Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
50%50%50%
Easiness
90%90%90%
Average 78%
Kin 3Y03

This course focuses on how the body metabolizes food and the guidelines of healthy nutrition. Basically this course is identical to kin 1F03 with just one extra chapter covered in the textbook. That's right, both courses use the same textbook. And according to my contacts in first year, the exams were identical. Which is strange, because if you've taken kin 1F03 in first year, and then kin 3Y03 in third year, it's like taking the same course twice. But I'm sure you'll have forgotten most of the stuff by then.

The course material is very very simple. It's just the breakdown of carbohydrates, amino acids and lipids. It's all basically covered in grade 12 biology, and then in most courses throughout university in bio and kin. There is a culminating assignment, where you need to plug into a program, what you ate for three days. Then decide how you'd change it to be in the healthy range of the nutrients. It's extremely easy, and just seems like the only purpose of it was to kill trees. Mine was around 75 pages.

The professor is very cool and the girls in the class even had crushes on him. He makes a lot of jokes, most of which are really funny. Some guy quietly asked him in class about benefits of marijuana. The professor was like "What's that? You want marijuana? MARIJUAAAAAANAAA" Ok, so that's not exactly how it went down, but it got the class laughing. However, he put a really tricky dumb question on the midterm (worth 3/30 marks), and so after that a lot of students began to dislike him. Also, the textbook is horribly expensive!

Overall an easy, good course to take. Not too interesting though. You can get in if you're in kin, or if you have taken Kin 1y03/1yy3. However, students in the latter group only have assigned 25 spots in the class out of >100.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Kin 3Y03!

Old 06-15-2009 at 10:05 PM   #2
jade177

Liked: 8 Times
This may be just me, but I don't understand the point of this course. I'm going into second year kin, and I did enjoy Kin 1F03. However, the project is the same. The textbook is the same. The prof is the same, and the tests both have the impossibly difficult questions. I know that when I went to view my first midterm, the 3Y03 students were there as well viewing their midterms, and I noticed several identical questions on their midterm to those on mine. It just seems like a waste to me.
Old 06-16-2009 at 12:00 AM   #3
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times
Which is why it should be an easy elective for you and why it upset all of us who never had 1F03 beforehand.
Old 06-16-2009 at 12:20 AM   #4
kumquat

Liked: Liked 14 Times
This is a great review mitch, just a couple of questions: how much more difficult is the course for those who didn't take KIN 1F03? and how hard was the exam?

Old 06-16-2009 at 12:26 AM   #5
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times
Actually it was quite easy for everyone and none of us took 1F03 because it wasn't created yet. It's a bit dry at times, and some of the questions on the tests were a bit tricky, but no more difficult than anything you're used to already. I would say it's an easy 10, if not 11.
Old 01-02-2010 at 12:14 PM   #6
alicia11

Liked: 0 Times
Dr. Philips was not the prof for the 2009 class, instead it was Dr. Devries and i give her credit because she was like 7 months pregnant, but... that being said... this course sucked big time, especially as a night class.
A lot of the stuff wasn't even nutrition related... there were sooo many studies shown and so many graphs on the slides.. it's the exact opposite of what students enjoy learning. And there was sooo much to study for the final.. it was cumulative and pretty detailed.
So, maybe it's better with Dr. Philips b/c he was awesome in first year butt,, i wouldn't recommend it
Old 06-14-2010 at 12:39 PM   #7
maryam17

Liked: 2 Times
im taking this course this year (im going into 3rd year kin), I have taken KIN 1F03 before but does anyone know if they are going to change the course this year since we pretty much took it in first year? thanks
Old 06-14-2010 at 03:11 PM   #8
deone

So true. The course is very different from when phillips taught it, it was much harder especially for those with no experience with kin courses, definitely not at all like expected and unfortunately phillips isnt teaching again this year.

Last edited by deone : 06-14-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-08-2010 at 09:16 PM   #9
kirbyking

anybody know who will be teaching this course 2010-11?
Old 07-09-2010 at 08:42 AM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyking View Post
anybody know who will be teaching this course 2010-11?
If it doesn't say in the master timetable then call the department and ask them if anyone has been assigned yet.
Old 04-10-2011 at 10:56 PM   #11
Steady

Does anyone know how this course compares to Biochem 3N03, Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism?
Old 06-02-2011 at 04:28 PM   #12
rhenam

Course as of 2011
Does anyone have an opinion or insight on Alexis Williams, the new instructor for this course? I heard that she taught the winter term this previous year.
Old 06-04-2011 at 06:47 AM   #13
science4ever

Liked: 2 Times
Phillips is assigned to teach the course this year It should be good!
Old 12-27-2013 at 01:35 AM   #14
raptorboi

Liked: 6 Times
Phillips isn't as good as if you have him for first year nutrition
Old 08-09-2014 at 01:44 PM   #15
Tavia12

I took this course w/ Pincivero.

midterm 1- 25%
midterm 2- 25%
assignment- 20%
final exam- 30%

He recorded all the lectures so attending class was not necessary. Content was easy to understand and lecture slides were organized. If I had to complain about one thing though, it would be the assignment. It took a lot longer & more work than I expected.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search