MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Urgent!!! Where Are The Lifeguard Interviews Held The Effekt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-08-2010 10:29 AM
coop interviews precious Academics 19 04-09-2010 01:27 AM
RLS interviews qwerty! Residence & Housing 49 02-12-2010 10:42 AM

Interviews

Old 02-27-2010 at 02:39 PM   #1
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Interviews
Hi!

So I have a few volunteer interviews coming up, including a W.W.R yay!
I'm kind of nervous. And looking for some advice... how should you present yourself? what do they look for? and anything else relevant...

I've never had like a formal volunteer interview especially in university.. just job interviews in which I do pretty well, but I get nervous! I just can't help it.... How can I calm myself?

thanks!
Old 02-27-2010 at 06:39 PM   #2
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Well I have nothing in particular but here are a random things:

#1 Be yourself, yeah I know you might have heard this cliche many times but it is important. If they ask you to answer a situation/question do it as you really would.

#2 A very important thing in situational questions is to somehow find a way to connect your decision making/thinking on the fly skills, this is shown by linking past volunteer or personal events to the related question eg: Describe a situation where you had a disagreement or where you had to make a decision you didn't like/agree with and on and on.

#3 For WWR they will generally try questions to ascertain how safe you will be around frosh and what kind of role model you are hence usually it is: What if a drunk frosh asks invites you to his house/residence or what if you see a fellow rep smoking weed with another frosh.

#4 It is okay to feel nervous however at the same time it is also all about first impressions, especially with WWR apps. As much as they try not to they will often end up judging you based on how confident you were at the interview.

But you should be okay if you did well with Job Interviews, with volunteer they are basically looking to see how committed you are and what kind of influence would you be for the organization and the people they serve.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Cassanova says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 02-27-2010 at 07:01 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I more or less agree with what Huzaifa has said, but here are some general interview tips which may help you out:

http://talentegg.ca/incubator/2009/1...s-by-students/
http://talentegg.ca/incubator/2010/0...iew-questions/
http://talentegg.ca/incubator/2010/0...test-weakness/

In general: http://talentegg.ca/incubator/catego...rviews-how-to/

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Cassanova says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 02-27-2010 at 08:53 PM   #4
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

I have a WWR interview as well..so pumped!! What type of questions do they ask? Seeing there is alot of applicants Who does the interviews? (HPA's)
Old 02-27-2010 at 08:59 PM   #5
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
I have a WWR interview as well..so pumped!! What type of questions do they ask? Seeing there is alot of applicants Who does the interviews? (HPA's)
For Maroons: The Outgoing/Incoming Spirit Leader and his new exec did the group interviews/selection.

For Faculties: Its usually the Welcome Week Co Planners

For Residence: A panel of three randomly selected HPA's/H-somethings do the interview and then ALL the HPA's have a NBA/NFL Draft kind of thing where they select people onto their teams and try and create an ideal mix and a balanced team. Hence if too many people with similar personal attributes apply for Rez Reps they all won't find a spot, while someone with different attributes would be more likely to get in. As an analogy if they have 10 Quarter backs and 5 Offensive Linesman to make a team of 4 they will choose 2 RB's and 2 OL's

I also heard that at times they blank out your name etc and it is all objective.

Old 02-27-2010 at 09:18 PM   #6
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
For Faculties: Its usually the Welcome Week Co Planners
Co-planners?!
Wow, I am SO glad that there aren't one-on-one interviews, then.
If I was in a room with Kieran Alkerton ALONE getting an interview, I'd die.

Old 02-27-2010 at 09:25 PM   #7
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
Co-planners?!
Wow, I am SO glad that there aren't one-on-one interviews, then.
If I was in a room with Kieran Alkerton ALONE getting an interview, I'd die.
hahah yeah unfortunately for you Jen Tayler is the other Co Planner

Old 02-27-2010 at 11:33 PM   #8
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
hahah yeah unfortunately for you Jen Tayler is the other Co Planner
OH, good. that way I won't faint.
Bahah

Old 03-03-2010 at 04:54 PM   #9
Cassanova

what would do if someone was drunk or doing something illegal?

I would report them immediately but to who? and what if its another rep? what sort of actions would we take? do you call campus security?
Old 03-03-2010 at 09:44 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
what would do if someone was drunk or doing something illegal?

I would report them immediately but to who? and what if its another rep? what sort of actions would we take? do you call campus security?

There was an incident one of the times I was a rep (pre-welcome week) where one of the other reps on my team used "that's so gay". I told them not to use words like that, as it was inappropriate an offensive, as it has the potential to alienate students. They said okay, I didn't realize, what I was saying or something like that.

Then, I believe later that day, or possibly the next, they said "that's so gay, I don't want to look like a f****t. Not only did they say that amongst all of the reps, but they said it around the HPA. First, a bunch of us told them they couldn't do that. Then the HPA pulled them aside and had a 30 minute talk with them about what was and wasn't appropriate, and how they were very close to being kicked off the team.

If it is an issue with a co-rep, try resolving it on your own first. If you don't feel comfortable, go to the HPA (aka the boss of all the reps). If the issue escalates, or you feel the HPA had done nothing, you got to the RM.

If a student is doing something illegal during WW (i.e. drinking underage), you may want to remind them it is against the residence code of conduct, and if they get caught, they are subjected to a major fine ($75). You should also technically tell a CA in the building as well.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Cassanova likes this.
Old 03-04-2010 at 03:25 AM   #11
huzaifa47

Yeah plus in terms of Faculty/Maroon/SOCS reps the boss in those rep teams will be the co-planners. If you get selected as a rep I would advise having both of their numbers on your cell and to call them whenever something shows up.

Also, Drinking or doing drugs with frosh is a HUGE no-no and is grounds for immediately dismissal imo, you should be telling your planners.

Old 03-06-2010 at 12:35 PM   #12
Cassanova

also how should we dress?
I don't want to overdo it

and do we need to bring anything?

Last edited by Cassanova : 03-06-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-06-2010 at 01:48 PM   #13
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

lame as ****.

I know acadia reps were supposed to drink. there even was a job called Beer Rep, that would make sure the beer was on time. Also, frosh would win beer for events.

lol are you even trying mac?

Last edited by andrew22 : 03-06-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2010 at 02:06 PM   #14
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post

I know acadia reps were supposed to drink. there even was a job called Beer Rep, that would make sure the beer was on time. Also, frosh would win beer for events.

Old 03-06-2010 at 03:42 PM   #15
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
lame as ****.

lol are you even trying mac?
different drinking ages