MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM
Need some laptop advice for life sci. Sultan Computers & Tech 8 08-16-2009 05:14 PM
This a good laptop for uni? $374 MacEng General Discussion 5 06-09-2008 11:28 PM

laptop advice/any good ones?:D

Old 08-12-2010 at 03:50 PM   #1
Zuchowski

Liked: 1 Time

laptop advice/any good ones?:D
hmmm, so I'M going into Engi First year and I'm getting a laptop....so... yea any advice? (i like to game... but i know i wont be in engi... :'( ) ive got a budget of 1500 give or take a few 100 (or just 100) im looking at either http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=ASUS or http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...%20Electronics ==DD
Old 08-12-2010 at 04:08 PM   #2
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

You may want to check out MacMicro for some of their back to school computer specials - they have also been working with UTS (University Technology Services) on some suggested models. http://bit.ly/dgV3d0
Old 08-12-2010 at 04:10 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Wrote this review, hope you find it somewhat useful:

http://eceplayground.com/2010/07/17/...are-some-tips/
Old 08-12-2010 at 04:11 PM   #4
Zuchowski

Liked: 1 Time

I forgot to mention I hate Apple with a Passion. And i have a budget of 1500 >.< i wana use all of it if possible this thing has gotta last
Old 08-12-2010 at 04:13 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ghlight=laptop
Old 08-12-2010 at 04:15 PM   #6
staceygab
Campus Store

lol - MacMicro has a lot more than just Apple and they do custom orders all the time. Worth a call to see if you can get educational pricing on what you are looking for.
Old 08-12-2010 at 04:16 PM   #7
oHierlihy

Liked: 0 Times

blue is back!
get a mac!
Old 08-12-2010 at 04:18 PM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceygab View Post
lol - MacMicro has a lot more than just Apple and they do custom orders all the time. Worth a call to see if you can get educational pricing on what you are looking for.
Educational pricing?

So if i find an ASUS laptop elsewhere, will MacMicro try to order it and match/beat that price?
Old 08-12-2010 at 04:25 PM   #9
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
I forgot to mention I hate Apple with a Passion. And i have a budget of 1500 >.< i wana use all of it if possible this thing has gotta last
I prefer Macs but my second fav would be the xps from dell.

I think the xps is one of the few good laptops from bell, you can get one all decked out with your budget.

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/studio-xps-1647/fs.

When in uni you dont want a bulky laptop. A lot of these high end ones tend to get bulky and their charging adapters are the size of half a normal keyboard.

One of my friends spent $1800 on a sony viao. The specs weren't amazing, they touched the min of the high end laptops. But what made the cost so expensive was the fact that it was made of carbon fiber. The thing was as light as a feather and so convenient.
I personally loved it

http://sonystyle.ca/webapp/wcs/store... oryId=1001325
Old 08-12-2010
staceygab
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-12-2010 at 04:34 PM   #10
staceygab
Campus Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Educational pricing?

So if i find an ASUS laptop elsewhere, will MacMicro try to order it and match/beat that price?
I don't really have that answer for you - you'll have to call MacMicro ( x24751, option 4, option 1) and ask them for specifics - I do know they offer educational pricing where ever they can.

It is worth looking into - if you find something better or different somewhere else that is one thing but if all things are equal it's nice to buy on campus. Not only because Bookstore profits are used to help fund Student Affairs programs but because they service the computers on campus.

If something goes wrong it can save you a trip to the big box which is a pain in the butt especially if you don't have a car.
Old 08-12-2010 at 04:35 PM   #11
blackdragon
Elite Member

Alright.

So say for example i find this laptop (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio..._17_F12-150010)

Whats the next step?
Old 08-12-2010 at 04:42 PM   #12
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Alright.

So say for example i find this laptop (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio..._17_F12-150010)

Whats the next step?
I personally doubt they will price match especially with tigerdirect.
Another retail store like Future shop or Best Buy etc. but not places like tigerdiret or Canada computers.

But it dosent hurt to try
Keep us updated
Old 08-12-2010 at 04:46 PM   #13
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

this is what i suggest.

1. you do not need a mac. mac is garbage for its price. it is merely a nice shell and looks fancy but the actual components are junk. sure it may be a bit smoother operating system (compared to msdos) and arguably has less viruses (only cause people dont bother making them for macs, too small of a population). if you can afford it or just love the look, be my guest. it is just with that money u can get a much better windows laptop. arguably, macs are only needed for art/communications related study since mac does own adobe and aton of that stuff

2. DO NOT GET A DELL/HP/TOSHIBA. their components are becoming cheaper and they tend to break really easy. Acer is kinda garbage imo, sony is abit overpriced just like the mac. My recommendation is an Asus

3. Buy ur pc online. Tons of cheap laptops/desktops available. My current pc was bought at around 55% original price. Check websites such as tigerdirect and newegg, usually have good deals

@blackdragon my pc i bought was exact the same but the processor was 2.13 ghz @ 800 bucks. that is a good deal. the only problem i see is the operating system, vista is pure garbage.
Quote:
TigerDirect.ca'S Price Guarantee
TigerDirect.ca'S PRICE GUARANTEE: Shop with confidence, our price guarantee includes time of sale price matching as well as 30 day price protection.

TigerDirect.ca’s point of sale price match policy: At point of sale we will match any competitor’s price on identical offers or items. The item must be in-stock, available for immediate shipment and be in the same condition as the TigerDirect.ca advertised item. Price matched items are limited to one per household. Sorry, but we do not offer price matches on any item that is advertised below TigerDirect.ca’s actual cost. TigerDirect.ca’s 30 day price protection policy: In the event our regular advertised price on an item falls within 30 days of your purchase date simply E-Mail us within 30 days of your original purchase date and we will issue you a Credit in the amount of the price drop good toward the purchase of anything else we sell. This price protection policy only applies to regularly advertised products and doesn't apply to limited time sales, instant savings offers, instant or mail-in rebates, private offers, auctions, open box items, limited quantity and close out items or other promotions or offers and may not be used in conjunction with other discounts. Due to fluctuations in the industry, CPU’s, Memory, and products or bundles containing a CPU or Memory (ex. Desktop and laptop computers) are not included in our price protection policy. Prices on CPU and Memory are subject to frequent change and we cannot offer price protection on these items and products containing these items in the event prices rise or fall.

Last edited by Leeoku : 08-12-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2010 at 04:46 PM   #14
staceygab
Campus Store

Quote:
Alright.

Whats the next step?
Visit, call or email MacMicro with a printout or link of what you are wanting and they will see if they can get it for you or may be able to suggest other models that would suit your purposes. More than one of our sales staff are gamers and all of them are grads of or are going to McMaster so they are pretty well versed in the types of computers students want/need.

I can't guarantee pricing or that they can get that model because I don't work in that department. However I can guarantee the people in Micro can answer any questions you have.