MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Into Life Sciences!!! meikaelahmad Academics 42 08-11-2010 12:10 PM
Life Science vs. Kinesiology Kyle 24 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 06-09-2010 03:47 PM
Kinesiology 1A03/1Y03 for 1st year Life Sci Freak705 Academics 5 08-17-2009 05:11 PM

Kinesiology vs Life Sciences

Old 05-06-2010 at 10:30 PM   #1
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Kinesiology vs Life Sciences
I've been trying to make a decision for the past little while between these two branches. I'm just wondering whether kinesiology or life sciences would be better for me, if my goal (At the moment) was pharmacy. Now, I know that pharmacy is extremely competitive, and I don't really have a "Back-up" plan per se. Would kinesiology be a little easier than life sciences? How are the job prospects for each field :(. Sorry for having so many questions. It's been bugging me for so many days!!!
Old 05-06-2010 at 11:10 PM   #2
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

I believe there's a biology & pharmacology program you can enter in 2nd year. Entrance into that program would be easier from Life Science I, as the biology programs typically require completion of most standard Life Science I courses (chemistry, biology, psychology, etc.)

If you're just interested in pharmacy, then I would just go with the program you're more interested in rather than worrying about which would be easier and which would be harder. Cellular biology or psychology are 'easier' than theoretical maths by the common definition, but I'd much rather study the latter and thus probably have a better chance of doing well as I'm actually interested in it - if you're interested in something, working to get the grade will probably not be as much of a chore. Oh, and you might actually be open to learning something from the course as well as getting the grade.

Last edited by Mahratta : 05-06-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2010 at 09:11 AM   #3
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
I've been trying to make a decision for the past little while between these two branches. I'm just wondering whether kinesiology or life sciences would be better for me, if my goal (At the moment) was pharmacy. Now, I know that pharmacy is extremely competitive, and I don't really have a "Back-up" plan per se. Would kinesiology be a little easier than life sciences? How are the job prospects for each field :(. Sorry for having so many questions. It's been bugging me for so many days!!!
I would highly recommend looking into the Pharmacy schools you are interested in and looking at their prerequisites. UofT for example has recently changed their requirements - they now need several chemistry courses (2 semesters general + 2 organic + 1 physical). UWaterloo has extremely strict prereqs which McMaster courses may not satisfy. Similarly, if you're interested in going to the States, it would be wise to look into the prereqs.

Also, while BioPharm is great and though it would prep you well for Pharmacy, I think if you're dead set on Pharmacy then something like Life Sci is much better - it has the flexibility to allow you to take all the required courses (most of which are 1st year sciences and then the 2nd year chem's). BioPharm is a long program (5 years including a co-op requirement) and this may set you back a few years unless this is what you are interested in.

Also keep in mind that in at UofT you can enter Pharmacy after your 2nd year of undergrad, having completed the prereqs.

So, I would choose Kin if thats where your interests lie AND if you are looking to complete your undergraduate degree. If you are sure you want to go into pharmacy and are willing to go in to it after 2 years, then Life Sci would be better.
Old 05-07-2010 at 11:25 AM   #4
R.L.

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I believe there's a biology & pharmacology program you can enter in 2nd year.
Actually, you apply for BioPharm in 2nd year which you enter in 3rd year, and it is a co-op program which is quite competitive (approximately 20 seats). It is a good program to get work experience in industry, labs, pharmaceutical companies and other academic areas. It also offers good networking opportunities which is always a plus. But I wouldn't call it a "pre-pharmacy" program because it doesn't deal with only drugs, it deals more with physiological effects of drugs such as enzyme kinetics.

Below is the link to the program site:

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/biopharm/
Old 05-07-2010 at 02:43 PM   #5
WavyOne

Liked: 0 Times

If you plan on going to a school like waterloo life science might be the better option as they have alot of prereqs for the program (which would be easier to take if you are in life science).
The Biology & Pharmacology program is a good program however please be aware that it is different than pharmacy. Many people do not realize that Pharmacology and pharmacy are actually different.
Old 05-07-2010 at 07:00 PM   #6
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

I was thinking about going into pharmacy myself. I'm currently in life science and and going into either Honours Chemical biology or Honours Chemistry. If you look at both Waterloo and UofT, their prereqs for pharmacy are similar. You need A LOT of chemistry, 2 maths, 2 bio etc. I have a friend in kine and he didn't even had to take chemistry, he took it as an elective. If you wanna go into pharmacy and would rather attend a uni in ontario, I'd go with either life or physical science.
Old 05-07-2010 at 09:46 PM   #7
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Thanks for the help everyone. Really helped me out with my decision .
Old 05-07-2010 at 10:53 PM   #8
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

You should really look into the prereqs for each school (waterloo, u of t)!!!

I think the best route is probably general science, so you can fill up your electives with prereqs. With that said, life sci and physical sci are probably both good options because a lot of your compulsaries will already be prereqs.

Oh, you're gonna have to work really hard when school starts. Don't get sidetracked.

Choose wisely!