MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning Dorm Mich123 Residence & Housing 3 04-22-2011 11:36 AM
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM

Laptop cleaning?

Old 09-29-2011 at 01:23 PM   #1
Vuci
magnus

Liked: 0 Times

Laptop cleaning?
Hey,

I'm just wondering if anyone has cleaned or had someone clean their laptop externally (like your fans, heat sink and stuff) and if it actually made a difference (worth it?)?

My toshiba satellite been freezing on me lately and i've been using it for 3 years. I haven't ever cleaned it (from the inside). It didn't use to do anything I or others couldn't fix. So I'm wondering if I should get it cleaned out or buy a new one...
Old 09-29-2011 at 01:49 PM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

its not worth it, buy a new one. Honestly, laptops are so cheap now. just get a new one.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 09-29-2011 at 04:06 PM   #3
Elliott779

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
its not worth it, buy a new one. Honestly, laptops are so cheap now. just get a new one.
Laptops are cheap, but not as cheap as a 7$ can of compressed air.

That being said, an external cleaning wouldn't really result in a "speed boost" or anything, but it could solve a freezing issue, depending on what is causing it (i.e. overheating).

It's certainly worth a shot, for the price.

Vuci says thanks to Elliott779 for this post.
Old 09-29-2011 at 05:20 PM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuci View Post
Hey,

I'm just wondering if anyone has cleaned or had someone clean their laptop externally (like your fans, heat sink and stuff) and if it actually made a difference (worth it?)?

My toshiba satellite been freezing on me lately and i've been using it for 3 years. I haven't ever cleaned it (from the inside). It didn't use to do anything I or others couldn't fix. So I'm wondering if I should get it cleaned out or buy a new one...
Don't listen to Noor. Check the bottom side of your laptop or wherever the vents are, do you see a lot of dust? If so, opening it up and cleaning it could possibly help.

Vuci says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 09-29-2011 at 06:26 PM   #5
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Heat could definitely be a reason why your computer has been freezing, a way to check this would be to download a program called CPU-Z that shows the internal temperature of your CPU.

Generally speaking heat is the enemy of computing components, anything you can do to reduce overheating will optimize your PC experience. Like others have said, make sure that you clean out the vents as best as possible with a can of compressed air.

Hope this helped.

Vuci says thanks to mattatmac for this post.
Old 09-29-2011 at 10:41 PM   #6
camais

Liked: 30 Times

It could possible speed up your laptop. A lot of computers reduce the speed (lower voltage) when the cpu gets to a certain heat level as a precaution.
Old 09-30-2011 at 12:17 AM   #7
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Cleaning all the dust from the fans always helped me. The speed increase might have been in my head but your laptop will definitely stay cooler and quieter a lot longer, which is a big problem that eats away at your battery.

Plus you can find out if your laptop maker is a piece of sh*t or not based on where they place the fans.

Vuci says thanks to RememberTwce for this post.
Old 09-30-2011 at 05:41 AM   #8
Kerbs

Liked: 17 Times

Open it up and clean it out, a great learning experience and really fun to see the guts of what you are actually using.

Vuci likes this.