MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social psych or Psych, neuro and behaviour for developmental psychology? TF07 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 04-18-2013 09:00 AM
Course Reviews for Dr. Day Psych Courses please (Psych 3AB3/3BA3/3CB3) jjae0958 Academics 21 06-08-2012 08:04 AM
anyone planning on dropping life sci 2h03, psych 2ap3, or psych 2c03 second semester? macbaby07 Academics 2 07-12-2010 05:32 PM
do i need psych 1x03 AND psych 1xs3 for honours life science brendanp Academics 6 07-28-2009 02:38 PM

Kin vs. Psych

Old 05-30-2013 at 11:34 AM   #1
banana93

Liked: 11 Times

Kin vs. Psych
What would you say about the difficulty of 1st year Psych as compared to 1st year Kin. I only took Kin Y03 & YY3. I found the material to be relatively easy and the weekly tests were fine although it was a bit time consuming to study for them every week. I didn't do great on the Exams and that lowered my grade significantly. Any comments on Psych?

Last edited by banana93 : 05-30-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-30-2013 at 11:44 AM   #2
biochem92

Liked: 0 Times

I've taken both Psych 1X03/1XX3 and Kin 1Y03/1YY3. Most people I know found psych to be harder than kin, including myself. For me it was mostly the weekly quizzes; they were more difficult than the weekly kin tests. They're definitely doable though, you'll just need to spend a little more time studying for them. The psych exam was fairly easy, most people found it to be easier than the weekly quizzes. I think the average for the exam was relatively high as well.

For me, psych 1X03 was a little boring. The content was sorta dry and abstract. It covered this like learning, memory, language, etc. Psych 1XX3 was awesome though, and there was some overlap with the kin courses. A large part of the course was on the structure & function of the brain, vision, hearing and taste. There's also a unit on development and evolution if I remember correctly.

Overall, psych was a little harder than kin and not as straightforward (especially 1X03). The quizzes are more difficult than the kin tests, but you should be able to do fine if you work hard.

banana93 says thanks to biochem92 for this post.
Old 05-30-2013 at 12:22 PM   #3
banana93

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochem92 View Post
I've taken both Psych 1X03/1XX3 and Kin 1Y03/1YY3. Most people I know found psych to be harder than kin, including myself. For me it was mostly the weekly quizzes; they were more difficult than the weekly kin tests. They're definitely doable though, you'll just need to spend a little more time studying for them. The psych exam was fairly easy, most people found it to be easier than the weekly quizzes. I think the average for the exam was relatively high as well.

For me, psych 1X03 was a little boring. The content was sorta dry and abstract. It covered this like learning, memory, language, etc. Psych 1XX3 was awesome though, and there was some overlap with the kin courses. A large part of the course was on the structure & function of the brain, vision, hearing and taste. There's also a unit on development and evolution if I remember correctly.

Overall, psych was a little harder than kin and not as straightforward (especially 1X03). The quizzes are more difficult than the kin tests, but you should be able to do fine if you work hard.
Thanks for the commnet. Is there any way I could prepare for this over the summer, is there any way of viewing the online lectures still? or any online testbanks I could practice over the summer.
Old 05-30-2013 at 12:36 PM   #4
banana93

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana93 View Post
Thanks for the commnet. Is there any way I could prepare for this over the summer, is there any way of viewing the online lectures still? or any online testbanks I could practice over the summer.
post deleted

Last edited by banana93 : 05-30-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2013 at 02:35 PM   #5
ChrisKam

Liked: 3 Times

I found KIN to be harder, as there was much more material. Tests for psych were tough in the sense that you are required to know the material beforehand. Make good notes for yourself throughout the year, and you should breeze through each of the exams with a good two solid days of studying. Make sure to reuse the tests afterwards on Avenue, as a lot of the questions in the exam are identical, but more straightforward.
Old 05-30-2013 at 03:10 PM   #6
banana93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKam View Post
I found KIN to be harder, as there was much more material. Tests for psych were tough in the sense that you are required to know the material beforehand. Make good notes for yourself throughout the year, and you should breeze through each of the exams with a good two solid days of studying. Make sure to reuse the tests afterwards on Avenue, as a lot of the questions in the exam are identical, but more straightforward.
Thanks for the opinion. People are telling me that Psych weekly tests are so tricky and ambiguous in the sense you don't even understand the questions....any comment on this?
Old 05-30-2013 at 04:33 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKam View Post
As opposed to what, learning the material during the test? I don't understand how being required to know the material prior to a test makes a course difficult.

I'd characterize all four courses as having a similar level of difficulty. It depends on the person, tho. I had no trouble at all understanding the questions in psych, so I did quite well (12 in 1X03 and 11 in 1XX3). I have much more trouble with memorizing, so I got 10 in both kins, but that's just because I don't have the greatest memory, not because the material is more challenging. The courses aren't any more work either, they've both got pretty light workloads.
Old 06-03-2013 at 12:22 PM   #8
ChrisKam

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
As opposed to what, learning the material during the test? I don't understand how being required to know the material prior to a test makes a course difficult.

I'd characterize all four courses as having a similar level of difficulty. It depends on the person, tho. I had no trouble at all understanding the questions in psych, so I did quite well (12 in 1X03 and 11 in 1XX3). I have much more trouble with memorizing, so I got 10 in both kins, but that's just because I don't have the greatest memory, not because the material is more challenging. The courses aren't any more work either, they've both got pretty light workloads.

Well, most people just watch the modules, write notes, and expect to do the test with the notes at their side. You need to have a good understanding of the material beforehand.
Old 06-03-2013 at 12:25 PM   #9
ChrisKam

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana93 View Post
Thanks for the opinion. People are telling me that Psych weekly tests are so tricky and ambiguous in the sense you don't even understand the questions....any comment on this?
I can't really remember many questions that I got stuck on for "misunderstanding ." The tests are tricky in the sense that most answers seem right but have one word/detail that makes it false.