MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get my exam mark? peace Academics 5 12-24-2011 10:24 AM
If my final mark is... Mac12 Academics 15 04-22-2011 04:31 PM
Would my exam mark be zero if the medical document didn't get approved? : ( Frank Ocean Academics 32 04-12-2011 04:04 PM
<font color="#3C69AE">Deferred Exam Mark Release</font> jimmyjones Academics 11 07-08-2010 11:00 AM

How to keep your mark in a course the same after an exam?

Old 12-31-2012 at 11:06 AM   #1
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

How to keep your mark in a course the same after an exam?
So I want to ask you guys a question ... how do you keep your mark in the course the same after writing an exam? I've had my fair share of exams and I can never manage to keep my mark the same. I always drop 1 or 2 points and it's frustrating sometimes when I know I've worked hard all semester.

What do you guys do that maybe I'm missing? Do you guys have any techniques that you use when studying throughout the semester that enable you to perform well on the exam and get that 11 or 12 you had going into the exam with? I've lost so many 12s to exams .. maybe the stress or the pressure gets to me . .or maybe there's something else during the semester i'm not doing right like constantly reviewing?

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-31-2012 at 11:12 AM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbaby07 View Post
So I want to ask you guys a question ... how do you keep your mark in the course the same after writing an exam? I've had my fair share of exams and I can never manage to keep my mark the same. I always drop 1 or 2 points and it's frustrating sometimes when I know I've worked hard all semester.

What do you guys do that maybe I'm missing? Do you guys have any techniques that you use when studying throughout the semester that enable you to perform well on the exam and get that 11 or 12 you had going into the exam with? I've lost so many 12s to exams .. maybe the stress or the pressure gets to me . .or maybe there's something else during the semester i'm not doing right like constantly reviewing?

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated!
I don't do anything different really. If anything, my exams typically help boost my mark usually by a little. Perhaps it just has to do with the courses I'm limited/limiting myself to take, or it has to do with the way I take in information..I'm not too sure. I have a very good friend of mine who usually only does get 12s, so I do a substantial amount of my studying in our shared courses with him. Mind you, the courses I don't share with him, I also manage to get good marks in them as well. I take note of where my weak points are/were during the course of the term, and I mainly focus on those sections first depending on the breakdown of the exam if given to us..or if we know what sections will be heavily tested or not.
Old 12-31-2012 at 11:33 AM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I can't quite explain why, but I feel like the wrong attitude is being had here. I'll try to communicate why below:

You should get the mark you deserve in a course. Throughout the year, if you're individual assignments are well done, because you take the course piece-by-piece, and you understand the components on their own, then you go into the exam thinking you have/deserve a 12 in the course...

But the exam goes back and tests you to see if you know the key components all at once, or possibly combined in a grab-bag of questions. If you truly understand it ALL, then you deserve a 12, and you will get 90% or more on the exam, maintaining the 12. If you don't understand it all at once/don't have it all memorized for that one last examination of your knowledge, then you get less than 90%, and your mark stands to fall...

That is it. Tips & Tricks? It's the obvious stuff: You can either learn EVERYTHING so there are no surprises, if you're capable of that; or you can carefully learn the key components and figure out the rest on an exam. I prefer the latter, since my program allows me to learn the fundamental theories, and to work through the rest from there.
Old 12-31-2012 at 11:56 AM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

It is easy going into an exam with a 12 due to easy marks from assignments/labs. The only true "test" is the midterm, which if you study enough, should pull a decent mark.

The exam covers a lot of material and most students do not focus on all required concepts to get a high mark on the exam, thus the drop in your final grade...
Old 12-31-2012 at 01:13 PM   #5
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

This ALWAYS happens to me.
Have a 12.
Write exam.
Have a 10.
Joys.

macbaby07 likes this.
Old 12-31-2012 at 01:46 PM   #6
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

In some courses it's very hard to keep the same mark after the exam. It seems that no matter what i do, i will always drop after the exam. For other courses, it's not as bad and you can keep the same mark provided you work very hard.

In general, try your best before the exam, you never know what will happen afterwards. I always try my best throughout the term because i don't really know what will happen to my mark after the exam.
This message has been removed by a moderator. .