MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jobs on Campus ranoona First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-26-2011 11:25 PM
Jobs on Campus? CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 36 08-17-2010 11:07 PM
On-Campus Jobs ferreinm MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-27-2010 08:42 AM
Campus Jobs Chad Volunteering Opportunities 0 03-31-2010 09:50 PM
jobs on campus nick Volunteering Opportunities 2 03-14-2010 07:25 PM

What jobs can you get on campus?

Old 12-28-2011 at 08:05 AM   #1
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

What jobs can you get on campus?
I'm thinking of trying to apply for some jobs for next term to see if I can get some income to help out my family. What are some jobs you guys know of or places where they could possibly be hiring?

And what about applying for a math ta? Is that process difficult? I'm good with math I suppose, and I love helping people out and I got a 12 in Math 1LS3, although it was too easy. Would it even be worth it for me to try and apply? Maybe they won't accept anyone who took math 1ls3?

Any ideas
Old 12-28-2011 at 08:10 AM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Here's the webpage for information on the TA position in the Math department:
http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/childsa/tajobs2.html
Old 12-28-2011 at 09:32 AM   #3
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

To be a math TA I'm pretty sure you need a full year of calculus.

"What are the minimum qualifications for a TA or marker position?
- The minimum qualifications to be a TA or marker for a calculus course is at least A- in both Math 1A03 and 1AA3 (or 1X03/1XX3 or 1N03/1NN3 or 1Z04/1ZZ5 or 1ZA3/1ZB3/1ZC3 or 1LS3/1LT3, or A&S 1D06). For other courses, the minimum requirement is at least A- in that course."
Old 12-28-2011 at 09:53 AM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

There are some jobs on campus, but not tons. Your best bet is applying for the McWork/Work-Study program through Career Services (I think it's called the Student Success Centre now). I haven't done this for a few years, so my information might be a little dated.

The jobs are mostly office stuff. It can be administrative like answering phones, it could be a research assistant position, it could be a position in the hospital like cleaning lab animal cages, etc. Lots of the jobs are for Engineering and Health Science students, but there are definitely some open to everyone.

You need to be eligible for OSAP to get these positions. You don't have to have received OSAP, just be eligible for it. If you haven't applied for OSAP, you can fill out a budget information sheet from the Financial Aid office and they will determine if you are eligible or not. It asks how much you make during the year, how much your parents make (unless you're more than 4 years out of highschool), what you spend your money on, etc.

Here's some more information:
http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/work_study/jobs.html

drpatel likes this.