Laptop Room in Mills Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-14-2007 08:13 PM
New Laptop Area in Mills! KristaG General Discussion 1 12-14-2007 08:00 PM

Laptop lending in Mills, Innis and Thode

Old 04-15-2011 at 02:31 PM   #1
KristaG
Mills - Reference Librarian

Liked: 37 Times

Laptop lending in Mills, Innis and Thode
Laptop lending in Mills, Innis and Thode will be ending on May 1st. For more information, please see this post.
Old 04-15-2011 at 02:35 PM   #2
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

what will they do with them?... hopefully donate to local schools? or perhaps sell them at discount?
Old 04-15-2011 at 02:44 PM   #3
KristaG
Mills - Reference Librarian

Liked: 37 Times

that's a good question. I might suggest asking the contact people provided in the post to find the answer.
Old 04-15-2011 at 03:41 PM   #4
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

huh well im guessing that some of the students who usually borrowed them ( though most probably were too lazy to bring their own) didnt have one of thier own for some reason or other, maybe you could sell them ( at a resonable student price ) to those who demonstrate a need for one but dont have the money to go and buy brand new.
Old 04-15-2011 at 03:51 PM   #5
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

To everyone who voted for study space: I hate you.

/using a borrowed laptop now

I almost didn't get this too; the shelves were empty when I got to Mills but I saw one that someone had just returned and managed to snag it. If Mills is actually consistently running out of laptops, doesn't that imply that students think it's a popular program? And I think that if the Thode laptops weren't Macs and as good as the Mills ones, they'd be in more demand too.

There's almost always study space on campus; people just don't know where to look/haven't bothered looking outside the libraries and the Student Centre, which happen to often be the most crowded places on campus during exam period. Not so easy to find a laptop to borrow if you don't have one though.

Last edited by Entropy : 04-15-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Old 04-15-2011 at 03:53 PM   #6
Scarecrow
Dr. Crane

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
To everyone who voted for study space: I hate you.

/using a borrowed laptop now

I almost didn't get this too; the shelves were empty when I got to Mills but I saw one that someone had just returned and managed to snag it. If Mills is actually consistently running out of laptops, doesn't that imply that students think it's a popular program? And I think that if the Thode laptops weren't Macs and as good as the Mills ones, they'd be in more demand too.

There's almost always study space on campus; people just don't know where to look/haven't bothered looking. Not so easy to find a laptop to borrow if you don't have one though.
Yeah, we do have some major morons on campus. There are SO many open classrooms and desks and just random places to study on campus during finals it's ridiculous.

Mahratta, Scuderia like this.
Old 04-15-2011 at 03:55 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post

There's almost always study space on campus; people just don't know where to look/haven't bothered looking. Not so easy to find a laptop to borrow if you don't have one though.
I think people's idea of 'there not being enough study space' is : "LIEK OMG, MILLZ FIRST FLOOR IS PACKED!!11"

People are stupid.

p.s. you're poor
Old 04-15-2011 at 03:57 PM   #8
Scarecrow
Dr. Crane

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I think people's idea of 'there not being enough study space' is : "LIEK OMG, MILLZ FIRST FLOOR IS PACKED!!11"

People are stupid.

p.s. you're poor
I once ventured to Narnia

all I saw was a bunch of tired hipsters crouching at the far ends of bookshelves reading Proust
Old 04-15-2011 at 04:00 PM   #9
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

It's true that there are always study spaces. What I think should be, or is being changed, are the times those spaces are available. I like how Thode is running 24/7 right now, but I doubt that is going to be implemented further. Thode's still pretty empty.

I just hope that they extend the hours a little for every weekday, and that's good enough for me (and probably most people). Maybe they can even just leave the first floor of Thode open like the second floor of Mills stays open.

Last edited by justinsftw : 04-15-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2011 at 04:03 PM   #10
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
It's true that there are always study spaces. What I think should be, or is being changed, are the times those spaces are available. I like how Thode is running 24/7 right now, but I doubt that is not going to last forever, especially when I pass Thode at 8 a.m., while it's still pretty empty.

I just hope that they extend the hours a little for every weekday, and that's good enough for me (and probably most people).
couldn't agree more. also, I find it ridiculous that thode closes at 6 on fridays when most science students have evening midterms constantly on fridays.

in fact, every library closes at that time on friday pretty much :\ why?
Old 04-15-2011 at 04:46 PM   #11
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Yeah, me and my friend were kicked out of Mills last term and Thode this term whilst studying for our Chem midterm. It was sad.

Anyhow...THEY'RE ENDING THE LAPTOP LOANING PROGRAM?! How does having more study spaces equate to get rid of the small amount of laptops you're already loaning? What the heck...

AmyLia likes this.
Old 04-15-2011 at 04:47 PM   #12
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
also, I find it ridiculous that thode closes at 6 on fridays when most science students have evening midterms constantly on fridays.

in fact, every library closes at that time on friday pretty much :\ why?
You won't be seeing many friday midterms after first year
Old 04-15-2011 at 04:52 PM   #13
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay919 View Post
You won't be seeing many friday midterms after first year
thank god.

will they still be evening midterms, though? or is that just due to the large class sizes in first year?
Old 04-15-2011 at 05:42 PM   #14
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Anyhow...THEY'RE ENDING THE LAPTOP LOANING PROGRAM?! How does having more study spaces equate to get rid of the small amount of laptops you're already loaning? What the heck...

This was exactly what I wrote in that stupid little comments section they had on that survey. Why does one necessarily have to exclude the other?
I can see that if people vote for study space, you'd put your money into that and stop refining the laptop lending program.
But the laptops we have, why the f*** would we just throw those away? Why not put the money to study spaces if that's what students want, but leave the laptops as they are. Don't improve, don't buy more, but LEAVE THEM ALONE.

The fact that people even voted was a waste of time. What we should have done was boycott this stupid survey as a population, and made it clear how ridiculous the question posed was.

EDIT: I have emailed this guy (http://library.mcmaster.ca/contact/askey-dale) about what the hell went on and if I get a response explaining this ridiculous decision, I will post it (probably with more angry faces because it's bound to be some administrative mambo-jambo).

Last edited by AmyLia : 04-15-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-15-2011 at 06:06 PM   #15
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

Having study space in a library makes it more "legit/smart"

"Hey dude, where you heading?"
"I'm going the to library to study"

I've been to mills a few times and honestly its just a place to socialize. Majority of people are goofing around and doing anything but studying.