MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
John Jell and Scott Moros, A Free Keynote for Students! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 08-03-2008 04:13 PM

keynote?

Old 08-26-2011 at 09:15 PM   #1
T-Shawn

Liked: 0 Times

keynote?
Hey guys, I just got a mac and with the student discount I got $100 to spend on the app store. I was wondering if keynote or numbers would be worth if for engineering? I heard about notebook and heard it would be helpful.
Old 08-27-2011 at 01:12 PM   #2
thatdudeukno

Keynote = OSX Powerpoint
Numbers = OSX Excel

Both pieces of software could be useful in engineering. I personally use Microsoft Office 2011 instead, just because I'm more familiar with the interface. I don't think the MS suite is on the App Store though. If I were you I would spend the $100 on multiple cheap apps.
Old 08-27-2011 at 01:27 PM   #3
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

I would buy Keynote, it kicks PowerPoints ass for presentations.

But numbers is not great at all, your better off using excel
Old 08-27-2011 at 01:45 PM   #4
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Keynote is good, except usually when you have presentations you do group work... Unless you want to do everything yourself, most other people in your group will probably have powerpoint.

I don't know how cross compatible the two are. I have keynote but don't use it so.
Old 08-27-2011 at 03:03 PM   #5
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Keynote beats Powerpoint by a mile.
Excel is better than Numbers.
Pages is better than Word for a publishing, layout view, to make professionally designed documents (yes, even Word 2011's publishing option). For essays and normal write-ups, Word is better.

Compatibility between the two is awful. When importing Office files, the layout and formatting may be messed up in iWork. And you can't work natively with them, you have to import and export.
Old 08-27-2011 at 04:33 PM   #6
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

I find it awful how you guys say that Keynote is better than Powerpoint but you don't give specific examples.
Old 08-27-2011 at 09:30 PM   #7
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Look on youtube? Ever seen Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth? Or any of the Apple keynote presentations?
Old 08-28-2011 at 03:30 PM   #8
T-Shawn

Liked: 0 Times

ok thanks guys, so ill prob get keynote and forget about numbers. But what do you guys think about notebook?
Old 08-28-2011 at 07:44 PM   #9
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

I never use iWork and I've used macs since it used to be called claris works. Keep in mind Office is the standard and if you're sharing documents with others or getting stuff from the course website it will probably be in Office format. However, if you're really into doing presentations and like what Keynote has to offer compared to PP than go ahead and buy it, just keep in mind Office is the standard.