MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Full courses (Linguistics & Mmedia) MacDaddy Academics 14 07-05-2010 10:42 AM
Please message me if you're going to drop MMedia 1B03/ I'm dropping two courses tiger Academics 6 07-04-2009 11:14 AM
Mmedia 2G03 vs Mmedia 2B03 lucy. Academics 7 06-18-2009 05:30 PM
Mmedia! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-14-2007 09:31 PM

laptop necessary for mmedia courses?

Old 07-25-2010 at 11:48 AM   #1
donner918

Liked: 0 Times

laptop necessary for mmedia courses?
i'll be bringing my iMac with me to MAC but i was wondering if having a macbook available to bring to class was at all a good idea. i'm in both of the first year media courses and communications. i'd originally decided to purchase an iPad since the savings would be enormous and i already had an iMac. should i stick with the iPad idea or purchase a macpro? THANKS

shay2014 says thanks to donner918 for this post.
Old 07-25-2010 at 12:17 PM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Lots of students in Multimedia and Communications have Macbook Pros but its not necessary. You'll already have the iMac with you so any work you want to do in residence/your student house you'll be able to accomplish using that. In first year there are also open computer labs for students on the 2nd floor of TSH for students taking 1A03 and 1B03 to use while at school to do their work. If you choose to major in Multimedia there's also a private computer lab we have that you get a key to in second year.

I had a laptop in first year but I basically never brought it to class. I found it was just a distraction personally and just from looking around the room I can tell other people in class are just browsing the net, playing games, going on Facebook etc on their laptops in class. I've found taking notes by hand to be much more efficient, I listen better and take in more information since I write it down and then go over it again when I study.

donner918 says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 07-25-2010 at 12:18 PM   #3
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

A laptop isn't necessary for the mmedia program as we have our own multimedia lab to do design work. But I would recommend having a desktop at home, just incase the labs are all occupied.

donner918 says thanks to Stan for this post.
Old 07-25-2010 at 04:16 PM   #4
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

I think the better question is... why do you want a macbook

I am the anti-mac... I oppose Apple computers in every form lol.

If you want something just to bring to class, buy a freaking PC, you don't need to blow $2000 on another mac when you already have one.

donner918 says thanks to bcars for this post.
Old 07-25-2010 at 04:25 PM   #5
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

id have to agree with above me. Another $2000 for something almost identical to ur imac sounds like a waste of money. An Ipad probably isnt too bad an idea but without a physical keyboard, note taking could suffer. In my experience, a lot of people who have powerful desktops at home usually get a very cheap netbook. The functionality of a netbook is superior to the ipad for a business/student oriented consumer as ipads are multimedia driven, not to mention cant display flash sites (as of now). I agree macs are better for multimedia students, but do you really need two high ed ones? Up to you tho.

donner918 says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.
Old 07-28-2010 at 04:53 PM   #6
donner918

Liked: 0 Times

THANKS! i think i'm going to stick with a pen and some paper because you're right, i don't actually NEED more, and it'll save a ton of money!