too long of a period without seeing each other. Even though it was only 4 weeks, we did stuff in those 4 weeks that most people do not do in a lifetime and as a result became really close friends.

In the second 2 weeks alone we did: jetboating, skydiving, zorbing, sea kyaking, bungy jumping, cave exploring (black water rafting), white water rafting, glacier hiking, horseback riding, and so much more!

I have to get back to studying now, but i just want to say that it is an amazing experience. You may have seen myself or my friend at the front of the class with those 2 guys doing the presentations. If you have any questions or comments or want to find out more, do not hesitate to let me know!
I actually mentioned the Nevis jump specifically because you told me about it, lol.
Old 11-05-2009 at 08:26 PM   #19
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
You can drink, just not while working on the volunteer project.
Bingo!

p.s: Does being hungover count?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 11-05-2009 at 08:56 PM   #20
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissformula View Post
Has anyone volunteered or is planning to volunteer overseas through this program? I'm considering going but the cost is pretty expensive and there's barely any reviews online.

Here's the website: http://www.isvonline.com/
I wanted to go last year but I couldn't afford it :(
Does anyone know if there are any other, cheaper programs like this?
Old 11-05-2009 at 09:08 PM   #21
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
I wanted to go last year but I couldn't afford it :(
Does anyone know if there are any other, cheaper programs like this?
I think Global Youth Network Trips are ~$3500 (including airfare, food, everything), but there are lots of opportunities to fundraise. I think it might be cheaper for South American countries.