MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Philos 1E03, Labr St 1A03, Antrop 1A03 anonanon987 Academics 4 06-29-2011 02:11 PM
LABR ST and HLTH AGE macgirl14 Academics 1 07-19-2010 11:30 PM
LABR ST 1A03 as an elective? kuruczpa Academics 3 06-28-2010 09:21 PM
LABR ST 1A03 as an elective? Mr.Prodigy Academics 3 01-11-2009 12:05 AM

Labr St 1a03

Old 08-10-2011 at 07:06 PM   #1
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Labr St 1a03
Hey,

Did anyone recently take LABR ST 1A03? If so, can you please let me and everyone else who is potentially reading this thread for information on what the course is about? Do you have to be a strong essay writer in this course? What to expect, what not to expect, etc? Thank you very much,

herBs
Old 08-10-2011 at 07:27 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Anyone?
/12chars
Old 08-10-2011 at 08:00 PM   #3
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

I had it last year with Dr. Goutor. He's not the best lecturer I've ever heard but he's thorough, knows his subjects well, is willing to help with any problem you put in front of him and his expectations are clear for his assignments. Once you pick your essay topic, make a well formed argument and you'll easily get an A. That said, I wouldn't pick this class if you're planning on skipping, the details that get the A's on his exams are from the lectures. His exams are part Identify and Explain the significance of (5 topics), 1 or 2 short answers and an essay. Truthfully, he's one of the reasons I switched from Sociology to Labour Studies.

Hope that helps.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 08-10-2011 at 08:10 PM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemac View Post
I had it last year with Dr. Goutor. He's not the best lecturer I've ever heard but he's thorough, knows his subjects well, is willing to help with any problem you put in front of him and his expectations are clear for his assignments. Once you pick your essay topic, make a well formed argument and you'll easily get an A. That said, I wouldn't pick this class if you're planning on skipping, the details that get the A's on his exams are from the lectures. His exams are part Identify and Explain the significance of (5 topics), 1 or 2 short answers and an essay. Truthfully, he's one of the reasons I switched from Sociology to Labour Studies.

Hope that helps.
That sounds easy enough, thank you! How strong of an essay writer does one have to be to succeed in this course?
Old 08-10-2011 at 08:41 PM   #5
jackiemac

He seems much more concerned about how well you can argue your point over how eloquent you can be about it. Does that make sense?
Old 08-10-2011 at 08:44 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Sort of, I had to Google define eloquent. So he cares more about how well you can argue your point compared to how you actually write the essay (like bad grammar, or something?). Could you give me an example to better explain what he wants? Also, how bad are the readings? Is there a lot of readings/weekly or is it really easily manageable? Is the textbook required for the course?

Last edited by anonanon987 : 08-10-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2011 at 09:14 PM   #7
jackiemac

You've got it right. State your argument and then support it strongly. He does not care about big words or complex paragraphs as much as he cares about making sure you understand the concepts presented in class and how well you can relate to what you've learned.

There are not a lot of readings, I skipped a few readings in favour of making it to the lectures. If you take a picture of the table of contents for the courseware, I'll check and see how similar it is and sell you my copy if you want. They typically don't vary much year to year.
Old 08-11-2011 at 11:55 AM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

What do you do in the tutorials for this class and what was the mark breakdown of the course when you took it?
Old 08-11-2011 at 12:45 PM   #9
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
What do you do in the tutorials for this class and what was the mark breakdown of the course when you took it?
Tutorials would just be discussion of the readings for the week, assignments, etc. Breakdown for the course was something like 20% midterm, 20% tutorial (10 tutorials, 1 mark for showing up, 1 mark for particpation), 30% essay (I'm including the two assignments, the proposal and the actual essay), 30% final.