MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running routes around mac artsci2015 Athletics & Recreation 4 08-31-2011 08:47 AM
Campus security running stop signs without sirens Kathy2 General Discussion 5 03-24-2011 08:19 PM
THIS is why Steve Running should have won MaxEdison General Discussion 0 03-23-2011 01:57 PM
Running Shoes??! Skye First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-09-2010 02:02 PM
University Medical Center bus stop Halsinger General Discussion 3 09-11-2009 08:46 AM

Sleep & University. How to stop a running mind?

Old 11-20-2012 at 04:05 AM   #1
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Sleep & University. How to stop a running mind?
I'm done my work for the term. Ive been done it for a while now.. but I cant seem to be able to go to bed. There's always so much on my mind and I always end up sleeping at 530 or 6.. I need to fix this because I need to (must) go to more accounting classes and classes in general. I wasn't like this last yr.

Any tips are appreciated.
Old 11-20-2012 at 04:16 AM   #2
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

I have the exact same problem. I hope we get to sleep soon.
Old 11-20-2012 at 06:47 AM   #3
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

Lucky you.
I don't have time to sleep.
Old 11-20-2012 at 08:51 AM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Try taking melatonin around an hour before you want to go to bed. You can find it with the supplements/vitamins at Shopper's. It basically helps to tell your body that it's time to sleep. I very much prefer it to sleeping pills because it's not addictive, not as strong (so you're not a zombie the next day), and it helps to reset your sleep pattern. It also has relaxing properties which tend to help when you have a million thoughts racing through your head.
Old 11-20-2012 at 08:54 AM   #5
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times

Plan ahead! If you wanna go to bed at 12am and you end up going to bed at 5am. Try going to bed at 7pm and you'll eventually go to bed at 12am.

Sounds unrealistic, but it might just be crazy enough to work.

Old 11-20-2012 at 09:41 AM   #6
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Melatonin helps, forcing yourself to get up early helps, and I've found that exercise and eating properly helps too. I have has chronic insomnia in the past, generally because I couldn't get my mind to stop racing and I found it helped to fall asleep to a favorite movie... something I know so well that I won't care about staying awake for. It provides a distraction to let me drift off. Also, watch what you eat and drink in the hours before you fall asleep, caffeine, heavy foods etc.
Old 11-20-2012 at 09:49 AM   #7
Porsche911

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
Melatonin helps, forcing yourself to get up early helps, and I've found that exercise and eating properly helps too. I have has chronic insomnia in the past, generally because I couldn't get my mind to stop racing and I found it helped to fall asleep to a favorite movie... something I know so well that I won't care about staying awake for. It provides a distraction to let me drift off. Also, watch what you eat and drink in the hours before you fall asleep, caffeine, heavy foods etc.
Agree. I know it's harder in the winter but doing something active like going for a half hour run helps so much. Eating healthy is also great. Try to not eat a few hours before going to bed, but don't go to bed hungry.

I like reading right before bed, but the type of book makes a huge difference. Something that makes you think too much probably won't help (so Ulysses is probably a bad idea).
Old 11-20-2012 at 09:59 AM   #8
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitotst View Post
Plan ahead! If you wanna go to bed at 12am and you end up going to bed at 5am. Try going to bed at 7pm and you'll eventually go to bed at 12am.

Sounds unrealistic, but it might just be crazy enough to work.
You dont get it. He has insomnia, not bad time management. Many people do, including me. The reasons are usually stress and bad diet.

Snowman, starfish, ZSimon like this.
Old 11-20-2012 at 10:51 AM   #9
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
I'm done my work for the term. Ive been done it for a while now.. but I cant seem to be able to go to bed. There's always so much on my mind and I always end up sleeping at 530 or 6.. I need to fix this because I need to (must) go to more accounting classes and classes in general. I wasn't like this last yr.

Any tips are appreciated.
If you're already done all your work for the term, why do you even need to go to classes?

As long as you're getting the x hours of sleep you need, then what does it matter if you sleep in or not?
Old 11-20-2012 at 11:07 AM   #10
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

I've found myself with similar problems. You close your eyes, try falling asleep, but your mind just races and wanders, right? Just cycling through all your problems, stresses ad infinitum. I've found if i put on calming music, like chillstep or rainymood or something, then meditate for an hour or two (you'd just be tossing and turning for an hour or two anyways...) i can clear my mind and fall asleep much easier. You also become less frustrated, instead of thinking "WHY CAN'T I FUCKING FALL ASLEEP", you chose to not sleep for that hour, and you can calmly fall asleep.

Either that, or the use of a particular illegal narcotic notorious for "making you sleepy and calm". Or meditation and that at the same time for an even faster sleep.

Adaptation does not condone the use of illegal narcotics... unless you're splitting a bowl with him.

nmerwin, ZSimon like this.
Old 11-20-2012 at 12:20 PM   #11
kowalej

Liked: 15 Times

You have too much extra energy. Try doing some hard exercise in the evening, maybe a few hours before bed.. trust me you will fall asleep no problem.
Old 11-20-2012 at 12:39 PM   #12
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
If you're already done all your work for the term, why do you even need to go to classes?

As long as you're getting the x hours of sleep you need, then what does it matter if you sleep in or not?
Term work is different from studying for exams...
Old 11-20-2012 at 12:59 PM   #13
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:

this is probably the most important time to go to class since stuff at this time is heavily covered on exams usually

Yogurt, ZSimon like this.
Old 11-20-2012 at 01:12 PM   #14
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Over the summer I had a 830-430 job. I was tired every day until I adopted the Everyman sleep pattern:

4.5 hour sleep from 230 - 7:10 (allowing 10 minutes to fall asleep)
20-30 minute nap at 12:00 - 12:30 start with 30, eventually you'll wake after 20 or at least I did)
20-30 minute nap at 5:00 - 5:30
20-30 minute nap at 9:45 - 10:15

The adjustment period only took me about 3 days I'd say, and slowly I got more efficient at taking naps. I wasn't tired throughout the day anymore (but could still fall asleep for naps near instantly even without the tired feeling). Set an alarm, lie down, close your eyes, follow a strict sleep schedule regardless of if you miss a nap or can't sleep. In a few days your body will adjust to your designated sleep times and will be able to fall asleep very quickly (at least that's how it worked for me). I'm going to go back on it next semester when I have a bunch of early classes I think, I stopped only because I would rather sleep than be awake once my job ended at the end of the summer.

EDIT: you can also do just 2 naps, or a 3 hour core sleep. Actually that's how it's supposed to be for optimizing your awake time, but since that wasn't my goal I added another sleep cycle (1.5 hour extra to my core sleep).
Old 11-20-2012 at 01:34 PM   #15
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Quote:

Being picky, but there's a big difference between night sleep and day sleep. Getting less than 6-8 hours night rest (that matches up with your body clock) over long periods will likely have detrimental effects on your body. Day sleep does not compensate for that sleep debt. Based on personal experience, sleep from 10 PM–5 AM feels a ton better than from 1 AM–8 AM.

That said, I'm not sure what happens if your circadian rhythm is out of whack.

Desda likes this.