MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hospital Volunteering... britb Volunteering Opportunities 11 07-25-2010 10:51 PM
Volunteering at Mac hospital t.dot Volunteering Opportunities 16 07-22-2010 09:16 PM
volunteering on campus cellphone Volunteering Opportunities 6 05-19-2010 09:55 AM
Interested in Summer Volunteering SSCLeadership Clubs & Groups 0 06-26-2009 01:37 PM

Volunteering

Old 07-13-2009 at 10:16 AM   #1
joannasmith

Liked: 1 Time

Volunteering
I will be a first year student at Mac this fall, and Im just wondering if anyone knows any great volunteer opportunities on and around campus more or less working with children/people.

thanks !
Old 07-13-2009 at 11:16 AM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Hey, check this MSU site out.
https://www.msumcmaster.ca/jobs/overview/jobs.htm

Scroll down a bit and you'll see volunteer opportunities. :]
Old 07-13-2009 at 11:20 AM   #3
jeffgreen

Liked: 8 Times

If you're interested in journalism, photography or graphic design & layout, volunteer at the Silhouette!
Old 07-13-2009 at 11:21 AM   #4
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Hey joannasmith, you should check out OSCAR on the Mcmaster University website. It has volunteer opportunities as well as other paid positions. You just need your macid to login I believe.
Old 07-13-2009 at 11:29 AM   #5
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

Last year, Sometime in late September/early October there was a volunteer fair at McMaster where you could learn about volunteer opportunities in the Hamilton & surrounding area.

mcinside, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Cristina_n13 for this post.
Old 07-13-2009 at 12:15 PM   #6
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

I think one of the great volunteer oppurtunities is to join the Maroons. It's fun, you meet lots of new people, you get a Maroon jumpsuit and so much more! Check us out!
Old 07-13-2009 at 12:42 PM   #7
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

OUSA Street Team
Old 07-13-2009 at 12:47 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

What's a Maroon, Rohan?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-13-2009 at 12:52 PM   #9
Phoenix

my name is Ronak not Rohan ahha....anyway here is the link to the facebook thread we posted on the Mac 2013 group
Old 07-13-2009 at 01:08 PM   #10
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

hey is it to late to become a maroon?
Old 07-13-2009 at 02:12 PM   #11
mcinside
Elite Member

Liked: 23 Times

Ok, so I've been seeing a lot of people with the SRA logo on their Disp pic. and I have no idea what it is..can somebody please explain?

Taunton likes this.
Old 07-13-2009 at 02:24 PM   #12
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

The SRA is the Student Representative Assembly. We're the legislative assembly for the McMaster Students Union (or MSU). We're like your Student Government at McMaster.

The SRA consists of 35 members from across the campus, all full-time students. We meet bi-weekly during the school year, and our meetings are open to all!

You could think of us like the House of Commons for the Government of Canada, or the House of Representatives in the United States.

We take student issues to the University Administration, we lobby Provincial and Federal Governments, and we provide services to the McMaster Community.

Check out the website here: www.msumcmaster.ca, and click the "student government" link for more information!

mcinside says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 07-13-2009 at 02:27 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post
The SRA is the Student Representative Assembly. We're the legislative assembly for the McMaster Students Union (or MSU). We're like your Student Government at McMaster.

The SRA consists of 35 members from across the campus, all full-time students. We meet bi-weekly during the school year, and our meetings are open to all!

You could think of us like the House of Commons for the Government of Canada, or the House of Representatives in the United States.

We take student issues to the University Administration, we lobby Provincial and Federal Governments, and we provide services to the McMaster Community.

Check out the website here: www.msumcmaster.ca, and click the "student government" link for more information!
Ooh that sounds awesome!!.. So much better than Student council in highschool XD

Taunton likes this.
Old 07-13-2009 at 02:31 PM   #14
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

It is awesome, and if you're going into First-Year, the MSU has the FYC (First-year council) for you to get involved with if you're interested in student politics. I believe those elections are in late September/early October.

If you want to join the SRA, then elections are held in March every year.

Keep the MSU website bookmarked and check it out frequently!

huzaifa47, mcinside, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 07-13-2009 at 02:49 PM   #15
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
hey is it to late to become a maroon?
For being a Welcome Week Maroon Rep, it is too late. However, anyone can be a Maroon during the year. So I recommend you come out to our opening ceremonies (TBA), and be a Maroon during the year! It's great to go to sports games and cheer on the Marauders. I know myself along with a couple other Maroons went to the Men's quarter finals basketball game at Mac, and we were nuts, and after the Mac coach came over to us and shook our hands and thanked us. It was really worth it