MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Bird course to take? jordan19 Academics 1 09-18-2010 05:42 PM
Bird Courses Mellie First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 07-27-2010 07:02 PM
'BIRD' courses manaya Academics 9 01-08-2010 03:09 PM
Bird in the MSU AeRo General Discussion 16 12-08-2009 10:22 AM
I Need a First Year Bird Course... Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 11-13-2009 08:20 AM

Know what's actually the poorest/most boring 'bird course' ever?

Old 12-06-2010 at 08:45 PM   #16
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I agree. I hate when profs/TAs say "As long as you talk about something in tutorial, you'll get marks." Why?? What is the point of this. I learn nothing from hearing other students' opinions, or by stating my own.
This stuff only really works in certain courses ,where the material can be discussed in depth and would benefit from different opinions. Ex: Culture Studies.
Old 12-06-2010 at 08:52 PM   #17
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

lol, my friends are like in love with this course. And they like cell bio, except for the midterm. XD.

I hate participation crap too...and its in like every history course. I'd rather write a page outlining my views, or interpreting multiple views, and hand it in.
Old 12-06-2010 at 09:15 PM   #18
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
lol, my friends are like in love with this course. And they like cell bio, except for the midterm. XD.

I hate participation crap too...and its in like every history course. I'd rather write a page outlining my views, or interpreting multiple views, and hand it in.
Sounds like your friends need to get out of the keener corner and into the cool kids rings.

But seriously... how can ANYONE like this class?

Old 12-06-2010 at 11:47 PM   #19
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post

I'd rather do more actual physics than sit through this quasi-memorization drivel.

OH GOOD, THE NIGHT SKY SPARKLES!
What did you expect when you took a course called 'big questions' with no significant physics / math requirement? Something beyond a browsing-wikipedia-while-stoned treatment of the material?

Old 12-07-2010 at 12:08 AM   #20
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I know how you feel man. I took this course last year expecting it to be super awesome - it totally sucked ass.

The worst part was when I first walked into tutorial and realized my TA was the same douchebag I had for Physics 1E03 (one of those TAs that take their job seriously for no reason).

I got owned on the group presentation because apparently it wasn't 'creative' enough and got owned on class participation because other dumbasses liked to talk over everyone else. I tried really hard on the final poster with my partner and only got 79% (ya, my TA wouldn't give 80%) because it didn't have enough sparkles or a Z-axis of motorized dioramas and light-up things. I did alright on the journals, but lost lots of marks cause the dates showed they were slightly piled towards the end (seriously, I'm in engineering - I don't have time to reflect on what I learned about planets and shit every friggin' Monday - lemme finish it on my own time).

The plus side is though, the midterm and exam were super nub (like you had to be borderline retarded to fail either).

I came out with a 10, but I wanted a goddamn 12 >:U.

Pretty terrible course... I expected by the title "Big Questions" we'd be discussing crazy things like what it would be like if robots and unicorns took over the world or something.

The amount of material I learned in that course I could have gotten off of wikipedia in about 30 minutes.

Pretty terrible overall - definitely not a bird course like everyone says.
Old 12-07-2010 at 12:16 AM   #21
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
What did you expect when you took a course called 'big questions' with no significant physics / math requirement? Something beyond a browsing-wikipedia-while-stoned treatment of the material?
I do physics/astrophysics/math as well as biology/psych, so I was hoping it would be similar to my astronomy/physics courses without all the 'heavy lifting', and it certainly was, and it made me realize just how much the subjects really truly do blow when you remove the math/physics aspects (at least in practice) from them :/

Old 12-07-2010 at 12:19 AM   #22
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I know how you feel man. I took this course last year expecting it to be super awesome - it totally sucked ass.

The worst part was when I first walked into tutorial and realized my TA was the same douchebag I had for Physics 1E03 (one of those TAs that take their job seriously for no reason).

I got owned on the group presentation because apparently it wasn't 'creative' enough and got owned on class participation because other dumbasses liked to talk over everyone else. I tried really hard on the final poster with my partner and only got 79% (ya, my TA wouldn't give 80%) because it didn't have enough sparkles or a Z-axis of motorized dioramas and light-up things. I did alright on the journals, but lost lots of marks cause the dates showed they were slightly piled towards the end (seriously, I'm in engineering - I don't have time to reflect on what I learned about planets and shit every friggin' Monday - lemme finish it on my own time).

The plus side is though, the midterm and exam were super nub (like you had to be borderline retarded to fail either).

I came out with a 10, but I wanted a goddamn 12 >:U.

Pretty terrible course... I expected by the title "Big Questions" we'd be discussing crazy things like what it would be like if robots and unicorns took over the world or something.

The amount of material I learned in that course I could have gotten off of wikipedia in about 30 minutes.

Pretty terrible overall - definitely not a bird course like everyone says.
Exactly.

(extrawordsgohere)

Old 12-07-2010 at 12:48 AM   #23
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

last year, when i took it, she curved the marks at the end of the term. I ended up getting a 70 on both the presentation and the poster thing (the TA told me that they were told by the prof to rape us).

I figured she curved the marks because i needed to get more than a 100 on the exam to 12 the course. And i still got a 12

And the picture removing thing, yea i know, sucks.

Exams not too hard, common sense pretty much.
Old 12-07-2010 at 01:25 AM   #24
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

I don't know how the course is now, but I took it last year and found it pretty interesting! The T.A's at that time were really nice and approachable. I guess staffing changes aren't that great this year. Its super easy... so whats there to complain about? Would you want it any harder? The presentations did kind of suck but I know my group aced it, we put a lot effort into it and the T.A. rewarded us whereas the other presentations in our class really sucked and it they got the grades they deserved.

Last edited by Scuderia : 12-07-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-07-2010 at 03:29 AM   #25
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

The whole idea of a "bird course" is somewhat of a mystery to me. Sure you can decide to pick a course that seems to be less intensive (few assignments, tests, memorization, etc.) but in the end, if you don't enjoy the content that the course provides it will wear on you and it will be just as hard as any course.

Quite frankly i'm a little embarrassed that University students feel the need to take "bird courses" when they are supposed to be coming here to actually educate themselves. That's just my two cents though.

Last edited by mattatmac : 12-07-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-07-2010 at 07:51 AM   #26
Mazer

Liked: 60 Times

That's just ridiculous, have you taken every 'bird course' ever?
Old 12-07-2010 at 09:51 AM   #27
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
The whole idea of a "bird course" is somewhat of a mystery to me. Sure you can decide to pick a course that seems to be less intensive (few assignments, tests, memorization, etc.) but in the end, if you don't enjoy the content that the course provides it will wear on you and it will be just as hard as any course.

Quite frankly i'm a little embarrassed that University students feel the need to take "bird courses" when they are supposed to be coming here to actually educate themselves. That's just my two cents though.
You try taking 4 chemistry courses in a semester, deciding on your 5th course, and thinking "OH, I'm here for an education, let's take another extremely difficult course just to ensure I only manage 4 hours of sleep a night the entire semester in order to pass"
Old 12-07-2010 at 10:20 AM   #28
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

This looks like an astronomy course for special people, or am I mistaken?
(going based on the course outline)
Old 12-07-2010 at 11:00 AM   #29
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post

I used to think like you. Then I realized that essentially every program makes you take a bunch of garbage electives that are totally irrelevant to your program of study and the university never offers enough seats for courses that appear semi-interesting to you.

So yes, when you're FORCED to take garbage courses that are completely and utterly irrelevant and uninteresting to you and that cost anywhere from 500-700 dollars, then it might as well be an easy one.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

...?!, Ownaginatios like this.
Old 12-07-2010 at 11:05 AM   #30
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I have a few friends in this course and all they do is complain about it. It sounds horrible.