MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM
New Theft Prevention Initiative Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-04-2008 09:12 AM

Prevent Laptop Theft

The Problem With Laptops
BY SABRINA BRADEY, MACINSIDERS

Laptops have all but replaced the old desktop computer because of their convenience. They are easy to carry, can be opened up and used at a moments notice and they’re usually light. The companies that manufacture them are constantly coming out with new models complete with all the bells and whistles that one could possibly hope for. Most university students use laptops every day and bring them with them all over campus, in short the laptop has become a vital part of our days.

Obviously, laptops have become a hot commodity. Unfortunately, when something becomes popular (iPods for instance) or a new model is brought out there is a rise in theft surrounding those items. There has even been a lot of discussion on MacInsiders about the issue. As many of you have probably noticed over the last school year there have been myriads of signs warning you to lock up your possessions, especially laptops. That is because the McMaster Community was the target for laptop theft and over 41 laptops were stolen from campus alone during the 07-08 year.

There are two main reasons why we have had so many laptop thefts on our campus and those are: a lack of vigilance on the part of the owner and locks that are not strong enough.

I can't tell you why there are people who will walk away from their laptops and leave them unlocked but there are many of them that do. I have been asked many times by strangers to watch their stuff while they go to the bathroom. I could pick up their laptop and walk away with it once they’re out of eyesight and what can they do? Sure they can file a report and give the police my description--medium build, Caucasian, brown hair, about 5”5--but how many people on campus fit that description? There is no way to identify that laptop as yours once it’s been reformatted and cleaned out. Even if you had a password on it there are ways to get around it if the thief is knowledgeable enough.

Many people have locks specially designed for laptops, but even these are not fault proof. Laptop locks plug into the side of your computer where a small slot as been made. The problem with this method of locking is that the laptop is made of plastic and the regular laptop locks can actually be ripped out of the side of the laptop. Granted that that reduces the laptops sell value it has still been done on this campus and many others.

In light of this McMaster Security has introduced the STOP lock to our community in an attempt to not only reduce the amount of stolen laptops but to deter thieves from even trying to take them. The STOP lock is essentially a steel plate that is chemically bonded to the top of your laptop and includes a steel cable wire that attaches to the plate, a barcode that when punched into the STOP lock database registers you as the owner of the laptop and a sticker that you may choose to put beside the steel plate but do not have to.

The steel plate itself has the barcode etched onto it and is smaller than your student card. The actual dimensions are 7cmX7cm. This plate, like I mentioned before, is chemically bonded to your laptop and requires 800lbs of pressure per square inch to remove it. If someone did manage to remove the plate there is an ink tattoo that cannot be sanded or removed on the plastic of the laptop that says STOLEN PROPERTY with a 1-800 number to call. The barcode on the top of the plate registers you, the owner/user, on an internationally used database with all of your contact information. If your laptop is lost or if it is stolen and then abandoned after the thief realizes that they cannot remove the plate the laptop can be returned to you because of that barcode. Only the police agencies of each city would have access to this information so you do not need to worry about your privacy. And if you decided to sell your laptop you can change the registration online (for free) to the new owner and add sell value to the laptop itself.

So now that I’ve ranted and raved about this you must be wondering how much such a device would cost you? The STOP locks are being sold at McMaster University for $40.00 CND, the same as your average laptop lock, and there is no other registration or administration fee. You can buy these locks from either COMPASS Information Desk or the vending machine in Mills Memorial Library on the second floor outside the Learning Commons room by the public washrooms.
Yes, Mills has a vending machine that sells locks and much, much more. If this is news to you don’t feel bad cause I only recently found out myself!
If you have any questions about STOP locks or laptop safety in the McMaster Community visit the Security Services web page about STOP locks here.

Remember to keep an eye on your laptops and all other belongings, don’t bring them to exams if you can avoid it instead you can print off your notes. You don’t need your iPods while waiting for the exam to start; you will survive without music. Ask yourself, if you lost that item today, would you be kicking yourself in the rear for bringing it and not paying attention to it? I bet you would.

april.lyn, hchan, MacEng, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to kokosas for this post.
Published by
MacInsiders Staff

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 05-29-2008 at 10:47 PM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization
Year: Other

Liked: 352 Times
I don't know if they're still doing this but I believe Thode is even including bars on the desks that you can attach and lock your laptop too in these renovation plans..
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 05-30-2008 at 11:54 AM   #3
DannyV
Elite Member
Program: Computer Engineering & Management
Year: Other

Liked: 207 Times
LOL I just checked out the product's site ( http://www.stoptheft.com/site/index.php ) and the video they have there is hilarious. Obviously they caught the world's worst laptop thief in action: those screwdrivers he tries to use are HUGE! And talk about the wrong pliers for the job!

In any case, I'm not sure how drawn the student populace will be to using these since a lot of people are more interested in what the laptop looks like *cough*APPLE-FAN-BOYS*cough*() rather than its performance (I worked at Staples, I know from experience).

They are a good idea, they're just made for a less superficial crowd.
Old 05-30-2008 at 01:09 PM   #4
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Year: Third
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
Danny you're totally right. Personally, I'd rather have a small plate on my laptop rather than no laptop at all but thats just my personal choice.

And Temara, you're right as well, they're slowly putting those bars into all of the school libraries, they have them on some of the desks in Mills as well.

Old 05-30-2008 at 05:24 PM   #5
Cubit
Program: Physics & Astronomy
Year: Fourth

Liked: 2 Times
That is one hardcore laptop lock

I'd still feel nervous leaving my laptop locked up somewhere and then going to pee. I think I'd rather just drag my backpack to the washroom, but maybe that's just me ^_^
Old 05-31-2008 at 04:31 AM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia
Year: Alumni

Liked: 1,731 Times
Great article Sabrina.

I think the idea is superb, and since it is so hard to remove it just may work. One potential small issue I see is that the metal plate isn't flat (there is a part in the middle that sticks up for the lock cable to click into). Which causes two issues: (a) the fact that it makes my slim laptop not so 'slim' anymore and (b) that if you have a really tight computer case like I do, the metal plate may cause it to not slide in so easily. However, that's being very picky. $40 is well worth it! For those people who like to leave their laptop in public areas while they go get a coffee (which I wouldn't recommend!) then this seems like the perfect system since you can sit the laptop down, pull out your cable, clip it into the library's security bar, and you're all set to leave it unattended.

However, I'm the type of person that never leaves my laptop unattended, it just feels weird leaving it out in the open since I have so many important things on it. If I have to go to the washroom while studying in the libary, I'll leave all my unworthy stuff behind to claim my spot (aka, a sweater, cheap textbook, notes/papers, etc) on the desk or cubicle, then put my laptop into hibernation mode, put it in my bag, then when I come back, open it up again and it will come out of hibernation back where I left off. Leaving it unattended... even if locked to the desk, would feel... weird to me.

I do however see a huge value in these for home use. Yes, I just thought about it when watching the video on their website. This would be perfect to secure a desktop computer, or... for example... an iMac to your desk and prevent theft. Sort of like a bike lock for your desktop PC in your room. If you're living off-campus or in residence, chance of theft of a really nice desktop system could be risky, so why not lock it down to your desk or to the wall just like all the computers in the libraries and labs are locked to an alarm? I just may try it

Once question I do have though... since you can buy these locks from the vending machine.. are they all identical? It looks like in the picture you get 2 keys to unlock your cable from your plate. Are these keys unique to your lock? If not, anyone who has also bought a lock can just unlock your lock. This would be a clear flaw, so they must be unique.
Old 05-31-2008 at 10:17 AM   #7
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Year: Third
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
That would be a bad flaw wouldn't it? The locks are barrel locks and each is unique.
A barrel lock is very difficult to be picked, I'm not even sure it's possible actually but I'm not willing to say that anything is 100% thief proof cause that seems to be like courting disaster.

Anyway, you're right in that they do take away from the aesthetics of your computer and that's a personal choice for the person involved but I'm not sure you'd have a problem with the raised part of the plate unless the case your talking about is the coloured plastic cases that I see everywhere on Macbooks? If that's the kind you're talking about then yes, I think you would have trouble with those. The middle of the plate is raised less than 1cm.

Something that I've heard about, but can't quite confirm without some research is that Mac's come with their own theft prevention tactics that sometimes include an alarm that is akin to a car alarm going off. From what I was told, one can lock their laptop and if someone tries to open it and turn it on without you turning that alarm off it will start screaming its theoretical head off.
Again, this is only hearsay and would need research to confirm.

And these STOP locks can be used for desktops like you mentioned, they come in various sizes, ones even small enough for an ipod if you so wish to have one for it.

Old 06-14-2009 at 08:53 PM   #8
daisy
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

Liked: 51 Times
I don't care about the aesthetics, but would the adhesive damage my laptop's shell?
Old 06-14-2009 at 09:00 PM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,731 Times
What do you mean by 'damage' exactly? It shouldn't cause the shell to crack or anything like that. However, because the glue on it is so hard to take off, once you've stuck it onto the casing of your laptop you won't want to try and take it off otherwise it may leave a residue.
Old 06-14-2009 at 09:05 PM   #10
daisy
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

Liked: 51 Times
Well, you know how you're not supposed to put stickers onto snowboard or bike helmets, unless they have been provided by the manufacturer? For the same reason -- it's my understanding that the adhesives can damage the material that they are adhered to (dad is a research physical chemist, and makes us pay attention to those directions on the safety sheets!).
Old 06-14-2009 at 09:11 PM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 1,656 Times
Uhh.. ya, I think I'd rather just take my laptop with me rather than sticking that stoopid looking metal plate on the back.

No offence to whoever designed this thing... but I think it could have been done a lot better. Obviously adding one of these things will reduce the value of your computer, contrary to what the article says. Also, as to the part that the mark it leaves cannot be sanded off, how can they guarentee that? The manufacturers of these locks have no idea what the back surface of my computer is made out of. The back of the dell, as shown in the picture, is a lot different from say - an aluminium MacBook. How do I even know it will stick on or withstand at least 800 Lb of pressure?

People need to learn that a laptop isn't that heavy (especially in a backpack) and features something called "sleep mode", which means you can close it and carry it around with you without losing your place in your work!

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 06-14-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2009 at 10:38 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
I wouldn't put something on my laptop either. But surely there should be a solution which you can use to remove the glue. Although that would be counterproductive to the point of the product.

But Ownaginatios is right, you can easily make your laptop sleep or hibernate when you close it and just carry it around in your backpack.
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:49 AM   #13
Afzal
Android Dev
Program: Computer Science
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 416 Times
something tells me there are most stolen laptops in Richmond, VA that in any other part of the Americas

http://www.stoptheft.com/site/recoveries.php
lol

i would actually like this on my laptop, only if it also had an integrated tracker (lojack)...then it would be complete
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:59 AM   #14
PTGregD
Elite Member
Program: Commerce

Liked: 349 Times
LoJack (Boomerang in Canada), is expensive. :(
Old 07-05-2009 at 03:56 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
It sounds awesome.. Regardless of the fact that it's stuck on your computer.. But as mentionned, better with a plate on it.. then no laptop at all.. But it all goes back to the fact that no one should leave their laptop.. or any valuables for that matter.. unattended in libraries/public

Article Tools