MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PSYCH 2AP3 (ABNORMAL PSYCH) Midterm 1 -what did you think?? demelo_b Academics 18 10-17-2010 04:47 PM
Switching Psych 2AA3 for Psych 2AP3 TLulu Academics 0 08-23-2010 11:34 AM
Course exchange: Psych 2H03 for Psych 2AP3 SashDoods Academics 0 08-13-2010 12:59 PM
compare psych 2ap3 and psych 2h03 nadia1 Academics 0 07-26-2010 06:05 PM
anyone planning on dropping life sci 2h03, psych 2ap3, or psych 2c03 second semester? macbaby07 Academics 2 07-12-2010 05:32 PM

Psych 2AP3- review?

Old 12-20-2010 at 01:25 PM   #1
neila.b

Liked: 13 Times

Psych 2AP3- review?
Hey guys,

Can anyone who took this course this past semester let me know what you thought of it? I'm currently registered in it and it sounds interesting, but I also need to do very well next semester.

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2010 at 01:44 PM   #2
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by neila.b View Post
Hey guys,

Can anyone who took this course this past semester let me know what you thought of it? I'm currently registered in it and it sounds interesting, but I also need to do very well next semester.

Thanks!
I'm on the same boat.

From what I know, Dr. Dick Day is a great prof but gives quite challenging tests.

Interested in hearing opinions of who took it this semester.

Last edited by siefer1322 : 12-20-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2010 at 02:07 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by neila.b View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks!
From what I've heard from friends in the course, it's reaaallly interesting, but you need to do readings regularly and stay on top of material, you can do well - if you put in enough effort for tests and such. As mentioned above, Dr. Day's 'style' of testing style and such. IIf you're looking for an easy-ish elective with a little reading I don't think this is the right one :/
Old 12-20-2010 at 03:04 PM   #4
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

I'd say it's a pretty easy 10 if you're good at memorizing. He has a bank of sample questions on his course webpage, and the tests are either exactly like or very similar to them. That being said, you have to do those questions over and over again. What I liked to do was after he finished a unit, I would do all of the sample questions in that unit (id usually go through 15 sets of 10..you tend to get a lot of repeats once you reach 100 questions but even then you'll get the odd new question or two). What I found most challenging was the questions from the readings. They're very specific, and often taken from tidbits you'd think wasn't that relevant. The course ware is also a HUGE help, it has everything he says in lecture, so you don't have to take notes. I just ended up making summaries for each unit based on the course ware. And yes, the material is very interesting, and Dr. Day is a great lecturer. feel free to pm me if u have any other questions
Old 12-20-2010 at 03:58 PM   #5
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

I think anyone who has ever taken a course with Dr. Day would tell you that the readings are the hardest part of the course because all the rest of the questions come from the test question database. Now, this used to be a 3rd year course, the fact that its now a 2nd year course means that it would be slightly easier as courses have certain restrictions and guidelines that they must pass in order to make them at a certain level (1st, 2nd 3rd etc). In any case, if you can keep up with the readings (3-4 chapters per midterm) then take the course and you'll likely pull of a 10+. The exam readings are always non-cumulative also, so only new stuff is covered on the final, but course material is cumulative for the exam but not midterms.

crazyfree, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to SciMania for this post.
Old 12-20-2010 at 04:10 PM   #6
Jessicaaaa

Liked: 42 Times

I have taken a lot of Dick Day courses, and i just took 2AP3 this past semester.
if you havent taken his classes before, MAKE SURE TO BUY THE HANDBOOK. i cannot emphasize that enough. Bring that to class with you and just highlight and jot down extra points he may say. For the tests, allow yourself A LOT of time to study. this is not a class where you can just study a day or so before. You REALLY need to understand the material as well as memorize it if you are going to do well.
it was a very interesting class, however there were a lot of percentages that you need to know, as they are tested on. Also, after you have studied a chapter, do the quiz questions OVER AND OVER and read them very carefully because often he will change one or two words, which changes the answer altogether.
This is a class, as mentioned above, that you can easily get a 10 in, IF you are willing to put in the work. You have to do the text readings for the first 2 midterms (as the midterms are only out of 40 questions and 8 questions are usually from the text) for the final exam, it is cumulative, and only 8 questions come from the text out of 80, so its not so crucial that you know the text (if you dont have time to do it).
But im sure everyone feels differently about this course based on their own strengths and weaknesses when it comes to material/memorization/study habits.

hope that helped
Old 12-20-2010 at 05:07 PM   #7
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

I posted my 2AP3 review last week, go check it out.
Old 12-20-2010 at 06:00 PM   #8
chung05

Liked: 0 Times

i just took it
reading the text book is important and you should read the chapters early cause there is alot and he takes 10-12 questions from the textbook and puts them on the test. Half of the text book question you can get right without reading the book by choosing the answer that sounds most relevant to the question , but it would be safe to read the textbook

i didnt buy the manual because about 90% of it was the same as lecture notes(pdf) but there were some where he would list points in the notes with no description so going to class or listening to his lecture recording is important in the end its better to just buy the manual and dont have to worry about printing notes plus he sometimes says things on the manual word for word

lastly, there is this online quiz for each chapter and he uses like 80% of those questions on the test so you have to do the same online quiz for example the topic about mood disorders you would have to redo the quiz over and over about 20 times to see majority of the questions and read them carefully since there are question on there with the same answer option but the question is worded differently
Great thing is he does this for the exam majority of it was from the online quiz also there is two guest lectures so going to class for that is important cause he uses questions from the guest lecture on the exam
Old 12-20-2010 at 08:28 PM   #9
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

I had this course this term.

For the courseware, it's basically just the slides printed out like we had in Psych 1X03. It's not necessary, but I suppose it's easier to organize and stuff. I saved myself the $40 and just used my lappytop for notes, and it worked just as well.

As people have said above, Dr. Dick Day is the prof and he's truly amazing, might I add. My favourite prof as of yet. He's so into the stuff he teaches, I love it. His teaching style is good, imo, but his midterms can be pretty tricky. 80% (I think) of the content on midterms is based on lectures and 20% from the textbook, but beware that the textbook questions are NOT easy. He asks the most random minute things that you may just overlook. That being said, it was hard to get 100 on the test, though there were a couple people on each midterm that did get 95+. =/ kudos to themm

The content is definitely interesting if you're into disorders and other mental illnesses such as depression, schizophrenia, autism, ADHD, mood/personality disorders, etc etc. Because there were at LEAST a few different disorders under personality, mood, somatoform, & anxiety disorders, it is VERY easy to mix up the etiologies, treatments, causes for each.

I definitely would NOT call this course a bird course, you need to put in time and effort to do well, but a 10+ is definitely doable.

Old 12-21-2010 at 06:54 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Loved the course, hated the testing style.

He doesn't care whether or not you understand the symptoms or causes of disorders. He cares about random stats that are incredibly inaccurate anyways, and minute details of random brain pathways. Also, heaven forbid you actually know something about anything he is teaching, because often on his MC questions he asks "which of the following did we/didn't we discuss IN CLASS" and then proceed to give you options that are all valid, but only some of which were discussed in class. You have to forget everything you know and resort to mindless memorizing.
Old 12-21-2010 at 07:01 PM   #11
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post

He doesn't care whether or not you understand the symptoms or causes of disorders. He cares about random stats that are incredibly inaccurate anyways, and minute details of random brain pathways. Also, heaven forbid you actually know something about anything he is teaching, because often on his MC questions he asks "which of the following did we/didn't we discuss IN CLASS" and then proceed to give you options that are all valid, but only some of which were discussed in class. You have to forget everything you know and resort to mindless memorizing.
fack. I hate that kind of testing style, but this course looks so good. I was excited for it :(

Old 12-22-2010 at 12:26 PM   #12
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

To the people in this thread who actually took 2AP3: marks are on the course webpage.

nerual says thanks to _Mike for this post.
Old 12-22-2010 at 09:51 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mike View Post
To the people in this thread who actually took 2AP3: marks are on the course webpage.
Adding to that, the distributions for the exam and overall mark in the course are also there.

One out of every ten students failed the course.
Old 12-22-2010 at 09:59 PM   #14
madhur7

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post

have to agree with u there... i was kinda disappointed that he focused too much on stats.. still dr day was an awesome prof only if he tested differently this course would have been uberly awesome