MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Core/Lab/Tut. not showing up? 5.98e24 Academics 1 06-28-2011 07:22 AM
tutorial after core jessica.lau Academics 5 06-26-2011 06:41 PM
2 professors, 1 core? IBB9780 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-22-2011 04:45 PM
chem core 2 Qadd Academics 1 09-10-2010 12:28 AM
core and lab strawbrryjam First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-11-2010 01:29 PM

lab before core

Old 08-22-2011 at 10:46 AM   #1
blueblue939

Liked: 0 Times

lab before core
Would you recommend having a lab before a core? As in, a chem core right after the chem lab?
Old 08-22-2011 at 10:48 AM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

it does not matter, the lab will be on the material learned a week or two weeks before (depending if you are an odd number lab or an even number lab, you wont know which one starts first until first week of school)

but yeah, no it does not matter, labs do not use information from material being learned in that week, it uses material from previous weeks or actually brand new information that you must have looked at using the lab manual and prelab questions.

Good Luck.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-22-2011 at 10:49 AM   #3
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

It really doesn't make much of a difference. You might be a little late to your lecture if your lab is in ABB and your lecture is in MDCL, but generally the first 5 minutes of a lecture aren't all that important.

The walk from ABB to BSB isn't as far, but you'll still probably be a tiny bit late if your lab takes the whole period (a lot of them do).
Old 08-22-2011 at 10:53 AM   #4
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
It really doesn't make much of a difference. You might be a little late to your lecture if your lab is in ABB and your lecture is in MDCL, but generally the first 5 minutes of a lecture aren't all that important.

The walk from ABB to BSB isn't as far, but you'll still probably be a tiny bit late if your lab takes the whole period (a lot of them do).

Great point, I forgot to talk about being late. Well there is only 5 labs a term, so you will be late to class a max of 5 times a term, that is not too bad. I had physics 1B03 core right after chem lab in my first year and I was late 5 times for physics but honestly considering the number of classes, being late 5 times is nothing.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-22-2011 at 10:59 AM   #5
blueblue939

Thanks. Also, who would you recommend as a chem prof? This year, both Emslie and Dumont are teaching chem 1a03. I know this is a subjective question, but any advice would be great
Old 08-22-2011 at 11:08 AM   #6
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblue939 View Post
Thanks. Also, who would you recommend as a chem prof? This year, both Emslie and Dumont are teaching chem 1a03. I know this is a subjective question, but any advice would be great
I second this question
Old 08-23-2011 at 07:15 AM   #7
leitaomj

i cant say for sure about those two profs. but what i can say from experience is stay the heck away from laundry. guys a douche :| always too quick thru his slides, speaks in a condescending tone...inno maybe thats just in my exp. but like you said this is a subjective questionlol
also if you get a prof from germany. for the life of me i cant remember his name. but he has a heavy (funny) german accent...HE IS THE BEST CHEM PROF i have ever had
Old 08-23-2011 at 07:16 AM   #8
leitaomj

OH the German prof is Stover. by far the best prof ever. i hate chem, and he made it fun and interesting!
(i had him for chem 1aa3 tho)
Old 08-23-2011 at 07:22 AM   #9
Freak705
Elite Member

I had Dr. Landry for chem 1A03 and I had no problems with him at all. He did skip some slides or work through them fast, but honestly the stuff he skipped was not important. I really don't know where you're getting the condescending tone from either :p If you knew chemistry from high-school then almost the entire class was review, so I had no problems with the pacing of the lectures.

I had Dr. Stover for chem 1AA3 and he definitely tries to engage everyone and make chemistry as fun as possible. Sadly he had to teach the 8:30am core, and it's pretty hard to motivate anyone at 8:30 in the morning...
Old 08-23-2011 at 09:13 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:

First-year chem labs are only 2.5 hours long, even though they show up as 3 hours on the schedule...so you should never be late for a class you have immediately after. The slots on the timetable for chem labs are 8:30-11:20, 11:30-2:20 and 2:30-5:20, but they definitely need more than 10mins to restock and clean up between sections, and get the next group set up and ready to go...so instead of ending on the :20, they end on the hour so that there's enough time to set up the next group. Students aren't generally permitted to stay late for this reason. Sometimes the 2:30 lab groups can get away with it, but they're generally not supposed to since it's not fair for those kids to get extra time that the other sections can't have.
Old 08-24-2011 at 07:45 AM   #11
Freak705
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
First-year chem labs are only 2.5 hours long, even though they show up as 3 hours on the schedule...so you should never be late for a class you have immediately after. The slots on the timetable for chem labs are 8:30-11:20, 11:30-2:20 and 2:30-5:20, but they definitely need more than 10mins to restock and clean up between sections, and get the next group set up and ready to go...so instead of ending on the :20, they end on the hour so that there's enough time to set up the next group. Students aren't generally permitted to stay late for this reason. Sometimes the 2:30 lab groups can get away with it, but they're generally not supposed to since it's not fair for those kids to get extra time that the other sections can't have.
I had 2:30 lab sections for Chem 1A03/1AA3/2OA3/2OB3. I remember in first year they'd really push you to finish your lab stuff by the hour, but it didn't always happen. There were a lot of times when people would be writing their reports until -:20+ . In Orgo, there were *always* people in the lab until 25 past.

Just my personal experience =)
Old 08-24-2011 at 08:02 AM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
I had 2:30 lab sections for Chem 1A03/1AA3/2OA3/2OB3. I remember in first year they'd really push you to finish your lab stuff by the hour, but it didn't always happen. There were a lot of times when people would be writing their reports until -:20+ . In Orgo, there were *always* people in the lab until 25 past.

Just my personal experience =)
Orgo labs are actually 3 hours, I believe...they're organized completely separate from 1A03/1AA3 labs, though.

For 1A03/1AA3 it depends on your TA, but TAs are told not to let kids go past the hour...I TA'd the course last year, and Jeff was pretty strict about this, because he didn't want to give one group an advantage over the others.
Old 08-24-2011 at 10:26 AM   #13
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

Im strongly against that... labs make you tired and put you into a "i dont care i just want to get out of here" mood, and you dont want to be going into lecture with that, you won't get the most you could out of lecture that way