MacInsiders Logo

This just in:

Old 12-10-2010 at 10:42 PM   #1
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

This just in:
Biology 2B03: Cell Biology is making me hate biology.

There are aspects to biology that aren't just MASS, AIMLESS memorization - right?

Where's the synergy? Where's the application? Where's the POINT?

Some of these second year courses are making me go INSANE. Specifically BIO 2B03 and BIO 2C03. Genetics is actually worse, it's 99% trying to decipher what our moronic professors have decided to copy/paste from the textbook en masse today!

Times like these make me wonder if I should just switch into physics... I have the prerequisites after all :/

Where are the courses that require you to fully understand the content, sure you need to know the pathway, the names of proteins, but it shouldn't be the ULTIMATE focus, and it shouldn't hop around from protein to protein from slide to slide without any regard for flow.

Also, if any biology professors ever read this:

PICK AN ORGANISM TO USE FOR DESCRIPTIONS/EXPERIMENTS, THEN STICK WITH IT. YEAST, HUMANS, PLANARIA, MICE; PICK ONE.

Last edited by Kendoon : 12-10-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Old 12-10-2010 at 10:54 PM   #2
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Most annoying thing is when they mention details that DON'T MAKE SENSE BECAUSE they don't tell you the abbreviations.

You're telling me we're supposed to know that Cohesin and Condensin are both Smc protein complexes. The **** does "SMC" mean? Why do we have to know it when we don't even know what Smc stands for?

We're supposed to know the MAP K pathway like the back of our hands, but it might have helped if the professor ever told us MAP stands for mitogen activated protein, so we KNEW what the pathway was for.

Another example is the Mad2 conformations - we learn that shit in so much detail, but when microtubules bind to the kinetochore, suddenly p31 comes out of NOWHERE, and Mad2 is left floating around doing nothing? If we're gonna learn in so much detail what's the point of skipping how the process ends and entering random proteins in the mixture that come out of nowhere?

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 12-10-2010 at 10:56 PM   #3
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post

There are aspects to biology that aren't just MASS, AIMLESS memorization - right?
Would you prefer a lie, or the truth?
Old 12-10-2010 at 10:57 PM   #4
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Most annoying thing is when they mention details that DON'T MAKE SENSE BECAUSE they don't tell you the abbreviations.

You're telling me we're supposed to know that Cohesin and Condensin are both Smc protein complexes. The **** does "SMC" mean? Why do we have to know it when we don't even know what Smc stands for?

We're supposed to know the MAP K pathway like the back of our hands, but it might have helped if the professor ever told us MAP stands for mitogen activated protein, so we KNEW what the pathway was for.

Another example is the Mad2 conformations - we learn that shit in so much detail, but when microtubules bind to the kinetochore, suddenly p31 comes out of NOWHERE, and Mad2 is left floating around doing nothing? If we're gonna learn in so much detail what's the point of skipping how the process ends and entering random proteins in the mixture that come out of nowhere?
****, don't even get me started on MAP K. I not only memorized, but I UNDERSTOOD those pathways, what did that get me? NOTHING. THEY WEREN'T EVEN ON THE TEST, AND THEY WERE THE BULK - LITERALLY THE BULK (RE: >HALF) - OF THE LECTURE SLIDES.

WTF GUYS?

That p31 Mad2 shit is beyond annoying. They just copy/paste shit from the textbook and put in 1-2 little captions and expect you to be Captain ****ing Planaria.

Old 12-10-2010 at 10:57 PM   #5
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
Would you prefer a lie, or the truth?
I know the truth. That was more or less a statement to keep my brain from imploding in on itself due to the pointlessness of my current path.

Old 12-10-2010 at 10:58 PM   #6
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Times like these make me wonder if I should just switch into physics... I have the prerequisites after all :/
Take this advice!
Old 12-10-2010 at 10:59 PM   #7
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Also, my boy and I are LOLing @ Captain Planaria.

britb, Kendoon like this.
Old 12-10-2010 at 11:01 PM   #8
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Then whomever wrote the cell bio final exam info pdf had the audacity to mock us by saying 'biology is memorizing the little details bla bla bla'

HEY IDIOT...

PERHAPS IF YOU UNDERSTOOD WHERE THE FOCUS OF THE CONTENT WAS, WE WOULDN'T HAVE THIS DISPUTE

Old 12-10-2010 at 11:09 PM   #9
dhyong

Liked: 19 Times

How would it make you feel if I told you that your in your courses next year, you won't need 90% of the stuff you painstakingly memorized in 2B03?

Old 12-10-2010 at 11:10 PM   #10
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhyong View Post
How would it make you feel if I told you that your in your courses next year, you won't need 90% of the stuff you painstakingly memorized in 2B03?
Pretty good, actually.

Considering I won't remember it anyways.

Right now this is just short term memory, hence why I have to wake up tomorrow and go over this stuff until I can puke it up all over my test.

macsci, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 12-10-2010 at 11:13 PM   #11
dhyong

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Pretty good, actually.

Considering I won't remember it anyways.

Right now this is just short term memory, hence why I have to wake up tomorrow and go over this stuff until I can puke it up all over my test.
I'm glad I made your night less stressful.
Just memorize it, spit it out, and you can forget about it. Who is the cell bio prof this year anyways?

Old 12-10-2010 at 11:16 PM   #12
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Steph Dewitte-Orr.

She's not bad, she's pretty nice/cute/pleasant/has a jokes laugh, but the course pisses me off.
Old 12-10-2010 at 11:17 PM   #13
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhyong View Post
I'm glad I made your night less stressful.
Just memorize it, spit it out, and you can forget about it. Who is the cell bio prof this year anyways?
de-witte orr

Old 12-10-2010 at 11:17 PM   #14
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Steph Dewitte-Orr.

She's not bad, she's pretty nice/cute/pleasant/has a jokes laugh, but the course pisses me off.
Yeah shes very nice

I just have a problem with my severe lack of care regarding the content

Old 12-10-2010 at 11:56 PM   #15
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

I seriously love your threads.

How did you find the big q's exam