MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's a Library - STFU! JackBauer133 General Discussion 23 09-21-2010 09:15 AM
Why Do You Love the Library? lorend MacInsiders Announcements 1 02-09-2010 10:50 AM
Overdue library fines... R.L. Financial Aid 8 12-18-2009 03:01 PM
library hours Richa General Discussion 3 04-10-2009 07:04 PM
Computers in the Library Rob Mac Academics 2 09-25-2008 08:22 PM

How much are library fines?

Old 11-30-2008 at 09:01 PM   #1
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

How much are library fines?
A book I had signed out was due on Friday, I just realized today that it is over due. I'll be taking it back tomorrow to pay the fines. But I'm curious, does anyone know how much it will be? It's just a regular book - not a reserve or anything.
Old 11-30-2008 at 09:21 PM   #2
webzn

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Books requested by other users are recalled immediately by email. You have until 14 days from the original loan date or 5 days from the date of recall, whichever is longer, in which to return the book, after which a fine of $2 a day or partial day is levied. It is the borrower's responsibility to keep the University/Library informed of his/her current address.
http://library.mcmaster.ca/borrow/#P... ningMaterials
Old 11-30-2008 at 11:28 PM   #3
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

So it'll be $4? Yikes.
Old 12-01-2008 at 01:28 AM   #4
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Library Fines = Ripoff central. It's even worse if you forget to bring back laptops/powercords, so watch out for that.

Old 12-01-2008 at 06:31 AM   #5
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Instead of paying the fines just renew the book online and then return it! Even if it's late you can renew it! I did that last week!
Old 12-01-2008 at 12:04 PM   #6
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

I did renew it online and return it today.

I asked the librarian about the fines. She said there are no fines on a regular book. If it's a recalled book (meaning someone has filled out a form online saying "I want this book as soon as it comes back") and you don't return it in 5 days or whatever, THEN it's $2 a day.

So I didn't pay any fines.
But she did say "If you have the book for more than a month or two, you have to buy it, so I guess it works out"

I think she was referring to if you have the book for a month or two after it's been recalled, but I'm not sure.

The book return box was so cluttered, it wouldn't close properly - someone could just reach in and pull out all the books if they wanted. Another girl and I were trying to fix it but we couldn't. I hope they empty the box so people don't steal the books. :/
Old 12-02-2008 at 11:50 AM   #7
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Yeah just renew online and then return them. Last year I had books that I just kept forgetting to take back and they were like a week over due and then I just renewed them online and returned them the next day.
girscex
This message has been removed by a moderator. .