MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sleep & University. How to stop a running mind? ZSimon General Discussion 26 11-22-2012 11:47 AM
Kinesiology 3ss3 - Body, Mind, Spirit tony_0412ang Academics 0 08-11-2011 01:43 PM
Psych 3D03-Multisensory mind amita_24 Academics 0 06-07-2010 10:49 PM
Things you should be keeping in mind ... Rossclot General Discussion 3 04-26-2010 11:41 AM
Controlling Things With Your Mind Taunton Computers & Tech 13 02-05-2010 12:17 AM

I've changed my mind and don't know what to do with my life?????

Old 06-16-2013 at 12:57 PM   #1
lauricas

Liked: 13 Times

I've changed my mind and don't know what to do with my life?????
Hello all,

So I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what I want to do with my education. Now that I've gone through a year, my program doesn't seem right for me anymore. I thought I was interested in science and medicine, but now I have my serious doubts after finishing my first year. I am intelligent enough to peruse almost anything I want, so the matter doesn't come down to what I am good at, it's about what I would enjoy doing most for the rest of my life.

I've always been interested in design and film, but I have absolutely no experience with it. I've taken a few of those career cruising aptitude tests over and over and every time I do the results are the same, a little bit of everything. My interests go from wanting to be a therapist, to a doctor, to an interior designer, to a lawyer.

One of the careers that struck me as most interesting was a Set Designer. I would enjoy working on a film or television set so much, but is this an unrealistic goal? I don't want to end up going through with a degree and wake up every morning and think "wow, why didn't I just do what I wanted to do."

My biggest concern is how do I get the experience I need so late? There are people who have been doing things in the film and design and arts industry since they were young and are much more experienced than me. How do I get experience when I'm almost 20 years old? I know switching programs is just going to set me back a year or two but I don't mind, I think it's worth it.

Any advice??

Old 06-16-2013 at 03:09 PM   #2
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

You're certainly not alone in deciding to switch career paths after first year (particularly away from the medical aspect)...although switching to a "set designer" might be a little difficult. Have you considered the job prospects/outlook for media students? Television and film strikes me as a difficult field to conquer...even if you're good.
What I might advise is possibly looking into two careers...I noticed you had lawyers and interior designer up there. Maybe get a double degree in media and design (if there is such a thing), so you can have something to fall back on if TV doesn't work out...?
Old 06-16-2013 at 11:23 PM   #3
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

If you think of a more artistic path, it's not too late, but you need to start working on your portfolio, it is not necessary, but preferable. One of my friends is going got animation degree, his portfolio was a requirement, on the other had my other friend goes for movie making degree, and as far as I know the requirements weren't as hard.

My biggest concern is how do I get the experience I need so late?

Just practice, but really the hardest part in doing art, is the will to do art, and you seem to have it.

Say what, how about we meet for a coffee and discuss this whole subject?
Old 06-17-2013 at 07:03 AM   #4
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauricas View Post
My biggest concern is how do I get the experience I need so late? There are people who have been doing things in the film and design and arts industry since they were young and are much more experienced than me. How do I get experience when I'm almost 20 years old? I know switching programs is just going to set me back a year or two but I don't mind, I think it's worth it.

Any advice??
Step 1: Step back and realize that "20" isn't too late... There are people starting their LIVES over at 30, 40, and even 50. Then there are career-changers at all of those ages too.

At the age of 20, you're so infinitely far from "too old to change it up"... You just have to balance a little extra if finances are going to be an issue: You may need to figure that part out before your final year... But a huge chunk of students already solve that problem so it's not even a problem.

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 06-17-2013 at 10:20 AM   #5
wonderstruck

Liked: 4 Times

Im sorry I had to laugh when you said 20 being old. People change their careers all the time and much later in life. I'm a victim of that myself. I finished college several years ago, worked in that field I graduated from and now find myself at mac doing university for something totally different.

ashleighp likes this.
Old 06-17-2013 at 02:05 PM   #6
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

You sound like you are 50 thinking its to late to switch careers. While it is about experience , going into design is about talent and having that creative eye.

Why don't you look at volunteering at local theaters , even at Mac and see if anyone will let you design and make the sets. I am sure you can find somewhere that wants free work.