MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roommate discussion nikki12 Mary Keyes Forum 1 07-19-2010 08:19 PM
Guitar Discussion VastHorizon General Discussion 51 10-02-2009 06:10 PM
SOLAR discussion Chad Academics 41 07-31-2008 10:01 PM
Israeli Apartheid Controversy Chad Misc 0 02-29-2008 10:41 AM
New Course Discussion Forum Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 08-12-2007 05:46 PM

Israeli Apartheid Discussion

Old 03-06-2008 at 01:25 AM   #16
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

Liked: 24 Times

So, what happened on Friday was the so-called "Forum on Free Speech", which was meant to be moderated by an objective 3rd party, and should have been fair and equal for all sides. It was not.

SPHR and United 4 Human Rights (another organization that seemingly popped out of nowhere), invited students from the Canadian Federation of Students (a union which York, Ryerson, and UofT are members of, the MSU has tried to distance themselves from), members from the Steel Workers Union, as well as CUPE workers, and had faculty and students speaking. These were all in support of 'Free-Speech' and Israel Apartheid Week.

I had class friday morning, and so I missed the beginning, although I heard that it started out very on topic and very reasonable. Ryan Moran spoke at the beginning as well. It was only after a student from York University began to speak about Israel and talk about its evil's (about half an hour in), the moderator warned her to stay on topic, but did not stop her when she continued to bash Israel. From that point onward, the entire forum turned into a large anti-israel series of speakers. There were a total of 3 registered speakers in support of Israel (2 faculty and 1 student) as opposed to the dozens from the other side. The reason for this was that people in support of this side of the debate were only informed that they would be given a chance to have speakers the night before, and had to register them, which did not leave much room for organization.

As for what was said by these three people, I missed the first professors speech, but apparently he discussed his youth in Apartheid South Africa, and why the term does not apply to Israel, the student discussed the Student Code of Conduct and how the poster was in violation of it, and the third professor to speak was immediately cut off by the moderator when he mentioned terrorism against Israel and mentioned the name of Hassan Nasrallah (leader of Hezbollah). The microphone was shut off and the moderator turned on music to drown out his voice. At this point there was a large outcry from the audience about the moderators neutrality and how it was unfair, but the moderator was unmoved. Ironicaly, the next speaker was from CUPE, mentioned that the Israel situation was relevant to the topic because of the accusation of Hate Speech vs. Free Speech, and continued to bash Israel, without any imposition from the moderator.

Ryan Moran (I have heard) has said that if he knew what the forum would become, he would not have added his name to the list.

Now, that was my (admittedly biased) view of the forum. But nothing escalated to physical violence or anything beyond a few jeers from opposing sides in the crowd (thankfully).

I would just like to mention a few things about the "objective moderators" and then I will discuss the rally that followed.

The usher's who were charged with keeping the peace, showing people to their seats, and ensuring nobody gets out of hand were identified by wearing red armbands. However, at least one usher actually spoke during the 30 minute open floor and denounced Israel (just goes to show the objectivity of this 3rd party group).

Now, when I first arrived at the atrium, I had automatically assumed the red armbands were supporters for the palestinian side, and was quite surprised to learn that they were the ushers. The history of the red armbands (which I am sure many people are NOT informed about, but I AM fairly certain the organizers knew about), comes from Nazi Germany. The Nazi's soldiers wore red armbands with swastika's over their uniforms, and while there was no swatiska on the ushers, the message was still very clear. While I wish it were the case that the message escaped most students, I know (because I spoke to a few at the time) that there were some students (as well as community members present and faculty) who were rather intimidated by it. I myself (who was not really feeling very offended, intimidated, or harassed by anything prior to the forum), began to get a sense of intimidation from those wearing the red armbands.

A friend of mine went to go see the student play Cabaret on saturday (set in just pre-war germany), and when she returned she spoke to me and told me (in quite a shocked tone), that the Nazi costume on the actors had a red armband and it reminded her of the usher's on friday morning. (She apparently did not know where the red armband came from until watching the play).

Anyways, following the forum (I left before it started... thank goodness), the organizers of the forum held a rally in the atrium. They unfurled numerous Palestinian flags (as Scott000 said, no flags were allowed during the forum), as well as a number of posters with sayings such as "Death to Apartheid" "Students Against Israel" "Zionism = Racism" (all self explanatory) "Palestine will be free from the river to the sea" (which includes all of Israel) "Resistance is a right: Palestine & Lebanon" (referring to the 2006 war between Hezbollah and Israel). These signs and banners alone are bad enough, and when you put them together, the message cannot be construed as anything but hate speech. To make matters worse, the demonstrator's began chanting some (rather catchy) rhymes... One of which was "Viva Viva Intifada". The Intifada is the Palestinian word for Uprising, and specifically refers to two continuous organized terrorist assaults on Israel. The last of which was from 2001-2005, and led to the total deaths of (at the least...) hundreds of Israeli's by Suicide Bomber. Security reportedly had to line up between the demonstrators and jewish students.

Witnessing the rally, I know it reduced a NUMBER of students to tears, sent a number of students into shock, and has even prompted some of the more worried parents to suggest moving their students to different Universities. A friend of mine was almost convinced by his parents to commute for a week until the whole situation dies down.

While I wasn't there, I was personally extremely upset just from hearing about it, and when I saw video (which I actually have, this is how I am able to describe so accurately what happened) it really hit me much harder than I was expecting, I don't know what I would have done had I actually been there.

For some students, it has affected them so badly that the university sent counsellors from the CSD and chaplaincy center to the JSA office in order to help students get over the incident. Some of these students no longer feel safe walking in certain areas of campus, and I think it is no understatement to say that the forum on friday was CLEARLY in violation of a lot more than the Student Code of Conduct, and I believe it is a clear example of WHY the student code of conduct was created and needs to be enforced.

For another bit of a history lesson, Israel completely pulled out of both palestinian territories in 2003, dismantling jewish settlements, and despite huge protest from within Israel, in many cases forcibly removing their own citizens. The two years of suicide bombings which followed culminated in a period of a couple months where there were on average 3 suicide bombings a week, leading to the construction of a wall which is now a basis of a LOT of debate and dispute in the middle east and unfortunately is one of the things most of the Israel Apartheid often refers to. The wall ultimately has been effective and helped reduce the amount of Suicide Bombings.

Once again, it is late at night, and I think I'll come online again at some point tomorrow and talk about how all this distant middle east conflict relates to the average student. (Specifically in regards to the Student Code of Conduct)

I also just want to add that while I am trying to be as objective as possible, I think it is important to describe the reactions of students and the things which have upset them. I realize that this does create some bias, but I will try to address that in my next big post.

Last edited by rlevitin : 03-06-2008 at 01:47 AM.