Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
90%90%90%
Average 88%
Kin 3S03

This course covers a range of mind-body practices that people use for healing. It is based on the concept that the body is intelligent, and has the capacity to heal itself. Taught by the same prof as Body Mind Spirit (3SS3), and although you may have to work a little harder, it is still quite easy to get a good grade in this class.

We covered topics such as autogenic training, progressive muscle relaxation, Tragger method, the Alexander technique, and Feldenkrais method. There was a lecture component where we learned the theory and background info on the methods and the people who created them, and there was also a practical component, where we had the chance to learn and try out the techniques on each other in the gym. If you've ever happened to see a herd of students with yoga mats walking through the student centre, that was definitely 3S03 en route to practical!

Course outline can be found here: http://www.mcmaster.ca/kinesiology/e...outline_09.pdf

There was one quiz (quite easy, as long as you can recall things from lecture), and a test on movement analysis, which is learned and practiced in practicals. The test, I found to be a little more challenging, because it involved more thinking about how to classify everyday movements, however most people did well.

For the group presentation worth 30%, the prof is all about creativity. He specifically asks for a creative component in the presentation, and most students get really into it, with a skit, costumes, dance, or a song. The presentation involved creating a treatment plan for the type of patient you were assigned, taking into account their illness, age, and ethnicity (e.g. my group had a teenage female from Central/South America with a non-physical illness). We were expected to take what we had learned and also not learned in the course to create the best method, and also to develop a treatment of our own. All the presentations were very impressive and received good marks.

The Professional Attitude grade is basically how you present yourself and approach the tasks in practicals. Everybody received between a 7 and 9 out of 10 in this area.

The exam is worth 40%, and is 3 written essay-type questions (unlike 3SS3, this is not a take-home exam). They do not have to be particularly long, because not all of them require lengthy essay answers. You are given a choice out of about 7 questions, that are something like this:

2. A or B
4. A or B

Question 1 was mandatory and had to do with summarizing 4 of the articles that he had assigned in the readings throughout the course. (2 long and 2 short). There were 8 article titles listed to choose from; 4 for each category. HE WILL ALWAYS GIVE THIS EXAM QUESTION. The articles change, but this question is there each year.
Then I had to pick two other questions of my choice (e.g. 2B and 5). Some were just short answer on descriptions of methods, and others were more elaborate, such as discussing somatics and how it is considered holistic. (HINT: He likes references to personal experiences.)

Overall, it was a pretty interesting course, and especially great if you are looking to go into that type of field with hands-on healing, etc. The prof is very passionate about what he does and what he teaches.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me!

Desiree

enigmatique, nuttynatz all say thanks to Desiree for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Kin 3S03!

Old 06-01-2011 at 11:29 AM   #2
jenn_y

Liked: 0 Times
Has anyone taken this course with Singh?
Old 12-19-2011 at 02:19 PM   #3
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times
Did you take it with Wilson, DC?
Old 01-02-2012 at 02:47 PM   #4
sambhuvan

I'm enrolled in this class but conflicts with another course of mine. If I skipped one day of it, would you say it makes a difference on how well i do?

Old 06-02-2012 at 05:21 PM   #5
uppalss

Anybody have an updated review for this course?
Old 07-08-2013 at 03:32 AM   #6
danielw

Took this last year with Professor Wilson.

If you want to do well participate, answer questions on the readings and don't be afraid to embarass yourself a bit during presentations

Prof is very nice. The only assessments were 2 quizzes, a practical exam, a presentation and the final. The only thing difficult in this course were the quizzes. The first one you had to memorize facts about all of the pioneers of somatics. My advice is to spend as much time as you can memorizing every detail, it was surprisingly harder than I expected. Average was probably in the 70s but easy to get 90+ if you study expecting how hard it will be. This quiz was by far the only thing hard about this course.

2nd quiz was easier, laban movement analysis. You had to memorize some symbols and structures and a system for movement patterns, much less memorizing just had to apply some concepts most people did well on this.

Practical exam was very easy, he barely even looks at what you do and we got to pick the techniques we displayed instead of being randomly asked to demonstrate one like we originally were told to expect.

The presentation - you were assigned male / female, child / teen / elderly, and a continent. So I got female, teenage, south america. then you do a presentation about a problem there (I chose anorexia) and then describe holistic health techniques and cultural techniques to help people deal with medical conditions. We went all out and embarassed ourselves with a dance, skit, etc. He loves when you dance or do creative things in the presentation. Did well on this.
WARNING: when he says 12 minutes, he means 12 minutes. going over is detrimental. practice and get the timing to within a few seconds of 12 minutes, if you are over you WILL lose marks and if you are more than 30 seconds under you WILL lose marks.

Similarly to 3SS3 he gives you the exam... its up to you to prepare. Very fair course, easy to get a good mark if you participate often in class and do the readings which people did not seem to do often... he will appreciate participation greatly.

Last edited by danielw : 07-08-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-02-2014 at 01:39 AM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Do you guys have any tips for the final exam? I'm a little worried about it and have NO idea what he's expecting, so a little insight from your experiences would be great!
Old 08-09-2014 at 01:59 PM   #8
Tavia12

I don't understand why people would call this a bird course. Did it just get harder this year? My prof was Dr. Wilson.

Breakdown
Quiz- 10%
Movement Analysis- 15%
Group Presentation- 25%
Reflection Paper- 10%
Exam- 40%

The content was very dry in my opinion. For instance, in the first quiz, we got tested on facts about people: their education, where they went to school, background etc. The group presentation also took a lot of work, and it wasn't marked easily. Also make sure you hit the time limit on the dot. You'll lose marks for being mere seconds over or below. He also deducts marks for being late or missing class.

I really regret taking this course; there's tons of other bird courses out there
Old 09-04-2014 at 05:35 PM   #9
Drake

its a really fair and easy course. I've taken kin 3ss3, 3vo3... this course and kin 3ss3 are really easy! easy 10+

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search