MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Notebook vs Binder vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 31 09-13-2010 02:55 PM
Netbook vs Notebook Sultan General Discussion 11 08-16-2009 11:32 AM

Laptop vs. Notebook

Old 09-09-2009 at 10:50 AM   #1
jordko

Liked: 13 Times

Laptop vs. Notebook
Hey guys, I was just wondering what would be better for the first day, a note book or laptop? Also can we use laptops all the time? Will we ever need a notebook?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2009 at 10:54 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordko View Post
Hey guys, I was just wondering what would be better for the first day, a note book or laptop? Also can we use laptops all the time? Will we ever need a notebook?

Thanks
A notebook as in a book of paper?

You should probably just bring a notebook since you won't be taking intensive notes. You'll probably just have to note down important information regarding contacts and course information. But generally that information is already in the course outline.

But yes, notebook just in case (or a pad with a couple pieces of paper).
Old 09-09-2009 at 10:55 AM   #3
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

That depends on your courses, and how you want to take notes, if you want to take them at all.

Just take both, and decide later which works better for which courses.
Old 09-09-2009 at 10:58 AM   #4
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordko View Post

Thanks

If you're going to take any lectures wherein you'd be writing down formulae or drawing diagrams, then you'd be better off with a regular old notebook. They're also a lot less heavy than a laptop, and tend to be less prone to being stolen.

Finally, considering the writing space most lecture theatres give you (a small fold-out wood slab), a small notebook's the way to go.
Old 09-09-2009 at 10:59 AM   #5
Stephy

Liked: 0 Times

both are always handy...laptops have a tendency to not work when you need them to (at least in my experience)
Old 09-09-2009 at 11:02 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I would also like to add that I was addressing the first question about the first day of class.
Old 09-09-2009 at 11:13 AM   #7
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Both are handy, but first day of classes you'll probably want to stick with a notebook.

Whether or not you could use laptops depends (I had a prof that was against it last year, but she changed her mind after the midterm).

Also it depends on what class you're taking. If it's something that has a lot of powerpoints or notes, having your own copy of the slides on a laptop can be handy. If you're taking math, a laptop's going to be more of an annoyance (unless you got a tablet, but even then for math I preferred lined paper to a tablet)
Old 09-09-2009 at 11:49 AM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

First day of class: just bring a notepad/notebook.

Any other day: I take notebooks for math classes. I use my laptop for any other class, especially when I took Classics. There was A LOT of notetaking, and let's face it... most kids can type like, 70 words a minute. >_< Doesn't compare to me scribbling down notes that I can't even decipher at a later date.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.