MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volunteering in labs skk1 General Discussion 1 05-07-2013 01:24 PM
Farmstand Volunteering Farmstand Body & Food 0 05-23-2011 12:14 PM
Volunteering off-campus kevcom General Discussion 9 02-14-2011 02:14 PM
Volunteering joannasmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 07-19-2009 12:24 AM

Lab volunteering

Old 08-28-2013 at 03:44 PM   #1
skk1

Liked: 3 Times

Lab volunteering
Does anyone know if any prof is accepting volunteers?
Preferably in bio, chem, kin labs?
Old 08-28-2013 at 03:56 PM   #2
UnfortunateL

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by skk1 View Post
Check back in the summer for positions, first years generally don't get lab spots but it doesn't hurt to ask. As for volunteers during the school year, very unlikely as people get hired to do TA'ing.

KayS says thanks to UnfortunateL for this post.
Old 08-28-2013 at 04:03 PM   #3
skk1

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfortunateL View Post
Check back in the summer for positions, first years generally don't get lab spots but it doesn't hurt to ask. As for volunteers during the school year, very unlikely as people get hired to do TA'ing.
I'm going into my second year
Old 08-28-2013 at 04:07 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
What do hired TAs have to do with volunteering in a research lab?
Hired TAs (as opposed to grad student TAs) don't work in a research lab as a part of their position. If anything, it would be thesis and research project students taking up room in labs during the school year.

Anyways, if you're looking to volunteer in a lab you can check OSCARPlus and also email profs whose research you're interested in.
Old 08-28-2013 at 04:11 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

You would normally ask a prof or hand out resumes etc around term 2
Old 08-28-2013 at 04:15 PM   #6
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by skk1 View Post
No one is going to tell you who is accepting volunteers because people like to keep that information/opportunities to themselves and friends (no surprise here obviously). YOU need to email the profs in a GOOD email, and when I mean good I mean be polite, concise but includes everything you need them to know and make sure you read some of their research so it shows you are interested. I emailed ~50-70 profs every summer for research positions, you simply cannot just ask if any prof is accepting volunteers, you need to take initiative.

KayS says thanks to gggggg for this post.
Old 08-28-2013 at 04:20 PM   #7
UnfortunateL

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
What do hired TAs have to do with volunteering in a research lab?
Hired TAs (as opposed to grad student TAs) don't work in a research lab as a part of their position. If anything, it would be thesis and research project students taking up room in labs during the school year.

Anyways, if you're looking to volunteer in a lab you can check OSCARPlus and also email profs whose research you're interested in.
I don't know if he meant research or TA'ing, it was unclear so I covered both bases? No need to be rough for no reason.

Oscarplus is a great avenue, but doesn't give you any personal impression so unless your grades are amazing you don't stand out.

You're going to meet a bunch of profs in your labs this year, get to know them and their research find out if you like them then approach them via email or in person.
Old 08-29-2013 at 09:27 PM   #8
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

Lol you should be directly contacting the profs by a professional-sounding, specified email. Usually they don't take 2nd year students (they tend to favour 3rd or 4th year students) because some 3rd and 4th year students end up doing their own research project based on the course, so they are usually busy supervising those.

Otherwise, good luck! Send a nice, professional, and detailed email to the prof you are interested in working with and they may have a spot or two open!

Don't expect money, it's all volunteer for now! LOL

KayS says thanks to Bigmacfatpack for this post.
Old 08-30-2013 at 12:21 AM   #9
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

In my experience, profs will often accept free help from people. Just ask!
Old 08-30-2013 at 01:01 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
I don't know if he meant research or TA'ing, it was unclear so I covered both bases? No need to be rough for no reason.

Oscarplus is a great avenue, but doesn't give you any personal impression so unless your grades are amazing you don't stand out.

You're going to meet a bunch of profs in your labs this year, get to know them and their research find out if you like them then approach them via email or in person.
I wasn't "being rough", I was genuinely confused since you can't volunteer as a TA (whatever CUPE section it is that covers TAs would make sure of that - they already have major issues with peer tutoring and that's for academic credit).

I agree that OscarPlus isn't a great bet, but it's always worth trying. Some people I know looked there to see what labs were hiring and then sent an individual email to the prof, so that it looks more "personal" And that way, you know that the lab you're interested in is actually looking for people.

If you're in a small program then yes you'll be lucky enough to meet profs in labs, but if you're in something general like life science, you should go to office hours and meet profs in person.