MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You are invited! Student Success Centre Grand Opening and Open House! AdamKuhn General Discussion 0 09-10-2010 07:22 PM
Auto Insurance Pay919 Automotive & Transportation 9 07-21-2010 02:23 PM
Prevent Laptop Theft kokosas Technology 26 07-05-2009 05:12 PM
New Theft Prevention Initiative Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-04-2008 09:12 AM

Just Cause 2 VS. Grand Theft Auto IV

Old 12-17-2010 at 10:12 AM   #1
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Just Cause 2 VS. Grand Theft Auto IV
Gonna buy a Playstation 3 and want to know which of these two games I should get.

I want full details with pros and cons, not just "get this" or "get that". Also, Grand Theft Auto IV has a bundle where I can get both episodes along with the game for 40 bucks or so.

DISCUSS!

INB4 everything

EDIT: I've calculated the prices, too.

PS3 - 300
JC2 - 40
GTA4 bundle - 40

I can get everything for 433.20 (including 14% tax)

Last edited by AdelaisAer : 12-17-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Pricing
Old 12-17-2010 at 10:26 AM   #2
Yakattack
Chatbot 2.0

Liked: 80 Times

JC2, its a giant action movie /thread

AdelaisAer says thanks to Yakattack for this post.

AdelaisAer likes this.
Old 12-17-2010 at 10:30 AM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I don't know ps3 games, haha.
Old 12-17-2010 at 10:32 AM   #4
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakattack View Post
JC2, its a giant action movie /thread
Fair enough.
Old 12-17-2010 at 10:34 AM   #5
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

I like GTA IV, but I've never played JC2.

AdelaisAer likes this.
Old 12-17-2010 at 10:37 AM   #6
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Screw it - I am buying everything!

BlakeM, siefer1322 like this.
Old 12-18-2010 at 12:16 AM   #7
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Just Cause 2 is a much more fun experience, but i have to say that its story is pretty mundane. GTA IV on the other hand has a pretty enthralling story, but the gameplay side of it is somewhat boring, so i guess the question is; what matters the most to your? Story or Action>?
Old 12-18-2010 at 12:22 AM   #8
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Gran Turismo 5. You can delete the thread and give macinsiders more server space now

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 12-18-2010 at 01:31 AM   #9
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Dude you should also consider God of War 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm88Blmlwjk

Old 12-18-2010 at 01:40 AM   #10
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolean View Post
Gran Turismo 5. You can delete the thread and give macinsiders more server space now
Yeah, cause we need more space for topics about where to get poutine on campus and people crying about how loud libraries are during exam period.

Good point bro.
Old 12-18-2010 at 01:45 AM   #11
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by siefer1322 View Post
Yeah, cause we need more space for topics about where to get poutine on campus and people crying about how loud libraries are during exam period.

Good point bro.
Seems to me people think my comment on deleting the thread was a serious one.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 12-18-2010 at 04:56 PM   #12
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Continuing the thread since it became "Hot" all of a sudden...

I am buying both games. However, just to discuss what I feel is important in a game...

Character Customization - To me, that is a must. There must be at least a somewhat-decent level of character customization. Can be a complete one, or a partial one. Just Cause 2 seems to be somewhat of an exception to this rule.

Non-linear Gameplay - I swear I DESPISE linear games. They piss me off. When I play a game, it better be at least somewhat non-linear. Otherwise, I will toss it out the window. Literally. And figuratively. But mostly literally.

Graphics, Sound, etc. - I am not very picky, but since we're in the 21st century, I do expect at least somewhat-decent graphics, sound effects, BGM/OSTs, etc. Luckily, most games I come across seem to fit this pretty well. Minecraft is an exception since it's that awesome. Don't start arguing about it, though. Please.

Openness - How open is the world? How free are you to do things within the game? Are you secluded to a specific trail/track/whatever, or do you have the ability to explore a vast world of some sort?

That's all I could come up with. To say the least, I think both GTA4 and JC2 fit these four criteria pretty well. JC2 may not have rich character customization, but it still seems to be pretty fun with all the vehicles and cool stuff you get to do in the game.

Your opinions?

EDIT: Brb, food. Feel free to keep contributing while I'm away.
Old 12-18-2010 at 05:19 PM   #13
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I play a game to be entertained, I don't care if its linear, as long as its story is good. If its a hack n' slash, then it absolutely has to be interesting story wise, or at least chalanging (aiming/reflexes).

The only types of games I care about customization is in lengthy RPGs or MMOs, otherwise its pointless.
Old 12-18-2010 at 05:34 PM   #14
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I play a game to be entertained, I don't care if its linear, as long as its story is good. If its a hack n' slash, then it absolutely has to be interesting story wise, or at least chalanging (aiming/reflexes).

The only types of games I care about customization is in lengthy RPGs or MMOs, otherwise its pointless.
I cannot be entertained by a game that's too linear - I love having the ability to make choices and have the adventure changed based on what I do. Or if I am playing an MMO, then at least I have several ways of approaching the final mission rather than doing the same thing everyone else does.

Hack'n'slashes are the same as above. Diablo 2 approaches this somewhat well. The game is pretty linear and the classes have fixed genders, but the customization is pretty vast and you end up having fun nonetheless. Recently, people kept spamming and hacking and stuff, so the game pretty much died for me. But yeah.

I believe character customization is important regardless of the game type. Unless it's a game that has no characters, like Guitar Hero or whatever.
Old 12-18-2010 at 07:18 PM   #15
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

I really don't mind if a story is linear if that means that the action is good, take, for example the Call of Duty games, of course the gam eis very linear, but that allows for amazing sequences of action simply because the story is so well guided.