MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science II Couses dram Academics 2 06-11-2011 08:19 PM
Psych 2AP3- review? neila.b Academics 13 12-22-2010 09:59 PM
Psych 1X03 Review Thread SilentWalker Academics 15 10-28-2010 06:50 PM
Psych 2H03 and 2N03 review feonateresa Academics 4 07-22-2010 07:56 PM
Need a course review for Psych 3F03 amita_24 Academics 2 05-12-2010 01:08 PM

Course Reviews for Dr. Day Psych Courses please (Psych 3AB3/3BA3/3CB3)

Old 05-18-2012 at 11:56 PM   #1
jjae0958

Liked: 1 Time

Course Reviews for Dr. Day Psych Courses please (Psych 3AB3/3BA3/3CB3)
I am interested in course reviews for:

Psych 3AB3: Adolescent Psychology
Psych 3BA3: Positive Psychology
Psych 3CB3: Attitudes and Beliefs

All of which are taught by Dr Day.
Thank you!
Old 05-19-2012 at 07:32 AM   #2
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Most should be the same as his other courses. (Though I'm not 100% sure).

Which means 2x30% midterms, 1x40% exam.

Usually there is a text, a handbook, lecture recordings, and often (but I'm not sure about psych 3BA3), a question bank.
Old 05-19-2012 at 10:39 AM   #3
jjae0958

I realize that structurally, these courses are very similar. But I'd appreciate comments on how interesting the course content is, and how challenging/difficult these respective courses are relative to some other courses (for example, compared to first year general chemy or second year Personality)

Granted, all inputs will be subjective, but it's something I'd still like to bear in mind as I make my decision
Old 05-19-2012 at 10:44 AM   #4
sonamp

Liked: 0 Times

Definitely take 3BA3, its a very enlightening course. 3AB3 is good as well, but not as enjoyable. I haven't taken Attitudes and Beliefs yet.

In terms of difficulty, neither are difficult as long as you put in the work. Know the courseware and assigned readings well and youll be fine, as it is for all of Dr.Day's courses.

jjae0958 says thanks to sonamp for this post.
Old 05-19-2012 at 10:50 AM   #5
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I've taken Personality with Dr. Day and I'm considering Abnormal Psychology as well, but I've heard that it was much more difficult than his other courses. Is it mainly because of the statistics that are involved?
Old 05-19-2012 at 10:52 AM   #6
sonamp

I didnt think it was more difficult... practicing the sample questions are key in Dr.Day courses. So regardless of how many statistics are involved, you will know exactly which statistics to expect if you practice and he also tells you which you will have to know.
Old 05-19-2012 at 11:01 AM   #7
jjae0958

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonamp View Post
Definitely take 3BA3, its a very enlightening course. 3AB3 is good as well, but not as enjoyable. I haven't taken Attitudes and Beliefs yet.

In terms of difficulty, neither are difficult as long as you put in the work. Know the courseware and assigned readings well and youll be fine, as it is for all of Dr.Day's courses.
How would you compare difficulty of 3BA3 & 3AB3 to 2B03 (Personality)?
Old 05-19-2012 at 11:07 AM   #8
sonamp

I thought they were all about the same. Some may have had more content than others, but it was just a matter of memorizing it. The content in 3BA3 was most interesting so it was easier to memorize, but I didn't find any of them harder than the other.
Old 05-19-2012 at 11:14 AM   #9
jjae0958

Quote:
I thought they were all about the same. Some may have had more content than others, but it was just a matter of memorizing it. The content in 3BA3 was most interesting so it was easier to memorize, but I didn't find any of them harder than the other.
Thank you!
When you say, "some of them may have had more content than others", which one do you feel had the most amount of content to study (among Psych 2B03, 3AB3 & 3BA3)

Hopefully this is the last time I pester you regarding this subject matter.
Old 05-19-2012 at 12:44 PM   #10
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
I've taken Personality with Dr. Day and I'm considering Abnormal Psychology as well, but I've heard that it was much more difficult than his other courses. Is it mainly because of the statistics that are involved?
My friend was taking personality at the same time as abnormal and she said while the structure was very similar the reason abnormal was harder for her was because the readings for that class were brutal. I took abnormal but not personality and it's true the readings were so long and he tested the most specific details from the textbook readings. When answering the textbook questions on the midterms I wouldn't even think back to the readings (which I did do) I would just answer the questions logically. Out of like 30 MC questions like 6-7 were textbook reading questions.
Old 05-19-2012 at 12:45 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
I didnt think it was more difficult... practicing the sample questions are key in Dr.Day courses. So regardless of how many statistics are involved, you will know exactly which statistics to expect if you practice and he also tells you which you will have to know.
I disagree...when I took abnormal psych with him, he'd be like "these statistics in studies a,b,c are completely inaccurate because of whatever and the actual numbers are likely way different." Then on the midterm, one of the questions was "what percent of people have whatever disorder X, according to study c?" He spent forever telling us that the stat was irrelevant and inaccurate and then tested us on it.

He also had a tendency to ask which of the following was discussed IN CLASS, but multiple answers would be factually correct. I found this difficult because I don't differentiate where I learned something, I just know whatever fact it is...so if I learned something elsewhere, I would end up getting confused.

Even though I'm interested in a lot of the courses he teaches, I will never take another one with him, solely because of his testing style.
Old 05-19-2012 at 12:49 PM   #12
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
He also had a tendency to ask which of the following was discussed IN CLASS, but multiple answers would be factually correct. I found this difficult because I don't differentiate where I learned something, I just know whatever fact it is...so if I learned something elsewhere, I would end up getting confused.
YES! This was such a problem for me on the first midterm. I'd be like I know this is plausible but I don't remember hearing it in class so then I'd put it as the right answer and it was wrong! So then for the second midterm if I didn't remember hearing about it, I wouldn't choose it. One thing I did like on the midterms were the guest lecturer questions. I found those easy because the guest lecturers were pretty interesting so I feel like I was more likely to remember what they said.
Old 05-22-2012 at 12:19 AM   #13
kristina

Liked: 3 Times

honestly, i took personality and abnormal and i found abnormal much easier because i also found it a lot more interesting, and because i knew his testing style from when i took personality. if you buy the custom courseware and go by that you will honestly be fine. i thought his testing was fair, especially with the question bank he provides (although i wouldn't use that solely as a studying tool, but rather a way to see if you understand what you've already studied).

jjae0958 says thanks to kristina for this post.
Old 05-22-2012 at 06:18 PM   #14
MaisliR

I have taken all these courses. Positive pysch was by far the easiest in terms of readings and actual content. Attitudes and beliefs had more content but was quite interesting ( in my opinion). If it makes a difference the average on the midterms and final in bot courses were 74 %. Social psych and personnality are pre- requsites for these courses.

jjae0958 says thanks to MaisliR for this post.

jjae0958 likes this.
Old 05-22-2012 at 06:37 PM   #15
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

Attitudes was pretty interesting and not that hard at all. I've done personality, abnormal and attitudes and got the same grade in all 3 so honestly as long as you use the resources he gives you, you'll be fine. Abnormal's just slightly harder than the others because the textbook readings are horrible, there's too much to read and the questions are too specific, kinda impossible to do well on those. In attitudes though, the textbook is way shorter and easier to understand so the textbook questions on the tests are pretty easy. As long as you can study well for Day's courses, you can easily pull of a good grade in it, especially if you enjoyed the attitudes part of social psychology