MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell phone line Insider First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-01-2010 04:06 AM
Best Cell Phone Coverage! jwallace80 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 39 08-15-2010 11:22 PM
Cell Phone Bill niteskie General Discussion 15 09-09-2009 07:27 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill

Old 10-14-2009 at 10:01 PM   #1
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill
hey so my bill for all four services (home phone, cell phone, internet and tv) are outragous. So I was just curious as to what all of you are paying for these services, especially those of you who are with Rogers. Now I know that doesn't include alot of off-campus people here in hamilton, since rogers does not service this area, but regardless please feel free to share. I am just really curious as to whether I am getting screwed or if it is just like that.
Old 10-14-2009 at 10:06 PM   #2
MDCL

Liked: 29 Times

Some ideas:

You have a cell; consider dropping the home phone.

Use rabbit ears and the internet instead of cable tv.
Old 10-14-2009 at 10:07 PM   #3
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

my mom pays the bills so i dont know about the internet, home phone ect..but my cellphone is about 30/month
Old 10-14-2009 at 10:07 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I don't have a home phone line, or a TV (although I have Cable included with my utilities), and internet is also included.

I pay $35 dollars a month for a plan from Bell though, that gives 2000 anytime minutes, call display, unlimited texting and roaming. It does have the downside of no free weekends/evenings, and you use your minutes regardless of if you called or if they did. Internet use from my phone has an obscene rate.

Sorry if I couldn't be more helpful, but I know one user just did a marketing survey about cell phone plans, so she might be able to help you a bit in that regard.
Old 10-14-2009 at 10:16 PM   #5
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

I get free cable because the cable company has forgotten to bill us

Duarch likes this.
Old 10-14-2009 at 10:21 PM   #6
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

cell phone: $35 with tax
internet: $76 split 4 ways ($19)

dont nee TV, we just use internet to dl latest TV episodes/stream games online
Old 10-14-2009 at 11:00 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Cell 25$
Internet 41$ (split 6 ways)
Cable, not too sure since I'm not in charge of it and we haven't received our first bill yet, but it should be around 40$ (split 6 ways again).
Old 10-14-2009 at 11:01 PM   #8
**jewel 03**

ok great thanks guys, yeah I don't have home phone or a tv here in hamilton its at my house in mississauga, with my family. We have a bundle package from Rogers that includes all of that but I thought the price is a too pricey thats why. Also the people who mentioned their cell phone bill- what company are you with and how are your plans? Mine is 250 minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends starting at 6pm, unlimited text and caller-id for $51.80 including taxes.
Old 10-14-2009 at 11:08 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by **jewel 03** View Post
ok great thanks guys, yeah I don't have home phone or a tv here in hamilton its at my house in mississauga, with my family. We have a bundle package from Rogers that includes all of that but I thought the price is a too pricey thats why. Also the people who mentioned their cell phone bill- what company are you with and how are your plans? Mine is 250 minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends starting at 6pm, unlimited text and caller-id for $51.80 including taxes.
25$ + Tax

100 Minutes
Evenings and Weekends at 7pm
10 Favourites

Oh, I'm with Virgin Mobile.
Old 10-14-2009 at 11:22 PM   #10
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

$33.90 with tax

350 Minutes
100 Long distance
Unlimited E&W
Ultd. Text Msgs
Caller ID

Fido.
Old 10-15-2009 at 07:50 AM   #11
**jewel 03**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
25$ + Tax

100 Minutes
Evenings and Weekends at 7pm
10 Favourites

Oh, I'm with Virgin Mobile.
ok great, um what is the 10 favourites? Is it like your 10 numbers unlimited calling and messaging? Is it local or long distance? thanks
Old 10-15-2009 at 12:05 PM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
hey so my bill for all four services (home phone, cell phone, internet and tv) are outragous. So I was just curious as to what all of you are paying for these services, especially those of you who are with Rogers. Now I know that doesn't include alot of off-campus people here in hamilton, since rogers does not service this area, but regardless please feel free to share. I am just really curious as to whether I am getting screwed or if it is just like that.
Oh man I wish I could get Rogers here.

Prices are competitive, so it shouldn't be that different from say, being with Bell for all those services.

Cell phone - if you have an iphone or a data plan, you probably have a higher bill than most people. Mine's 85 a month.

Internet - should also be relatively the same as other companies. Although from what I understand, Rogers plan has a 60gig bandwidth limit. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If you go over that, prepare to be charged. (Can be anywhere from 1-2$ per gig)

Also, do you have a bundle package? Like, normally when you get all/most of the services, it's a little cheaper.

My internet and basic cable I think is a hundred dollars split 7 ways. Internet is 68-75 (cant remember) but that's because we upgraded to 126 gig bandwidth cap and the cable is like, 28 bucks. Don't get too many channels though.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 10-15-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-15-2009 at 02:00 PM   #13
MDCL

Liked: 29 Times

Cell with Bell

25$ + tax

200 Minutes ($0.35/min afterwards)
Evenings at 8pm and Weekends
20 free calls to one local bell cell
$0.35/min long distance

Last edited by MDCL : 10-15-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-15-2009 at 02:02 PM   #14
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

My family has Rogers for TV, internet and home phone as well as Wireless. I know my wireless is cheap with a student plan.

I've checked into competitors though and the biggest competitor Bell wasn't really better. It was more expensive and didn't really match up to what we have now.

I like Rogers wireless coverage and we're happy with the digital cable as opposed to bell who provides satellite.

The home phone I find the biggest waste but Bell didn't have better prices for that either. We would dump it and just keep our cell but to add the features we need with our home phone (long distance mostly to talk to relatives) it would be just as expensive as the two bills.

It's really easy to find the pricing information on competitors websites like Bell though if you want to compare your bills and what you get to what Bell has and charges. Just go to the website and do some checking.

Unfortunately their really aren't many alternatives for TV and internet instead of Bell or Rogers. There seems to be more choices for wireless but there isn't really, Bell owns Solo Mobile, Rogers owns Fido and Telus owns Koodoo. The options are limited.

The only way to reduce your bill is to drop services you think you can live without or downgrade, get rid of some features you may not need. With your cable if you want to keep it you could just go with a basic package instead of more channels etc. With internet w/ Rogers they have different price levels, if you're at a higher price level you can downgrade. I just noticed on the website they've changed it, you can now see what each price level is good for internet wise just by rolling over it. http://www.provenfastest.ca/
Old 10-15-2009 at 02:28 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
ok great, um what is the 10 favourites? Is it like your 10 numbers unlimited calling and messaging? Is it local or long distance? thanks
Yeah, 10 numbers, unlimited local calling and messaging (but only because I went with the 25$ plan. The 35$ plan has unlimited long-distance calling and messaging.)

Edit: And the 35$ plan also has more minutes, I think 250?