MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Japanese 1Z06 davey 1st Year Course Reviews 10 04-16-2012 02:33 PM
TRADE FRENCH 1Z06 for SPANISH 1Z06 PLZZZ Liz.enriquez Academics 0 09-16-2010 05:57 PM
Chinese 1Z06 & Japanese 1Z06 wani Academics 2 08-14-2010 07:38 PM
Anybody dropping Italian 1Z06??? asloan Academics 0 07-31-2010 10:32 AM
French 1z06 and Spanish 1z06 (credit confusion) oli13 Academics 1 07-02-2010 04:48 PM

Italian 1z06

Old 05-26-2009 at 09:32 AM   #1
James

Liked: 0 Times

Italian 1z06
Just wondering if anyone has taken the beginner italian course (Italian 1Z06) and if you could provide a review on this course. What is the level of difficulty? How does the CALL (computer aided language learning) program work? This course is over both semesters and in the course calendar, it states 4 hours. Does this mean 2 hours in Semester 1 and 2 hours in Semester 2. Thanks for any information you can provide.
Old 05-26-2009 at 09:42 AM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I can answer at least a few of your questions :p.

I took German 1Z06 last year, and the 4 hours thing usually means 1 tutorial (probably an hour) and 3 fifty minute lectures a week... which I guess is close to 4 hours :s.

I'm not sure how CALL works. I'm pretty sure that only Italian and Spanish use that (maybe the Russian and Polish class too?).

As to the level of difficulty thing, I can't really comment since I haven't taken Italian, but if it's anything like how German was; you're expected to know absolutely nothing walking into the class on the first day.

James says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 05-26-2009 at 09:52 AM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

It could be the reverse for the 4 hour thing too, 3 tutorials a week and 1 lecture. That was how my French class went last year.

The reason there's so many hours is probably because they work on different things like, grammar, speaking, culture, writing and listening etc.

James says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 05-26-2009 at 10:04 AM   #4
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

I took JAPANESE 1Z06 last year and we had 1 hour of Lecture (the entire class), 1 hour of Tutorial (approximately half the class), and 2 hours of Lab (10-15 people) a week. "Tutorials" felt more like lectures (it was taught by the prof, just with less people) and our 2 hours of "Lab" felt more like a tutorial. So basically, it was like having 2 hours of lecture and 2 hours of tutorial. Ahahaha. All the language classes are structured differently, hopefully someone has taken Italian before?

James says thanks to davey for this post.