MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
The New Blackberry Tablet Chad MacInsiders Announcements 10 10-02-2010 09:58 AM
Which tablet... Zuchowski First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-19-2010 11:06 AM
Tablet for Electrical/Bio Eng? PHLN First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 04-03-2010 08:23 PM

The Kno Tablet

A student-targeted tablet is about to hit the market called the "KNO Tablet". See video below. Would you buy something like this as a student, if all your textbooks were available for it?

And yes, it actually is real, see the CNET Hands-on:

Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 11-10-2010 at 08:41 AM   #2
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times
This would be awesome if all my classes had ebooks, but even as things are now only 2/5 classes I am taking have available ebook copies of the text, so this tablet wouldn't be very practical for me.

Old 11-10-2010 at 08:52 AM   #3
Yakattack
Chatbot 2.0

Liked: 80 Times
As awesome as it looks the $599 for single screen 16gb version and $899 for a dual screen 16gb version is what kills it for me, why get thing when I can get a laptop that can do so much more. The only benefit to this when compared to a laptop would be the touch screen. If the price was lower I would be all over this

Old 11-10-2010 at 08:57 AM   #4
REPLEKIA/.

Also I type a lot faster than I write, so a tablet Laptop would be more useful. Personally I'm waiting on the Intuos Hybrid U1. The screen comes off and becomes a tablet.

Sadly the release got pushed back, it was supposed to be released in October IIRC.

Afzal, bloodywarz, ikantsepll like this.

Old 11-10-2010 at 09:27 AM   #5
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times
dam that looks good, too bad i just got a kindle dx...it's really not that good for textbooks

Old 11-10-2010 at 09:35 AM   #6
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times
I hate reading off screens, so no. I wouldn't get it.

Old 11-10-2010 at 10:19 AM   #7
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times
Probably not - it's comparable in size and weight to my laptop, and I can type way faster than I can write, which is why I use my laptop in the first place for note taking rather than writing in notebooks. It shows it as a textbook reader in the video, but that would only work for textbooks that have been made available for it (and the higher level I get to, the less textbooks I actually need, for history anyway - we've been using more and more articles, memoirs, novels, etc rather than textbooks)

Old 11-10-2010 at 10:29 AM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times
for ebook users sure. but sometimes in certain courses good ole pencil n paper is better

Old 11-10-2010 at 11:24 AM   #9
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times
I just can't this having much of a market, at $600/$900 it'd have to save you a considerable amount on each textbook and have most of your textbooks available to be worth it (especially considering you lose the ability to resell). The $500 iPad seems like a more logical purchase (and even the iPad is already rather hard to justify).

You'd probably be better off with a $140 Kindle as an e-reading solution. None of these new techs seem ready for the education market yet, and publishers are going to have to see real value in them to switch over en masse.

Old 11-10-2010 at 11:28 AM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
God, I don't understand how there's ACTUALLY a market for this.

Why spend 300 dollars more on something that can do less than what your laptop can?
Want the actual tablet part? Get a laptop that comes with it. Spend however much more money it is (what can it be, 2 grand tops? I know jeff_chan has one, I don't remember how much he said it costs him)

So now you can read and write on your laptop, and have a 300 gig harddrive, and be able to ****ing actually do shit on it.

Makes me so mad.

AND IF I SEE ONE MORE PRODUCT USING THE ****ING APPLE/SAFARI/IPHONE INTERFACE, I WILL SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUST.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Afzal likes this.

Old 11-10-2010 at 01:04 PM   #11
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
Also I type a lot faster than I write, so a tablet Laptop would be more useful. Personally I'm waiting on the Intuos Hybrid U1. The screen comes off and becomes a tablet.

Sadly the release got pushed back, it was supposed to be released in October IIRC.
w-wait... is that what i think it is? intuos as in wacom's brand? DDD:
edit: I looked it up and it's called "ideapad"
u__u disappointed. it sounded like an amazing collaboration between wacom and a computer company to actually fulfill the needs of travelling digital artists everywhere, and given wacom's fine detail to pressure touch and all that.. would've been awesome. but no. wacom is too lazy to do anything like that.

still cool though.

Last edited by anon491 : 11-10-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Old 11-10-2010 at 01:08 PM   #12
sjager

Liked: 59 Times
looks better than an iPad for "learning"

Old 11-10-2010 at 02:06 PM   #13
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
w-wait... is that what i think it is? intuos as in wacom's brand? DDD:
edit: I looked it up and it's called "ideapad"
u__u disappointed. it sounded like an amazing collaboration between wacom and a computer company to actually fulfill the needs of travelling digital artists everywhere, and given wacom's fine detail to pressure touch and all that.. would've been awesome. but no. wacom is too lazy to do anything like that.

still cool though.
My bad, I was remembering the name off the top of my head and was looking at tablets yesterday. Sorry about that.

Old 11-10-2010 at 02:36 PM   #14
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times
Oh, yet another piece of useless overpriced technology.
would I get the iPad? No. Would I get this thing? No.

I have a cute little netbook as well as a desktop, and that is all I need.
Not any of this touch screen, pop out whatever it is. D:

Afzal likes this.

Old 11-10-2010 at 02:42 PM   #15
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times
Another product made 10 years before it'll become of any use.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search