MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
New Search Options Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-05-2010 01:35 PM

LAPTOP Search

Old 07-16-2010 at 02:54 PM   #1
shay2014

Liked: 4 Times

LAPTOP Search
What are the best laptops to buy for a first year student planning on majoring in communication and multimedia. I know nothing about computers and would really love to know what laptops people favour. MAC, DELL, PC....... let me know thanks.

Last edited by shay2014 : 07-16-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-16-2010 at 03:26 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Definitely not mac.

Go with an ASUS from newegg.ca or tigerdirect. Try to avoid stores like BestBuy and FutureShop, stuff is way overpriced and they don't carry good brands like ASUS

shay2014 says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 07-16-2010 at 03:30 PM   #3
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

whats your price range?
Old 07-16-2010 at 04:29 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Got this email today, CC is having a sale on all their ACER laptops

http://www.canadacomputers.c om/adv...filter_id=ACER

shay2014 says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 07-16-2010 at 05:02 PM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Toshiba.

/thread

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

sew12 likes this.
Old 07-16-2010 at 05:14 PM   #6
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Toshiba.

/thread
care to elaborate, Toshiba's have terrible designs and mediocre battery life. If your limited on funds go with the Asus Ul30 series. They have around 10 hours of battery and are very thin. If your not limited on funds take a look at the new Hp envy 14, i just received mine today and its amazing. Powerful processor, 5 hours of battery, ati 5650 switchable graphics, 6 gb of ram and a 1600*900 14.5 screen. Ill post up pics later today.

shay2014 says thanks to healthsci1 for this post.
Old 07-16-2010 at 05:21 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

wtf is a labtop?

amitoj, shay2014 like this.
Old 07-16-2010 at 05:31 PM   #8
homeskillet

Liked: 8 Times

dillon your comments always make my day lol
Old 07-16-2010 at 06:05 PM   #9
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

first off, PC is not a brand: it has become (by popular belief) the name of a computer with a windows operating system.
-A Mac would not be a terrible choice for a multimedia student, as Macs are best for this purpose. And i say this as a big fan of Windows 7 and PC's. So not a bad choice if you have the money, and understand that you may NOT be able to run incompatible programs unless you have a bootcamp or VM (running windows on a mac).
-I agree with one of the above statements. Do not look at Bestbuy, Futureshop, Staples, etc. Instead look at Tiger Direct, Canada Computers, or Online.
-Dell, Asus, and Lenovo (IBM thinkpad) all make the best laptops and have the greatest power/money. I personally have a lenovo and love it, its combination of very high performance and exceptional battery life is rare. But Dell and Asus are good too.
-Consider a 14.x inch notebook. Many people have complained that dragging a 15' or larger notebook can get annoying. I find my 15 inch laptop perfect but i prefer to write my notes and use my laptop as a portable desktop for libraries and such, and do not bring it to class often.

shay2014 says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.
Old 07-16-2010 at 07:32 PM   #10
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
wtf is a labtop?
Labtop

Dell ftw!
Old 07-16-2010 at 08:56 PM   #11
LukeEngineer

Liked: 5 Times

Asus and Acer are the best in my opinion. I've owned an acer laptop and desktop before and they both worked great and very affordable well cheap compared to the other brands. Toshiba makes nice laptops (my sister has one and hasn't had any problems with it so far about 2 years) but they cost more.
Old 07-16-2010 at 10:09 PM   #12
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Dell... is not bad. But for the same price, you can get something slightly more... attractive.
Toshiba is alright, except they have some serious design flaws. Such as unbelievably bad wireless cards.
I have an HP havent had any problems with it and the customer service is pretty decent. My only issue is my computer's very glossy finish, which attracts smudges like health sci attracts overachievers.
Asus is very good, but can be quite expensive.
Acer... just avoid completely.

Notice how I've avoided Apple products all together, thats because I dont think they have anything on Windows. Especially Win7.

So for communication/multimedia, I'd advice something with a decent screen size. None of that netbook stuff.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

shay2014 says thanks to Rayine for this post.
Old 07-17-2010 at 12:40 PM   #13
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

I have been using my Dell XPS m1530 for 2 years now, and it is a fantastic piece of machinery. However, they replaced the XPS m1530 line - the new line is pretty much the exact same build as the m1530, but I don't know how it fairs overall.

Toshiba used to have the satellites back in the day, and I thought they were decent enough but I think the quality has degraded considerably.

Probably safe to go with Asus or something if you're looking for something cheap and can do a decent amount of work. Though, if you want to be totally cool like all the new kids on the block with their Iphones/Ipads, maybe wait until august (I believe) when the Toshiba Libretto W100 comes out. But wait for consumer reviews - chances are, it'll probably be a big battery drainer and what else have you.

Old 07-17-2010 at 02:06 PM   #14
juntom10
I'm cool. You know that.

Liked: 7 Times

Lenovo
Old 07-17-2010 at 03:12 PM   #15
blackdragon
Elite Member

Check this out for some help: http://eceplayground.com/2010/07/17/...are-some-tips/