MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
International Students:Do's and Don'ts kanishka First Year Success 73 07-06-2009 11:56 PM
Are there any scholarships for international students? mikefung Academics 2 04-28-2009 08:28 PM
orientation for international students rohit20890 General Discussion 4 07-25-2008 10:52 PM
on campus work for international students oarxl.89 Volunteering Opportunities 1 08-01-2007 12:54 PM

International students move-out...where?

Old 08-23-2009 at 08:19 PM   #1
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

International students move-out...where?
Residence closes down in December and April after mid-terms and finals, so where are the international students supposed to live during the break, going back home twice a year isn't really feasible now ($1000+ per flight!), is it?
What are the options?
Any way to stay in the residence (extended contract or something)?
I have emailed Residence Admissions Coordinator just now, but I am hoping for an international student to share his/her experience.

Thank you
Old 08-23-2009 at 08:36 PM   #2
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Don't international students get to stay there? I'm pretty sure that I read that on the residence site somewhere
Old 08-23-2009 at 09:01 PM   #3
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Umm I don't think any of the residences are open during the winter break(one of my friends lived with their relatives, the other went home); I do recall seeing stuff from either the SOCS or OCE asking people to sublet their rooms for 15 days to international students. Your best bet is to call the international students office! They are there for exactly this reason.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Afzal says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 08-23-2009 at 10:09 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Yep, I know for sure that residences are closed for the holidays, so I'm guessing the only way to go is with making arrangements for the international students with off-campus students

Afzal says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-23-2009 at 10:27 PM   #5
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Umm I don't think any of the residences are open during the winter break(one of my friends lived with their relatives, the other went home); I do recall seeing stuff from either the SOCS or OCE asking people to sublet their rooms for 15 days to international students. Your best bet is to call the international students office! They are there for exactly this reason.
I'll talk with them during the International Student welcome orientation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
during the christmas break International students have to find off-campus housing, the school will help you locate somewhere to stay or you can stay with friends that you might make during the school year; bottom-line: no students on campus during the christmas break.
Can I ask one more question? (not relating to the topic though) :o

I got 2As and a B in my A levels, that would most likely be an average of above 90% but we didn't get percentages on any certificates with year due to some internal changes in the exam board. When would I know if I am eligible for the Dean's scholarship?? It doesn't show up in MUGSI > Scholarships and Awards
http://www.mcmaster.ca/oia/intappl.htm#scholarsh ips

emailed International admissions about this, it hasn't been even a day though...can't afford to email more for now...they'll think I'm too impatient

Last edited by Afzal : 08-23-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2009 at 10:55 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Can I ask one more question? (not relating to the topic though) :o

I got 2As and a B in my A levels, that would most likely be an average of above 90% but we didn't get percentages on any certificates with year due to some internal changes in the exam board. When would I know if I am eligible for the Dean's scholarship?? It doesn't show up in MUGSI > Scholarships and Awards

emailed International admissions about this, it hasn't been even a day though...can't afford to email more for now...they'll think I'm too impatient
McMaster University Portal

Is your SIN in there? You need it in order to receive scholarship, bursaries, OSAP, etc...
Old 08-23-2009 at 11:10 PM   #7
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

I dont think international students get McMaster entrance scholarships.
Old 08-23-2009 at 11:13 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
I dont think international students get McMaster entrance scholarships.
Hmm, you're right. I just looked it up:

Quote:
International students studying outside Canada are not eligible for McMaster Entrance Awards.
Source: http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/entrance.html
Old 08-23-2009 at 11:15 PM   #9
huzaifa47

lol International student's aren't eligible for ANY Scholarships as far as I know! :(

Edit: Do pm me or post it up here if you get a reply back from International office! :S

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 08-23-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2009 at 11:22 PM   #10
Afzal
Android Dev

did you check this link?
Old 08-23-2009 at 11:26 PM   #11
syaseen
Elite Member

Thats a diff. scholarship for international students so Im guessing its gonna take longer to be added to your PA, but you should email financial aid to find out.
Old 08-23-2009 at 11:29 PM   #12
huzaifa47

Quote:

Yeah I did actually! But I was told by an upper year international that they apparently changed the policy; Candian Government policy. The same policy that ensures Internationals aren't eligible for workstudy either :S

I'll talk to the office tommorow probably. Or I'll find out if I get a scholarship by the end of this year I guess?

Afzal likes this.
Old 08-23-2009 at 11:34 PM   #13
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
Thats a diff. scholarship for international students so Im guessing its gonna take longer to be added to your PA, but you should email financial aid to find out.
lol, I've already emailed the ISS and Int'l Admissions about this and also emailed the Res Admissions about the winter break/end of year thing. I am feeling like I'm spamming them :o
Old 08-23-2009 at 11:55 PM   #14
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
lol, I've already emailed the ISS and Int'l Admissions about this and also emailed the Res Admissions about the winter break/end of year thing. I am feeling like I'm spamming them :o
You pay them for the right to spam them whenever you feel like it.
Old 08-24-2009 at 09:38 AM   #15
Afzal
Android Dev

here's the answer to the first question:
Quote:
Thank you for your message. You are correct that the residence buildings close for the Holiday season - the university is officially closed and all staff are off. As such, it is not safe for students to be in residence when there are no staff on campus or food services available. We recognize that international student aren't always able to go home for the holidays and last year, the Off-Campus Housing Office worked in conjunction with Residence Admission to promote a program called ' A Home for the Holidays'. It is advertised to off-campus students who are leaving for the holidays - they are encouraged to open up their accommodations for students seeking temporary lodgings over the holidays. This program was well received and will continue again this year.
Information about the 'A Home for the Holidays' program will be on the website and emailed to students in the fall.