This just in:

Old 12-11-2010 at 02:36 PM   #61
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
My brain is fried at this point. I just want to get this over with :@
I'm just staring at my notes at this point: I honestly dont know half of week 11 and half of week 12 and I don't really care....

Like, I was just looking at mammalian cdk complex cycling and it isnt registering

g1/S = cdk4/6 + cyclin D or E...something

G2 is like...cdk1 and cyclins A/B,....

Old 12-11-2010 at 02:43 PM   #62
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlov View Post

Anyone take 2A03 in the past or taking next term?

I am actually taking this course next term. I was under the impression that McLelland was the sole lecturer, and was happy since I hear he is good. Do you know who else is teaching the course?
The lecturer is Dewitte-Orr. She's a decent prof, and many find her to be a kind person. Also, everyone believes her laugh is funny, while I find it makes me rage because of how ridiculous it is. Anywho, the course is pretty much pure memorization, as you can tell from the thread. As for 2A03, if you're referring to Life Sci 2A03, it's a so-so course. There is a lot about stem cells, much more than I expected. Tutorials are easy marks, and so is the presentation that you have to do with it. One term paper, not to bad, but a pain in the ass. The lectures were not that good though, the slides were shit and the profs pretty much read off of them.

Btw, I love your avatar.

EDIT: I described the wrong course.....

Last edited by Buszaj : 12-11-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-11-2010 at 02:44 PM   #63
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

i thouhht it was just mcellend too, if there s another prof its most likely wilson ... oh god someone save us!!
Old 12-11-2010 at 02:45 PM   #64
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
The lecturer is Dewitte-Orr. She's a decent prof, and many find her to be a kind person. Also, everyone believes her laugh is funny, while I find it makes me rage because of how ridiculous it is. Anywho, the course is pretty much pure memorization, as you can tell from the thread. As for 2A03, if you're referring to Life Sci 2A03, it's a so-so course. There is a lot about stem cells, much more than I expected. Tutorials are easy marks, and so is the presentation that you have to do with it. One term paper, not to bad, but a pain in the ass. The lectures were not that good though, the slides were shit and the profs pretty much read off of them.
my only two good marks (10+) in this term are 2a03 and 2b03

guess which one is going way down after today

Old 12-11-2010 at 02:45 PM   #65
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
pretty sure he meant bio 2a03
Old 12-11-2010 at 02:48 PM   #66
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

Lol, ya, I just realized that. Fail on my part. :S Well, now he knows in case he ever makes the mistake of taking Bio/Life Sci 2B03.
Old 12-11-2010 at 02:52 PM   #67
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Quote:

Btw, I love your avatar.

EDIT: I described the wrong course.....
lol, ya i meant Bio 2A03. Thanks for quick 'review'. Ok well im glad is not Dr.Wilson thats the co-lecturer in Bio 2A03 next term, cause ive heard quite a few things...none positive.

Oh the avatar, ya thats one of my favorite pictures. Buddy photographer of mine snapped it using some crazy filters when I did a gig last summer.
Old 12-11-2010 at 03:01 PM   #68
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Check out the course reviews for a better idea, but Bio 2A03 is definitely more about getting a general idea of how things work. Like, there will still be a lot of memorization, but it won't be trying to remember specific pathways without a foundation- you can relate everything back to how the body functions, so most stuff makes sense intuitively. However, the actual testing and lab formats weren't great.

Bio 2B03 sounds brutal now from how you guys have described it, when I took it most people considered it an easy mark...
Old 12-11-2010 at 03:06 PM   #69
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

it sucks but thats how courses work like i hear life sci 2a03 was a joke easy 12 but I found it to be awful n brutal. like sure the tutorials were easy but the mdterms were weird i wuldnt have considered it a joke, argh i hate that course
Old 12-11-2010 at 03:23 PM   #70
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Bio 2B03 is not that bad if you realize that you shouldn't try understanding and just try memorizing like mad - you know, the one thing that first year profs kept telling you that changes from high school to university?

"Guys, everyone knows you can memorize, we're going to test your thinking now!!!"

What a lie.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 12-11-2010 at 03:34 PM   #71
pavlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Bio 2B03 is not that bad if you realize that you shouldn't try understanding and just try memorizing like mad - you know, the one thing that first year profs kept telling you that changes from high school to university?

"Guys, everyone knows you can memorize, we're going to test your thinking now!!!"

What a lie.
I agree..however, there has been one prof that has practiced how he said he was going to test.. Dr. Joe Kim!
Old 12-11-2010 at 03:36 PM   #72
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlov View Post
I agree..however, there has been one prof that has practiced how he said he was going to test.. Dr. Joe Kim!
LOL yeah, I was thinking about him as I wrote that - his tests are insane, no memorization, 100% application, just like organic chem.

So awesome.
Old 12-11-2010 at 03:41 PM   #73
pavlov

Quote:
LOL yeah, I was thinking about him as I wrote that - his tests are insane, no memorization, 100% application, just like organic chem.

So awesome.
Ya i'm leaning towards having chem as part of my stream for next year, the more I hear about memorization biology courses.

Glad to hear orgo requires understanding of the material. I am loving Chem 1A03 this term since I can ace the tests cause I dont have to memorize to a degree.

Anyone here in bio-chem? Would love to hear your summary of the program/courses you've taken.
Old 12-11-2010 at 06:01 PM   #74
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

i feel bad for you guys. bio 2b03 was really easy when i took it. well good luck to y'all. oh actually, i don't think I understood the cyclin complexes very well either :p but thankfully, they weren't tested at much depth for my exam. I have a plants exam on Wednesday and then I will be saying adiós to biology
Old 12-11-2010 at 06:39 PM   #75
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:

What a lie.

take my program and you will see that it isn't a lie

also the cake is a lie.