MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's a Library - STFU! JackBauer133 General Discussion 23 09-21-2010 09:15 AM
innis? aa84 General Discussion 8 12-09-2009 08:57 PM
course books available at library? macculkin General Discussion 3 05-13-2009 08:19 PM
library hours Richa General Discussion 3 04-10-2009 07:04 PM
How much are library fines? HeatherH General Discussion 6 12-02-2008 11:50 AM

Innis Library??

Old 10-17-2009 at 12:15 AM   #1
maryam17

Liked: 2 Times

Innis Library??
So its my second year at mac and am finding it really difficult to find a quite place to study, i can't stand how busy mills gets (even the upper flrs) and health sci is also really busy.....i heard innis was really quite but WHERE IS IT? I can't find it on the map??

thanks
Old 10-17-2009 at 12:17 AM   #2
maverick1990

Liked: 13 Times

go to kenneth taylor hall and its on the ground floor, just follow the hallway down where all the classrooms are and there should be a couple signs too.

danallan says thanks to maverick1990 for this post.
Old 10-17-2009 at 08:06 AM   #3
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Innis is not quiet at all. Or at least not during "school hours", 8-6pm. It's filled with Commerce students.
Old 10-17-2009 at 09:24 AM   #4
MDCL

Liked: 29 Times

from http://library.mcmaster.ca/policies/behaviour

Regulations Governing Personal Behaviour in the University Library (Mills, Innis & Thode)

NOISE: Loud conversation, offensive language, rowdy or disruptive behaviour is prohibited in all library spaces. During Exam Periods, designated Quiet Study areas will be established (Mills: 3rd - 6th Floors; Thode: 1st and 2nd Floors; Innis: Back room excluding group study rooms.)

Notice this reg applies to all spaces. If the university doesn't want to enforce it then students should be able to enforce this reg with tasers.

There is a mandatory fee for athletics. Then you can opt to pay an extra fee if you actually want to use the facilities. Why not have a library where you can opt in and pay a fee which will be used to hire security who will take a zero tolerance approach to students who don't follow the regs regarding personal behaviour in the libraries. Issue them with decibel meters and throw out the offenders. If they resist, tase them. Or for those with an eco bent, the university could make use of the third R and grind them up to make chilli in The Commons.

The precedent for charging an extra fee to use a university facility has already been set.

If you are, or can become a morning person, the libraries are pretty quiet for the first hour or so after opening.

The Health Science library carols on the ground floor farthest from the stairs are pretty quiet.

Last edited by MDCL : 10-17-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-17-2009 at 10:06 AM   #5
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

Innis is two floors above the Tank. When you get to the Tanks's stairway, walk up the stairs instead of walk down to the Tank and you'll see the front door.

jachill says thanks to mikefung for this post.
Old 10-17-2009 at 10:43 AM   #6
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

How big is Innis in comparison to the other libraries?
Old 10-17-2009 at 10:45 AM   #7
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
How big is Innis in comparison to the other libraries?
A lot smaller. Innis is ghetto
Old 10-17-2009 at 11:06 AM   #8
hollie012

Maybe try Mills 5th floor? It's a lot quieter...
I find Innis really loud too, a lot of people are there for group reports for Commerce courses and tends to be a hang out place for some.

If not.. you can book study rooms with your friends (if you guys can study without chatting)
Old 10-17-2009 at 11:21 AM   #9
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

My friend and I studied from around 5-10 PM yesterday in a classroom in KTH. It was completely quiet. Probably because it was late, not used and a friday. But you can find places like that on other days of the week. Just gotta hunt.
Old 10-17-2009 at 12:42 PM   #10
hollie012

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
My friend and I studied from around 5-10 PM yesterday in a classroom in KTH. It was completely quiet. Probably because it was late, not used and a friday. But you can find places like that on other days of the week. Just gotta hunt.
Actually lecture rooms aren't bad. But you have to make sure that you get into the building before they lock the doors! Well, unless you head over to the KTH, TSH, CNH lecture halls using the underground path
Old 10-17-2009 at 12:57 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I still have to come across that.. one day.. Anyone know where it's most likely to find an empty classroom? Since the libraries do get pretty loud.. when they're not supposed to =/ :(
Old 10-17-2009 at 01:01 PM   #12
hollie012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I still have to come across that.. one day.. Anyone know where it's most likely to find an empty classroom? Since the libraries do get pretty loud.. when they're not supposed to =/ :(
Maybe try HH or BSB.. There's a lot of classrooms there

~*Sara*~ says thanks to hollie012 for this post.
Old 10-17-2009 at 01:11 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollie012 View Post
Maybe try HH or BSB.. There's a lot of classrooms there
Thanks! I'll check both . By the way, there's no rules about studying in any of the classrooms.. are there? And what time would be best to go, just to make sure there aren't any classes who have the room booked?
Old 10-17-2009 at 02:54 PM   #14
hollie012

Quote:
Thanks! I'll check both . By the way, there's no rules about studying in any of the classrooms.. are there? And what time would be best to go, just to make sure there aren't any classes who have the room booked?
Hmmm.. I'm not sure about the rules, but I have never been kicked out at night when I go study.. Best bet is to go maybe at 9:30ish at night, since night classes probably ended anyways. I don't think people would book the classrooms at night after 10:00pm lol so you can just walk in and study I would recommend going to places like 5th floor of Mills if you want quiet study during the day. It's not too bad there..

~*Sara*~ says thanks to hollie012 for this post.
Old 10-17-2009 at 04:59 PM   #15
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryam17 View Post
So its my second year at mac and am finding it really difficult to find a quite place to study, i can't stand how busy mills gets (even the upper flrs) and health sci is also really busy.....i heard innis was really quite but WHERE IS IT? I can't find it on the map??

thanks
I usually go to Thode to study. I find it to be fairly quiet (the 2nd and 3rd floor). Then again, I cant speak for the evenings. I am usually there between 12 pm and 3 pm.

Quote:
I dont think that there are any rules. I would suggest checking out the classrooms 10 minutes after classes are suppose to begin (i.e., 3:30 or 7:30). If no one is there by then, the room is probably free to use. However, the room might be booked for the following hour, so you might have to move again.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to rrtt for this post.