MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
MACCESS Portal Launch - Jan 22 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 20 01-25-2009 09:05 PM
Launch Party Photos Chad ARCHIVES 0 03-13-2007 12:21 PM
Groups to launch Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-29-2006 03:07 PM

JollyBug Website Launch

Adrian Burlacu, a prominent member of MacInsiders has launched a new website to help build volunteerism in Hamilton, geared mainly towards healthcare. The service, jollybug.org, is a website designed specifically to help students find a volunteer placement in Hamilton.

"You, the Macinsiders community, have a bit of an advance notice since you guys have been an inspiration and have had a direct hand in helping to get this idea off the ground", Adrian says, "please make sure to explore the site, we've made sure to include as many helpful features as possible".

JollyBug's goal is to reach out patients in Hamilton be they friends, neighbours, or strangers and have their group of volunteers work with hospitals to provide a more comfortable stay for patients, both directly and indirectly. This can mean visiting with long-term patients, talking to patients’ families and friends, and even participating in committees within the hospitals.

Whether your interest is in the social, administrative, or healthcare aspect of the health system, we can be the catalyst. We provide a stable, organised group with a good reputation so that you can network, build experience, and even make friends. Those of us who have spent time volunteering at the hospitals have come to appreciate just how much of a difference a few hours a week can make to a patient with no one else.

We wish the best of luck to Adrian and JollyBug and the great initiative behind it!
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-17-2010 at 11:00 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Is this just for the health care system? If so, is it just hospitals or is it all kinds of healthcare?

Old 08-17-2010 at 11:01 PM   #4
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Is this just for the health care system? If so, is it just hospitals or is it all kinds of healthcare?
Any volunteering placement! I started thinking, and thought why discriminate?

I mean myself, I will be more focused on hospitals so that I don't go crazy searching information on ALL volunteering placements in Hamilton, but if users or volunteer coordinators contact the site about other volunteering venues, we welcome them to stay with open arms.

Last edited by adrian : 08-17-2010 at 11:08 PM.

jhan523 likes this.

Old 08-17-2010 at 11:04 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Any volunteering placement! I started thinking, and thought why discriminate?
Sounds great!

adrian says thanks to jhan523 for this post.

Old 08-17-2010 at 11:11 PM   #6
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
I mean myself, I will be more focused on hospitals so that I don't go crazy searching information on ALL volunteering placements in Hamilton, but if users or volunteer coordinators contact the site about other volunteering venues, we welcome them to stay with open arms.
In fact, we have a hospital crawl that will allow us to gather hospital information by going to the volunteering coordinators themselves. But, we may have other types of crawls later, such as homeless shelters and so on.

Old 08-17-2010 at 11:34 PM   #7
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times
I just wanted to mention on your first post you comment on Canada being a cultural melting-pot.

Canada is a mosaic of multiculturalism. The states is viewed as a cultural meltingpot. There is a HUGE difference. If you would like to know more as to why, email [email protected] and he will surely go on for days about why.

Good cause, though.

Old 08-17-2010 at 11:41 PM   #8
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzz View Post
I just wanted to mention on your first post you comment on Canada being a cultural melting-pot.

Canada is a mosaic of multiculturalism. The states is viewed as a cultural meltingpot. There is a HUGE difference. If you would like to know more as to why, email [email protected] and he will surely go on for days about why.

Good cause, though.
I use melting-pot instead of mosaic to illustrate the fact that cultures do not remain separate, as in a mosaic, but rather become liquid and blend(this actually happened to me). But I appreciate the feedback, as it gives me a chance to clarify.

Oh and thanks for not taking the chance to hijack the thread into an argument about it.

Old 08-18-2010 at 05:35 PM   #9
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times
Looks interesting. Hopefully it gets active and works.

Old 08-18-2010 at 07:35 PM   #10
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
I love the name and logo!!
The site isn't working for me though. It loads for a few minutes, then ends up on a blank screen.
It might be my computer (it has been acting up for a few days), but all other websites are working fine right now :/

adrian says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.

Old 08-18-2010 at 07:48 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
The site isn't working for me though. It loads for a few minutes, then ends up on a blank screen.
It might be my computer (it has been acting up for a few days), but all other websites are working fine right now :/
I'm getting the same thing right now...

Old 08-18-2010 at 09:36 PM   #12
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
I just tried again, it works now

Old 08-18-2010 at 09:40 PM   #13
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times
Neat logo!

adrian says thanks to Chad for this post.

Old 08-18-2010 at 10:01 PM   #14
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times
Quote:
I use melting-pot instead of mosaic to illustrate the fact that cultures do not remain separate, as in a mosaic, but rather become liquid and blend(this actually happened to me). But I appreciate the feedback, as it gives me a chance to clarify.

Oh and thanks for not taking the chance to hijack the thread into an argument about it.
Did that guy do your thang Adrian? Or you got someone else set-up the site for you?
Just curious a bit!

Old 08-19-2010 at 12:27 AM   #15
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Did that guy do your thang Adrian? Or you got someone else set-up the site for you?
Just curious a bit!
Rohan and I worked very VERY hard these past few days to bring you the site. In the end, it all worked out very well. We collaborated nicely, with a couple hundred emails going back and forth. It was a very good lesson for me, both in building websites but also communication. I'm very happy that we did this. It required some work, but I think we pulled it off quite well.

BIG props to Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Neat logo!
Rohan's creation! He's very inspired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Yes, this usually means we are furiously trying to fix or enhance something. That was Rohan probably.

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-19-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search