MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hamilton Summer jobs/ Oscar Paigela Volunteering Opportunities 13 04-18-2010 12:22 PM
1st Yr Life Sci Marks - not posted? resh.jyoti First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 01-01-2010 02:35 PM
when are marks posted? soltintal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 12-11-2009 01:51 PM
has the schedule for SCI 1A003 been posted up yet? sj316 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 09-13-2008 10:35 AM

Jobs posted on oscar

Old 07-10-2009 at 01:45 AM   #31
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
I know a lot of faculties don't let undergrads do this, but a good job to try and get is to T.A. a course.

A) it looks good on a resume

and

B) it pays really well ($20.75/hour)
Ooohh that actually sounds cool, being a TA. Do you have to be a grad student, or just in an upper year?
Old 07-10-2009 at 07:36 AM   #32
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Ooohh that actually sounds cool, being a TA. Do you have to be a grad student, or just in an upper year?
You can be an undergrad in the Sciences, Math or Eng and teach classes to undergrads. Sometimes you can in Commerce as well. However Humanities and Soc Sci students very rarely have undergrad TAs as a rule. The courses are too subjective in terms of marking, and I assume the knowledge needed to do well as a TA.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

~*Sara*~ says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:53 PM   #33
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Yes, this is true. First years are pretty disadvantaged, but for 2nd year, you will have better chances for co-op, summer job terms and T.A.

Woo T.A.

Old 07-10-2009 at 02:08 PM   #34
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
You can be an undergrad in the Sciences, Math or Eng and teach classes to undergrads. Sometimes you can in Commerce as well. However Humanities and Soc Sci students very rarely have undergrad TAs as a rule. The courses are too subjective in terms of marking, and I assume the knowledge needed to do well as a TA.
That actually sounds awesome?! Anyone know where I can find more informtion about that =$, Merci beforehand
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:09 PM   #35
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
Yes, this is true. First years are pretty disadvantaged, but for 2nd year, you will have better chances for co-op, summer job terms and T.A.

Woo T.A.
Isn't it hard to TA a class while you have your own classes though =S?
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:18 PM   #36
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Quote:
I hope its not hard. I probably will have my classes in the afternoon, and T.A. 8:30am cause no one wants it.

Old 07-10-2009 at 02:22 PM   #37
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
I hope its not hard. I probably will have my classes in the afternoon, and T.A. 8:30am cause no one wants it.
Are you trying it our first time?! Regardless, it's only a weekly thing.. for 1 or 2 hours, and sounds like a lot of fun =D
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:16 PM   #38
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Are you trying it our first time?! Regardless, it's only a weekly thing.. for 1 or 2 hours, and sounds like a lot of fun =D
Haha not really, you have to take time out to plan how your tutorials will go. My TA was complaining how she only gets paid for a certain amount of hours, but she puts a lot more work into it. It depends on the TA and if they care of course.

It's lame but as least it's like 20 bucks an hour :]
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:19 PM   #39
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Haha not really, you have to take time out to plan how your tutorials will go. My TA was complaining how she only gets paid for a certain amount of hours, but she puts a lot more work into it. It depends on the TA and if they care of course.

It's lame but as least it's like 20 bucks an hour :]
That sounds like every job I've ever had. Par for the course in the modern workforce, I suppose.
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:25 PM   #40
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

I think I'm the only one that finds it interesting . $20/ hour sounds so much better than minimum wage too
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:27 PM   #41
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
It really comes down to how organized you are. I'm taking 12 courses this year (FML), but I still plan to try and T.A. a course each semester. It's definitely more work than not doing it, but it's still very possible. It just means that you have to be really strict with yourself and not slack off.

The way it works in Commerce I'm told, is there is a weekly T.A. meeting at the start of the week, or end of the week before, where the prof goes over what you need to teach in class. Then you basically prep yourself beforehand for the class, and then go ahead and teach. The only major problem that you might find is when you have to mark your classes' exam/assignments the same weekend that you planned to study for your own exam. That just means you need to start earlier.

Key Point I'm trying to get across: Time Management
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:41 PM   #42
feonateresa
Elite Member

Oh wow, 12 courses? How??

I might TA for Linguistics in upper years, but public speaking is so not my forte. However, I notice how kids get smaller every year haha so maybe it won't be so bad.
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:44 PM   #43
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Oh wow, 12 courses? How??

I might TA for Linguistics in upper years, but public speaking is so not my forte. However, I notice how kids get smaller every year haha so maybe it won't be so bad.
I've spoken to a lot of my TAs, and they say that it's a really good experience, they all enjoyed it, and on top of that, the pay is amazing. If you end up TAing both semesters, you make just under $4000, which is really nice to help pad down any student debt you may have accrued thus far.

And I'm overloading 2 courses to bring my total to 12
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:46 PM   #44
feonateresa
Elite Member

*__* I pretty much love the sound of money.

So what are the requirements for being a TA usually? I imagine it's different for every faculty/program, but I'm guessing a 10 and up average.
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:50 PM   #45
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
*__* I pretty much love the sound of money.

So what are the requirements for being a TA usually? I imagine it's different for every faculty/program, but I'm guessing a 10 and up average.
For Commerce, the minimum requirement is usually a 10 or an 11 in the class you want to T.A. While you don't need a super duper GPA outside of that class, the more people that apply for a position, the more competitive it gets obviously.