MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hamilton Summer jobs/ Oscar Paigela Volunteering Opportunities 13 04-18-2010 12:22 PM
1st Yr Life Sci Marks - not posted? resh.jyoti First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 01-01-2010 02:35 PM
when are marks posted? soltintal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 12-11-2009 01:51 PM
has the schedule for SCI 1A003 been posted up yet? sj316 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 09-13-2008 10:35 AM

Jobs posted on oscar

Old 07-09-2009 at 08:47 PM   #16
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
^ Yeah, exactly my point. If you have no experience, you're screwed. And if a job requires virtually no experience, you're overqualified for it. I guess internships and co-op in upper years is the next option.
Just because you're in co-op doesn't mean that getting a job is any easier. You're still competing against other students either from the same or different universities. Plus, the co-op office is not there to guarantee you a job... in the end, it's the effort you put in. That's just my two cents having gone through the co-op experience.

I know that for some of the jobs, they already have people in mind. So it helps to job hunt early and maybe even talk to these people in person.
Old 07-09-2009 at 08:59 PM   #17
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

On a slightly different topic, who do I go to if I can't log in to Oscar? It says my Mac ID user name is invalid, but it works for MUGSI.
Old 07-09-2009 at 09:08 PM   #18
Ivan Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
On a slightly different topic, who do I go to if I can't log in to Oscar? It says my Mac ID user name is invalid, but it works for MUGSI.
Have you enabled your "MAC ID Services" yet?
Old 07-09-2009 at 09:17 PM   #19
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Q. View Post
Have you enabled your "MAC ID Services" yet?
Yep. MUGSI works, emails work. Don't know what else to check.
Old 07-09-2009 at 09:19 PM   #20
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

It depends if your program offers co-op or not.

Old 07-09-2009 at 09:25 PM   #21
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
It depends if your program offers co-op or not.
No. Incoming first year students can't access OSCAR until
1. they've paid for their fees
2. their information gets uploaded into our system sometime in August

reeves, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to ferreinm for this post.
Old 07-09-2009 at 09:25 PM   #22
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Just because you're in co-op doesn't mean that getting a job is any easier. You're still competing against other students either from the same or different universities. Plus, the co-op office is not there to guarantee you a job... in the end, it's the effort you put in. That's just my two cents having gone through the co-op experience.

I know that for some of the jobs, they already have people in mind. So it helps to job hunt early and maybe even talk to these people in person.
Well there's a fourth year co-op class thing in my program where I go to a Speech Language Pathologist in the area and watch him/her do their thing, so I'm sort of guaranteed as long as I do my part. It looks good for the masters program and then voila, I've got good qualifications.

One of my friends was urging me the other day to do co-op because you get lots of experience that way and you network and such.
Old 07-09-2009 at 09:28 PM   #23
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
That's the problem. You have to be given a chance in order to GET that experience :(
Yeah, that's the dilemma. It sucks doesn't it. :/
Old 07-09-2009 at 09:43 PM   #24
Ivan Q.

Quote:
Well there's a fourth year co-op class thing in my program where I go to a Speech Language Pathologist in the area and watch him/her do their thing, so I'm sort of guaranteed as long as I do my part. It looks good for the masters program and then voila, I've got good qualifications.

One of my friends was urging me the other day to do co-op because you get lots of experience that way and you network and such.
Well that's good then. You should definitely do it! It's worth it in the end if you learn new skills and techniques and get to network.

For my program, we were in direct competition with senior biochem students... not fun =/
Old 07-09-2009 at 09:47 PM   #25
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Well that's good then. You should definitely do it! It's worth it in the end if you learn new skills and techniques and get to network.

For my program, we were in direct competition with senior biochem students... not fun =/
Yikes, that doesn't sound fun - well keep on the lookout for internships and whatnot. Especially the paid ones.
Old 07-09-2009 at 10:04 PM   #26
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Yeah, that's the dilemma. It sucks doesn't it. :/
Definitely:(. And I agree, every employer would think of their business first, and getting someone experienced saves him all the training and such, as opposed to a person who's never had a job =/
Old 07-09-2009 at 10:31 PM   #27
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

there's actually a lot of jobs available. Its just that personal preference comes into play and the job may not seems so great so people are like I'll find another one. Apply to what ever you can! Get that work experience... and hey you make money! Not a bad deal for something you might just do over weekends.
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:30 AM   #28
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
there's actually a lot of jobs available. Its just that personal preference comes into play and the job may not seems so great so people are like I'll find another one. Apply to what ever you can! Get that work experience... and hey you make money! Not a bad deal for something you might just do over weekends.
I definitely agree! But it's also good to exclude the jobs you KNOW you won't like. Just in case
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:32 AM   #29
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

I know a lot of faculties don't let undergrads do this, but a good job to try and get is to T.A. a course.

A) it looks good on a resume

and

B) it pays really well ($20.75/hour)
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:32 AM   #30
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I would disagree. You won't really know you're not going to like a job until you do it. I hated jobs I thought I was really going to like.

And I've noticed that many students don't start applying for work until the summer after their first year, so they're disadvantaged when they apply for the same jobs as their peers who worked during high school. If you have zero work experience, you shouldn't be picky.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

zoppos likes this.